joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell that to the Euro OP re: January 2015. Full-on blizzard then under 12 hours merely flurries for my area. Sometimes I wonder how much of an improvement we truly have made. Certainly some, but there are clearly still major discrepancies/errors at times.

I would not call that a major error.  you were on a knife edge of a 50 mile extreme rare gradient as i understand it

Fairly stunned at the negativity in the Metro... We had the King and its ensembles come aboard in a big way, and every other model held serve. The 18z gfs was a step down, sure, but not like it took the storm off the table. And there are still some prolific solutions, too.

When the worst model solution is an off hour run that gives 8-12 for most, and the majority of posters are complaining, something's definitely amiss.

I think we've been burned by the extreme solutions that haven't verified so are looking for everything that can go wrong.

How good are the sref usually at this range. I'm holding out hope an hoping things trend north. I want to see an all out blizzard on coastal Monmouth cty

If you're really in Belford, how much snow we're getting shouldn't be your primary concern. You might want to be brushing up on your backstroke. NWS is forecasting tidal departures of 8 feet or more. 

Fairly stunned at the negativity in the Metro... We had the King and its ensembles come aboard in a big way, and every other model held serve. The 18z gfs was a step down, sure, but not like it took the storm off the table. And there are still some prolific solutions, too.

When the worst model solution is an off hour run that gives 8-12 for most, and the majority of posters are complaining, something's definitely amiss.

I think we've been burned by the extreme solutions that haven't verified so are looking for everything that can go wrong.

i'm on board. there isn't a 3sd -nao to keep the confluence in place this time and latent heat release should pump the ridge enough for us

i'm on board. there isn't a 3sd -nao to keep the confluence in place this time and latent heat release should pump the ridge enough for us

It's challenging, for sure. I mean, a whiff is not impossible but I'd be almost less shocked by 12+.

Colleagues were pestering me for a call on my way out the door - I said 6-12 - but feel only 60% confident in that rather large range.

remembering many a bust in the 1960's we have come a long way with weather forecasting...Just watching satellite pictures makes it easier...back in January 1962 I awoke to a heavy snow warning on the radio...I looked out the window and the Sun was shinning...the greatest busts I lived thru were March 3rd 1960...The morning forecast was snow changing to rain with moderating temperatures...another heavy snow warning a week later...The storm missed Manhattan but grazed southern Staten Island with 3"...Saturday January 9th 1965 there was no mention of a snowstorm the next day...I awoke to heavy snow falling...late December 1967 had a heavy snow warning with snow falling...two hours later it changed to rain with no warning...February 9th, 1969 was another big bust...the forecast was for snow to turn to rain...they missed the bombing coastal again...now when a ten day forecast busts we get pissed...

I think what you're seeing is two things. First, there are people on this forum who live in Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Orange, Rockland ... who would like to see a good storm in their area ... and the models have a sharp cutoff and have trended down in QPF for those areas. Secondly, from what I can recall in general for the NYC area, the accums have come down quite a bit from the potential that the GFS was showing a day or two ago. When one or more models spits out the potential for 12-24" totals, you are going to see people a little disappointed with 8-12.

Do you think it will verify? I thought winds were looking less severe....

Even "less severe" looks to be 30+ kts for a sustained period of time with a lot of fetch during a high astronomical tide. Mt. Holly has been saying all day that this could be a "top 5 historical flooding event" for the Jersey shore. Monmouth County OEM is taking it pretty seriously - unless the models seriously back off over the next 12-18 hours, there will be voluntary evacs.

I think what you're seeing is two things. First, there are people on this forum who live in Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Orange, Rockland ... who would like to see a good storm in their area ... and the models have a sharp cutoff and have trended down in QPF for those areas. Secondly, from what I can recall in general for the NYC area, the accums have come down quite a bit from the potential that the GFS was showing a day or two ago. When one or more models spits out the potential for 12-24" totals, you are going to see people a little disappointed with 8-12.

Oh, I get the frustration.

For the Metro, though, yesterday was more of a funeral parlor after the Euro disappearing act.

One word: Juno

If you're really in Belford, how much snow we're getting shouldn't be your primary concern. You might want to be brushing up on your backstroke. NWS is forecasting tidal departures of 8 feet or more. 

No, this is just wrong.  They are calling for a departure of approx. 3' at Sandy Hook.

post-2848-0-45930700-1453341975_thumb.gi

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/mdl/etsurge/index.php?page=map&region=ne&datum=msl&list=&map=0-48&type=&stn=

Archived