• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

Euro para is probably a good one to keep an eye on. Verification scores are up across the board at all levels for North America except at the top heights (100mb where it is not doing well at all).

Edited to add:  https://software.ecmwf.int/wiki/display/FCST/IFS+cycle+41r2+scorecard+-+extended+version+part+2

Awesome to hear!...if you're not an ncep developer  :whistle: 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

surprised nobody is talking the GEFS for the 17-18th  :whistle:

the mean slp and qpf looks amazing, but if you look at the snowfall maps and again the mean snow is only around 3" it indicates that mean must include a lot of warm inland tracks and some OTS ones to give a mean that looks great.  I am not saying its a bad run, the mean stayed decent but given it shows us with close to an inch QPF with below 0 850s and a perfect low track you would expect a much higher mean snowfall. 

the mean slp and qpf looks amazing, but if you look at the snowfall maps and again the mean snow is only around 3" it indicates that mean must include a lot of warm inland tracks and some OTS ones to give a mean that looks great.  I am not saying its a bad run, the mean stayed decent but given it shows us with close to an inch QPF with below 0 850s and a perfect low track you would expect a much higher mean snowfall. 

Great mean track but what may be messing up the mean snowfall is the fact that the mean 2m temps are a bit warmer than average.  Looking at the individual placement of the Lows, there's a few that take an inland coastal plain track, which is probably skewing the mean temps and thus the mean snowfall.  Potential remains.

the mean slp and qpf looks amazing, but if you look at the snowfall maps and again the mean snow is only around 3" it indicates that mean must include a lot of warm inland tracks and some OTS ones to give a mean that looks great. I am not saying its a bad run, the mean stayed decent but given it shows us with close to an inch QPF with below 0 850s and a perfect low track you would expect a much higher mean snowfall.

You could pretty much say the same thing about the eps. It's been 3 days with no increase in clarity. Good indication as to how complicated it is to figure out multiple tightly spaced waves at range.

Good advice for everyone is just focus on the first wave after the clipper next week and nothing beyond it. Once that is locked in one way or the other we can look down the line to the next one.

We get clobbered with closed H5 lows on several members so 3" average is surprising.

I think we all did behind the rose glasses. I had zero confidence in last night's run. When an op goes against all other ops, ens, and even it's own ens it's kinda easy to not invest much thought.

I had no confidence in it not because of all of those very good reasons you listed.....but because it was a positive run.  I've been jaded :(

Ne boys seem happy. How much we talking about for us?

Max snowfall stripe from coastal CNJ through LI and SNE.  2" DC; max of 5" for northern MD.

Get the secondary to die quicker or a better H location and it'd result in a better scenario for us.  Obviously parsing temp details this far out is futile but just commenting on what we'd need (to my weenie eye).

Wouldnt be the first time we did OK with a front end thump to dry slot.

It's the kind of setup that could do it. I'm not picky and I really don't care who jacks as long as we get something. 2-4 would be just fine. Sure doesn't look like it's our only shot either. Looking forward to breaking the ice.

Archived