joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ensemble means are useless in an all or nothing situation like this. members with 0 bring down the mean very quickly

The vast majority of members show less than .5" QPF for KLGA. There are multiple members that show almost 0". Only a handful show a warning-level snowfall. On Monday, nearly all showed a major snowstorm for NYC. That should be alarming.

The vast majority of members show less than .5" QPF for KLGA. There are multiple members that show almost 0". Only a handful show a warning-level snowfall. On Monday, nearly all showed a major snowstorm for NYC. That should be alarming.

Since then they have been southeast. Op runs were alot better than the ensembles with the last storm.

One more thing, I don't know if it was noted but you know how you guys said that on the GFS 18z PHL taints aka mixes. Well I went on Coolwx and found this. It looks like KPHL stays all snow which is good. So should this be trusted over the precip maps like on tropical tidbits because they did show GFS tainting philly.prec.png

Interesting read about Blizzard of 1996. The models were originally too progressive and threat area had to slowly be moved into the NYC area.

Uncertainties in the storm track, noted in the medium-range guidance from several days earlier, continued with the shorter range guidance that was produced on Friday, January 5, and Saturday, January 6. Relatively small shifts in the storm track often cause large changes in the weather in certain critical areas, and this storm was no exception. As the weekend progressed and the storm began to track further north and west, the numerical and HPC guidance began to shift the forecast of the outer edge of the snow shield further north and west. This placed additional areas under the threat of heavy snow, including much of Ohio, northern Pennsylvania, southern New York, and more of southern and central New England. Forecasters in these areas had to play "catch up" by issuing Winter Storm Warnings with shorter lead times and forecasts with increased snowfall amounts.

source: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/assessments/pdfs/bz-mrg.pdf 

In theory, the models should be better than they were 20 years ago.

Tell that to the Euro OP re: January 2015. Full-on blizzard then under 12 hours merely flurries for my area. Sometimes I wonder how much of an improvement we truly have made. Certainly some, but there are clearly still major discrepancies/errors at times.

In theory, the models should be better than they were 20 years ago.

In theory yes, but never underestimate a dynamic system like this. It will certainly have a few tricks up its sleeves. Just hoping it lays down some good ones right in the NYC metro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived