NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC
255 PM EDT WED JUL 27 2016

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...
CENTRAL HARNETT COUNTY
SOUTHEASTERN CHATHAM COUNTY
LEE COUNTY

* UNTIL 345 PM EDT

* AT 255 PM EDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED NEAR SANFORD...
MOVING EAST AT 20 MPH.

HAZARD...60 MPH WIND GUSTS.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED.

IMPACT...EXPECT DAMAGE TO ROOFS...SIDING...AND TREES.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
SANFORD...LILLINGTON...BROADWAY... GUM SPRINGS... SEMINOLE...LEMON SPRINGS...DUNCAN...CUMNOCK... TRAMWAY AND OLIVIA.

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is in response to Brick and the accompanying mesoscale discussion but i was having trouble formatting the quote!

mcd1406.gif

I went to the HRRR to see when and where any more storms are expected to develop here today but it has seemed to not output any runs successfully today since 7z, i know that happens sometimes. 

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
634 PM EDT WED JUL 27 2016

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...
  SOUTHERN PERSON COUNTY 
  NORTHERN ORANGE COUNTY 
  NORTHWESTERN DURHAM COUNTY 
* UNTIL 715 PM EDT

* AT 632 PM EDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED ABOUT 10   MILES SOUTHWEST OF ROXBORO...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 15 MPH.

HAZARD...60 MPH WIND GUSTS. 

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED. 

IMPACT...EXPECT DAMAGE TO ROOFS...SIDING...AND TREES. 

ROUGEMONT...CARR...LAKE MICHIE...MORIAH...SCHLEY AND BAHAMA.

A little late - board was acting up...

648 PM EDT SAT JUL 30 2016

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
  NORTHWESTERN WARREN COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 715 PM EDT

* AT 648 PM EDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A
  TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR NORLINA...OR 8 MILES NORTHWEST OF
  WARRENTON...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 10 MPH.

HAZARD...TORNADO AND QUARTER SIZE HAIL.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION.

IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT
           SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.
           DAMAGE TO ROOFS...WINDOWS...AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR. TREE
           DAMAGE IS LIKELY.

WARRENTON...NORLINA...MACON...DREWRY...WISE...
  AFTON AND LAKE GASTON.

36 minutes ago, NWNC2015 said:

There needs to be a watch issued for a good chunk of NC north of i40. Storm movement this morning is around 0-2knots and many areas were already waterlogged.

Virginia blue ridge is getting smoked. 

Most of NC is fine. The rain on the GSP radar is falling apart and nothing else will form today. It's too stable out there. Outside of 2 counties on the Virginia line, the flood threat in NC is zero. It's not going to happen.

10 hours ago, jshetley said:

Most of NC is fine. The rain on the GSP radar is falling apart and nothing else will form today. It's too stable out there. Outside of 2 counties on the Virginia line, the flood threat in NC is zero. It's not going to happen.

Over 20 rescues in Statesville, NC. About half of them children. 

Surry County is getting smoked tonight I am forecasting 8-16" for the wedge event there. Already over 7.5" and its pouring. 

Hi res models have me worried I could see 3-6" of additional through tomorrow but at least I'm not in a hard hit area. And by the way for the non-wedge people, when GSP radar shows it falling apart or nothing its still actually raining, breezy, foggy, and down right nippy.

35 minutes ago, NWNC2015 said:

Over 20 rescues in Statesville, NC. About half of them children. 

Surry County is getting smoked tonight I am forecasting 8-16" for the wedge event there. Already over 7.5" and its pouring. 

Hi res models have me worried I could see 3-6" of additional through tomorrow but at least I'm not in a hard hit area. And by the way for the non-wedge people, when GSP radar shows it falling apart or nothing its still actually raining, breezy, foggy, and down right nippy.

Surry is one of the 2 counties in NC I thought would get hit hard, but no way they get anywhere near 16 inches of rain. Otherwise except for a small area around Statesville no flooding is occurring. Down here in SC nothing on the radar means just that. Nothing is falling and can't fall out of a cloudless sky and it isn't anywhere near nippy down here. 

