• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/17/16 Winter Weather Threat

packfan98

closer look. the base reflectivity image isn't as impressive obviously but if you are downstream over south carolina/nc it would be hard to look at radar and not think something good might happen.

cref_t6sfc_f24.pngN

Not sure how well hhhr does with temps aloft in situations like this but fwiw here is the 850s. 925mb/surface temps are still way too warm most areas but interesting to look at.

temp_t6850_f24.png

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

closer look. the base reflectivity image isn't as impressive obviously but if you are downstream over south carolina/nc it would be hard to look at radar and not think something good might happen.

cref_t6sfc_f24.png

Yes sir. Looks great here just south east of Henderson county. Nice fetch if it sets up this way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

experimental HRRR is showing some fairly impressive banding over ga/sc. Probably better news for the carolinas than here. It's a shame this is such a quick mover and initial conditions are so warm that what precip that does fall is mostly used up as rain and cooling the column.

This upcoming storm system is very similar to Feb 2010, minus the well entrenched cold air. This system appears to have a ton of convection and plus you alluded to it being such a fast mover, that moisture transport will be limited, not so much to convective robbing, but the fact the system is hauling tail.

Interesting on Friday's system produced a Gravity Wave in the Carolinas with a lot of wind damage reports from the Midlands and Pee Dee Region as well as Eastern NC. The atmosphere is turbulent, that's a given and should bode well on a storm threat that is cold enough for this season should another threat arise.

Yeah, I'm liking the trends. I hope the trends with the temps continue.

What we need is for the clouds to hold off/stay thin so we can get rid of this heat we are getting today.....if we can get temps down to around 32-33 before the cloud deck comes back in and bounces them a few degrees it will be better....

Do the temps look any colder or air any dryer tonight? Down my way, it makes me very nervous that the front is coming through this evening, as there is usually a 12 hour lag for the cold getting over the mountains!? It's been alot of model watching to reel in a cold rain.

Cold front should be through your area much sooner than that. It's almost through my area now.

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/sfcloop/radsfcus_exp_test.html

What we need is for the clouds to hold off/stay thin so we can get rid of this heat we are getting today.....if we can get temps down to around 32-33 before the cloud deck comes back in and bounces them a few degrees it will be better....

Haha when does that ever happen, man? But yes, you are 100% right about that.

RN/SN line sets up from about Henderson down to Rock Hill and make a run at 95 but never quite gets there.

yep looks like we get to watch RDU and west maybe get some snow....not exactly the first time thats happened :rolleyes:  and damn sure wont be the last lol.....still happy for those that luck up and will need pics to live vicariously through..

Archived