joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is one thing that gives me faith that maybe the 6z GFS caught on to something. The storm that we get is caused by a much stronger PAC NW shortwave coming into the US around 96 hours....compare that to 102 hours on the 00z GFS.

Maybe the morning data picked up on something, who knows. If it gets too strong though I'd get worried about that ULL that cuts itself off from the flow (look @ some of the individual 6z ensembles) 

That was one goofy looking run though. 

The euro ensembles are all over the place but have some really snowy members and the ens mean snowfall is almost 3 inches.. Still not a great look to the mean pattern for the late week storm better than the operational.   That the models are still jumping around from run to run suggests things are hardly settled. 

06z GFS is showing what it showed a couple days ago. Definitely an option but as others have stated, all the models don't have a handle and they are all jumping around. But it was a great run - and supports somewhat, what the GFS Para had been showing at times yesterday (esp. with temps). Last nights 0z GFS para had a storm but slips to our south and OTS but it is close.

We are down to 160 hours tho... and some of the ingredients to make this happen are within 120 hours (5 days) so hopefully the models decide on something over the weekend.

Hopefully it is a positive, snowy solution for our region.

6z GEFS members are similarly all over the place as the EPS, with some pretty snowy solutions in there.  Mean snowfall is about 2" for that period on the GEFS (a few shutouts, a few big hits).  I posted the 6z individual members total snowfall through next weekend (pretty much all on the individual plots falls due to this storm).  Lots to resolve over the next week.  

post-3516-0-87187000-1452951647_thumb.pn

FWIW, yesterday's 12z EURO parallel has a nice hit for the end of next week. Bullseye is south of DC with a stripe of 6-12 inches going all the way to Richmond. DC gets around 4 inches.

It's an interesting take. We get most of our precip in the DC area when the slp is way down over new orleans. Return flow from weak hp off the SE coast pushes a tongue of precip right through the TN valley into the cold air from the hp to the north. Basically an overrunning event and not synoptic. Weak low forms off the nc coast and strengthens. That's where the heavier stripe to our SE comes from. The synoptic stuff just scrapes us mostly but SE of here does quite well.

ETA: taking a closer look at the parallel shows a long duration event because of the way it evolves. 18-24 hours. It's like a mini pd2. Lol

^ There is a pesky shortwave around the Lakes that might block the HP from building in where we need it, but the 500mb pattern looks pretty decent. This is the first overnight runs that have been all around positive in a long time. If we can get the 12z GFS to show something similar & maybe get lucky enough for the 12z EURO to show a hit, I will start to get excited. 

^ There is a pesky shortwave around the Lakes that might block the HP from building in where we need it, but the 500mb pattern looks pretty decent. This is the first overnight runs that have been all around positive in a long time. If we can get the 12z GFS to show something similar & maybe get lucky enough for the 12z EURO to show a hit, I will start to get excited.

Lol

Do you mean that all the REALLY's, WOW's, and LOOKING GOOD @ 162!'s, aren't you being excited?

;)

Lol

Do you mean that all the REALLY's, WOW's, and LOOKING GOOD @ 162!'s, aren't you being excited?

;)

Haha I am a wx enthusiast what can I say. However, with basically every threat we've seen come and go this year once it got within 144 hours it kind of went poof except maybe a stray GFS run here and there. There is a small shot that we actually see this one come together today in that time frame so I'd def be legit excited if it does. Wouldn't mean it is over or a lock regardless of the outcome, but compared to the rest of the threats this year it will be hard not to get excited if we do get a good 12z suite. 

Archived