• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/17/16 Winter Weather Threat

packfan98

Do the temps look any colder or air any dryer tonight? Down my way, it makes me very nervous that the front is coming through this evening, as there is usually a 12 hour lag for the cold getting over the mountains!? It's been alot of model watching to reel in a cold rain.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/nam/2016011612/nam_T2m_seus_9.png

When heaviest precip is over your area

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rgem was again further north this morning as well. Nam is looking better. We really don't need a massive trend and that is why we are even still talking abt this. Another .1-.3 qpf wetter and some ends up with 2-3 inches of snow

For 12z I would watch the rgem. It's ahead of other models and nam just jumped pretty close to it. If the 12z rgem is even better....

The difference between getting .1 and .5 inch of liquid is not that drastic. I wouldn't be surprised to see the models trend wetter today. It looks like there is some jet dynamics going on across the upstate causing a band of heavier precip to set up on the NAM... maybe the models will start to key in on this?

Also, at first glance, the boundary temps on the NAM don't look too bad. This is the first time we've been able to judge it as this is the first run of the NAM to show any precip.

My interest for this storm has certainly went up this morning!

I have to say i don't recall the last time there was a sub 1000mb low in the northern gulf dropping to a 997mb low tracking across north florida, and the low down to 996mb virtually on top of savannah, to 992mb southeast of wilmington  but with so little precip inland..such as the rgem is showing. Or just the lack of it in general by the other models.    Does anyone recall the last time that might have happened because i'm having a hard time recalling a low that deep with that track yet virtually no precip of note inland?

Which is why i have to say i'm surprised there isn't more precip being shown inland...not saying it's not true but damn.  Such as the ridiculousness  of this winter.

I still wouldn't be surprised though if there is a narrow band of enhanced totals that might provide some a surprise. As i'm typing this the 12z nam is showing exactly that. In fact radar would be encouraging.

Thats the thing all winter storms have looked meh on the models which are saying .25" and we get .75-1" so it will suck if that doesnt work out here....I cant really remember a low that strong that close that gives less than a .25".....under normal circumstances I would be freaking out at a low track like this with that strength to boot.....especially if the cold air supply was/is better....

This is going to overproduce.

I agree that this thing will likely overproduce precip. This has been consistent this season, and it appears the stage is being set for that. I do not think temps ever make it for me. I hope those of you to the  north of me can score on this.

the models just don't have a clue.

It's like throwing darts at a dartboard.

You know, this is reminding me about March 93.

What does the euro say?

Nam is phasing 150 miles east of Hawaii!

Bath water in the Gulf and off the SE. There will be more precip than drizzle. I'm pretty confident of that.

One caveat is moisture-robbing Gulf convection, but that's nebulous right now.

That's not really an issue with this system. Winds aloft are horrible for moisture transport at H7. If they had more time to turn SW it would be a different story. There is so much upward motion around the low . Horrible for moisture transport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NAM is also way colder than the GFS. 

Now that the nam has an actual band of respectable precip, there is a fair bit of dynamical cooling taking place underneath that band. Temps over south carolina, under that band, go from low 40s at 09z to 33 and snow by 15z. You can see just how much difference it makes at 925mb and 850mb as temps are much colder this run.

Thats the thing all winter storms have looked meh on the models which are saying .25" and we get .75-1" so it will suck if that doesnt work out here....I cant really remember a low that strong that close that gives less than a .25".....under normal circumstances I would be freaking out at a low track like this with that strength to boot.....especially if the cold air supply was/is better....

Exactly..most of us would be freaking out with a low that strong and track like that. The 06z gfs started to see the banding inland with heavier totals, the 12z nam is following suite so we'll see..hopefully the models have been under estimating it.

That's not really an issue with this system. Winds aloft are horrible for moisture transport at H7. If they had more time to turn SW it would be a different story. There is so much upward motion around the low . Horrible for moisture transport

So it's too strong and keeping all the moisture around the center?

Good deal!

experimental HRRR is showing some fairly impressive banding over ga/sc. Probably better news for the carolinas than here.  It's a shame this is such a quick mover and initial conditions are so warm that what precip that does fall is mostly used up as rain and cooling the column.

cref_sfc_f23.pngcref_sfc_f24.png

Archived