505 PM CST TUE FEB 2 2016

.UPDATE...
MESOSCALE UPDATE.

&&

.DISCUSSION...

...5PM MESOSCALE UPDATE...

A DANGEROUS WEATHER SITUATION HAS TAKEN SHAPE ACROSS NORTHWESTERN
ALABAMA THIS AFTERNOON...AND WE ARE TRACKING A LINE OF SUPERCELL
STORMS POSING A SIGNIFICANT TORNADO RISK.

OBSERVATIONS AND POINT SOUNDINGS SHOW BREEZY SOUTHEASTERLY/BACKED
SURFACE WINDS VEERING WITH HEIGHT...CONTRIBUTING TO STRONG WIND
SHEAR ACROSS THE AREA...ESPEICALLY AT LOW LEVELS. HODOGRAPHS ARE
LARGE AND CURVED...CONTRIBUTING TO SEVERAL ROTATING
UPDRAFTS/SUPERCELLS IN MISSISSIPPI...OF WHICH ARE NOW MOVING INTO
WESTERN ALABAMA.

IN THE SHORT-TERM...A LINE OF DISCRETE SUPERCELLS WILL AFFECT OUR
NORTHWESTERN COUNTIES. THIS IS ALREADY EVIDENT WITH A STORM
MOVING NORTHEAST THROUGH PICKENS COUNTY...PRODUCING A LARGE AND
EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TORNADO. ADDITIONAL STORMS ARE LINING UP IN
EAST MISSISSIPPI...ON A TRACK TO AFFECT WESTERN ALABAMA...AND THE
ENVIRONMENT WILL REMAIN SUPPORTIVE OF SIGNIFICANT SEVERE WEATHER.

PERSONS LIVING IN AND TRAVELING IN PICKENS...LAMAR...MARION...
WINSTON...FAYETTE...WALKER...AND TUSCALOOSA COUNTIES NEED TO BE
ESPECIALLY WEATHER AWARE OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL HOURS.

89/SATTERWHITE

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very large tornado on TWC near Carrolton just now.

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BIRMINGHAM AL  514 PM CST TUE FEB 2 2016    ALC107-022330-  /O.CON.KBMX.TO.W.0001.000000T0000Z-160202T2330Z/  PICKENS AL-  514 PM CST TUE FEB 2 2016    ...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 530 PM CST FOR CENTRAL  PICKENS COUNTY...        AT 514 PM CST...A CONFIRMED LARGE AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TORNADO WAS  LOCATED OVER REFORM...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 45 MPH.    THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION.    HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO.     SOURCE...WEATHER SPOTTERS CONFIRMED TORNADO.     IMPACT...YOU ARE IN A LIFE THREATENING SITUATION. FLYING DEBRIS MAY            BE DEADLY TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES            WILL BE DESTROYED. CONSIDERABLE DAMAGE TO            HOMES...BUSINESSES AND VEHICLES IS LIKELY AND COMPLETE            DESTRUCTION IS POSSIBLE.     THIS TORNADIC THUNDERSTORM WILL REMAIN OVER MAINLY RURAL AREAS OF  CENTRAL PICKENS COUNTY...INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS...OWENS.    PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...    A LARGE AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TORNADO IS ON THE GROUND. TAKE  IMMEDIATE TORNADO PRECAUTIONS. THIS IS AN EMERGENCY SITUATION.

The storm that just missed Florence became tornado-warned when it crossed the Tennessee stateline according to Intellicast radar.

Following  the same path as the December tornado that cause heavy damage in Wayne and Lawrence Counties in Tennessee.

I agree   :(    

I think what happened almost five years ago (hard to believe) has caused a hangover effect. Also this is mostly a North Carolina crowd here. If it ain't there they don't talk about it. I looked in a few time during the day when I could catch a break at work but it didn't surprise me.

I think what happened almost five years ago (hard to believe) has caused a hangover effect. Also this is mostly a North Carolina crowd here. If it ain't there they don't talk about it. I looked in a few time during the day when I could catch a break at work but it didn't surprise me.

I know we don't have many people that post from al/ms, but there are those of us from all over that love weather outside of our backyard as proven by our midwest peeps here today. :)  The board as a whole does a great job in every region, filling up the gaps the best we can. I do wish the people from those areas would post more though  :(      

What an incredible tornado.

Yeah pucker factor kicked up a notch from around 20 sec mark to the 35 sec mark on the video.....

I had to work tonight so I missed this ( was sleeping all day )  but other than this tornado has there been others, there are 9 reports on SPC but they all appear to be this cell/tornado...

About 10-15 minutes after the above scans, that cell produced a tornado in Beaverton, a bit NE of Vernon:

0215         1 S BEAVERTON     LAMAR     AL    3392     8802     TORNADO CONFIRMED BY EMA ... SEVERAL TREES ARE DOWN AND BLOCKING THE TAYLOR SPRINGS ... TURKEY BRANCH AND PINEY GROVE ROADS. (BMX)

314 PM EST Wed Feb 3 2016

The National Weather Service in Raleigh has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...

Franklin County in central North Carolina...

southern Vance County in central North Carolina...

southern Granville County in central North Carolina...

northeastern Wake County in central North Carolina...

* until 400 PM EST

* at 314 PM EST...Doppler radar indicated a severe thunderstorm

capable of producing damaging winds in excess of 58 mph. This storm

was located over Creedmoor...and moving east at 35 mph.

* Locations impacted include...

Raleigh...Henderson...Creedmoor...Louisburg...Wake Forest...

Butner...Zebulon...Franklinton...Kittrell and Bunn.

Just picked up kids from school in West Columbia.  Rotation cloud formed as I sat in car pool line.   Did not form funnel but was trying.  Kids went into full tornado protection inside school.   Schools on a delayed release in midlands of SC.  Now a flash flood warning is out for some of the same areas that got hit in October.  It is a mess out there.  

Cell most likely producing a tornado SW of Savannah on track to possibly affect the western side of the Savannah area in the next hr....had a bright couplet and maybe a TDS for a scan.....

This is just to the west of us...BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDTORNADO WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC510 PM EST WED FEB 3 2016THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHARLESTON HAS ISSUED A* TORNADO WARNING FOR...  BRYAN COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...  CHATHAM COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...  EFFINGHAM COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...  LIBERTY COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...* UNTIL 600 PM EST* AT 509 PM EST...A TORNADO WAS REPORTED NEAR FORT STEWART...MOVING  NORTHEAST AT 35 MPH.  HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO.  SOURCE...PUBLIC CONFIRMED TORNADO.  IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT           SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.           DAMAGE TO ROOFS...WINDOWS...AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR.  TREE           DAMAGE IS LIKELY.* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...  POOLER...BLOOMINGDALE...EDEN...ELLABELL...MELDRIM AND BLITCHTON.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...TO REPEAT...A TORNADO MAY BE ON THE GROUND. TAKE COVER NOW! MOVE TOA BASEMENT OR AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A STURDYBUILDING. AVOID WINDOWS. IF YOU ARE OUTDOORS...IN A MOBILE HOME...ORIN A VEHICLE...MOVE TO THE CLOSEST SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER AND PROTECTYOURSELF FROM FLYING DEBRIS.REPORT DAMAGE DIRECTLY TO THE CHARLESTON NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AT1-888-383-2024 WHEN IT IS SAFE TO DO SO.&&LAT...LON 3188 8156 3194 8163 3222 8143 3208 8125TIME...MOT...LOC 2209Z 222DEG 31KT 3196 8156TORNADO...OBSERVEDHAIL...<.75IN

I know we don't have many people that post from al/ms, but there are those of us from all over that love weather outside of our backyard as proven by our midwest peeps here today. :)  The board as a whole does a great job in every region, filling up the gaps the best we can. I do wish the people from those areas would post more though   :(      

People all over Mississippi were diving for cover most of the day.  :o  I try to ease away from work when I can. Even though football season is over, in Alabama recruiting season is just as big. I'm sure all the message boards are still being flooded. :D  I think more may post from now through April.

Archived