5 minutes ago, jshetley said:

Surry is one of the 2 counties in NC I thought would get hit hard, but no way they get anywhere near 16 inches of rain. Otherwise except for a small area around Statesville no flooding is occurring. Down here in SC nothing on the radar means just that. Nothing is falling and can't fall out of a cloudless sky and it isn't anywhere near nippy down here. 

0z HRRR says you need to evacuate eastern Surry County area. Additional 6-8" along the Surry border. That would bring totals to 15-17".

The new warning says additional 3" bringing the total to 12.1" if you believe the experts. Radar estimates now at 9.1".

FLASH FLOOD STATEMENT   NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BLACKSBURG VA   934 PM EDT WED AUG 3 2016     NCC171-040345-   /O.CON.KRNK.FF.W.0032.000000T0000Z-160804T0345Z/   /00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/   SURRY NC-  

934 PM EDT WED AUG 3 2016     ...THE FLASH FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1145 PM EDT FOR   EASTERN SURRY COUNTY...     AT 923 PM EDT...LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED FLOODING DUE TO HEAVY   RAIN IN ARARAT. FOUR TO SEVEN INCHES OF RAIN HAVE FALLEN SINCE 2PM.  

FLASH FLOODING IS ONGOING.     ADDITIONAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS UP TO THREE INCHES ARE POSSIBLE IN   THE WARNED AREA.     SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE...   ARARAT...   MOUNT AIRY...   FLAT ROCK...   PILOT MOUNTAIN...   TOAST...   AND PINE RIDGE.  

COUNTY OFFICIALS REPORTED FLOODING ALONG STEWART CREEK...LOVILLS   CREEK AND THE ARARAT RIVER. AVOID RADAR ROAD IN ARARAT. IT IS   FLOODED AND DAMAGED.     THE RIVER STAGE AT ARARAT WAS ABOVE FLOOD STAGE AND THE RIVER WAS   STEADILY RISING. FLOODING IS ALSO EXPECTED ON STREAMS FLOWING INTO   THE ARARAT RIVER...INCLUDING TOMS CREEK AND HEATHERLY CREEK BETWEEN   ARARAT AND PILOT MOUNTAIN.  

RELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT   NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BLACKSBURG VA   1024 PM EDT WED AUG 03 2016       .TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON       .DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.     ..REMARKS..  

1020 PM FLASH FLOOD 3 SW PILOT MOUNTAIN 36.35N 80.51W   08/03/2016 SURRY NC PUBLIC  

PERSISTENT HEAVY RAINFALL RESULTED IN PILOT CREEK   OVERFLOWING ITS BANKS ACROSS JIM MCKINNEY ROAD. OBSERVER   MEASURED 8 INCHES OF PRECIPITATION IN A 24 HOUR PERIOD   BEFORE HIS GAUGE OVERFLOWED. ESTIMATES 10+ INCHES AND   CONTINUING.  

I though was was seeing things until I read this

THERE APPEARS TO BE SMALL CYCLONIC CIRCULATION OVER SE SURRY COUNTY   AND IT IS NEARLY STATIONARY. NEW CELLS CONTINUE TO DEVELOP AND FEED INTO   SURRY/STOKES AND THE HEAVY RAIN OVER RANDOLPH/SW GUILFORD APPEARS   THAT IT WILL BE ENTRAINED INTO THE CIRCULATION. IT APPEARS THIS CIRCULATION   MAY DRIFT SW OVERNIGHT (VERY SLOWLY).

Going to need some type of advisory/warning from High Point to Winston Salem eventually. 

NWS Raleigh

Water from this major flood event along the Ararat River will 
follow the streams into the Yadkin River and may flood areas downstream 
the Yadkin to Yadkin River as soon as Thursday. Current projections 
indicate Yadkin College will crest at 12 feet or 6 feet below Flood
Stage. However, any additional rain, especially in Surry/Wilkes 
and Yadkin will be problematic for the Yadkin River.

Blacksburg says the wedge will not erode until Friday so likely no warm thunderstorms until then. Pilot Mountain looks to easily see another 1-3" today based on some of the short range models like the HRRR which has done well in this setup. This will bring totals closer to 11-13" but I think up to 16" will still be possible if training occurs by the end of the wedge event.

hrrr_apcpn_seus_10.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived