joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/17/16 Winter Weather Threat

packfan98

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting to see the precip estimates ramping up. Anyone happen to know how the NAM and SREF did with yesterday's system which overperfromed? More precip is good, but I don't see the temps being there for most outside of elevation. Still 59/60 here and I already see a few clouds rolling in from the SW. That is not a good recipe for wintry weather.  

Raleigh says...

Near term /today/...
as of 1215 PM Saturday...

Temperatures had already 'soared' into the 50s by noon across
central NC...downstream of a lead surface cold front that remained
pinned in the Blue Ridge. High temperatures have consequently been
raised into the range of middle 50s to lower 60s...which will
further warm already-mild soil temperatures that were measured in
the middle 40s to 50 degrees earlier today - not good for
accumulating snow
potential Sunday morning...despite slightly higher
liquid equivalent totals
per the latest 12z model data. 

hmmm so maybe I shouldn't go to wnc. Doesn't look like much precip there

I had thought about going to gainesville today/tonight since i'm fairly confident it will be cold enough from atlanta to gainesvlle northwest to see flakes, if they fall,  but now not sure if it's worth the effort. Especially since there is a chance they could actually be just to the north of that banding feature and that's your best bet outside the mountains to see anything falling heavy enough to enjoy the view, even if it's only for an hour.

HRRR/experimental hrrr, in general puts that stripe down where the nam has it....generally along or just south of i-85 into the upstate.

cref_t6sfc_f15.pngcref_t6sfc_f19.png

It's hard to believe after seeing the radar and satellite loop with what looks like the stj kicking in that we are trying to scrape of a tenth or two.

It sure looks ripe for picking! To be just trying to get tenth or so? Gotta believe it over performs for somebody in central/eastern NC. Good luck everybody that's wanting some flakes!!! ⛄️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shows same thing for GSP but I'm thinking that's a little high considering ground temps I'm in Pickens SC and we got to 59° today. So we would need to see some pretty hefty rates to overcome those ground temps.

Archived