• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2016 Atlantic Hurricane season

Jason WX

The dominant ridging in the Atlantic this year makes me concerned about Cape Verde systems becoming more west-runners than models would seem to indicate. TD-6 (Fiona) will likely eventually never threaten land except perhaps Bermuda, however, I have a feeling the increasing African monsoon will soon create an amount of storms and hurricanes in the next 6 weeks or so, and some way well run west.

Of course the dreaded track is the Andrew/Frances/Ike track. Tugging northwest towards a weakness, and then shunted back due west strengthening towards land.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

12z CMC and 12z GFS both show either a hit or a miss for SNE in terms of a tropical cyclone making landfall in SNE.

Lol Uscape.  I like your post.  Models show a hit or a miss for SNE.  I guess that covers all bases.  Seriously we might have something to finally watch with a system at low latitudes moving west.

The GFS and HWRF have now dropped 99L.  The euro never jumped aboard that ship.  *sigh*.  There really isn't much to it on satellite, so I'm not surprised.  It's just some weak, dry spin that would require a lot of work over several days just to reach TD status.  It sure has been tough to be a hurricane geek following the Atlantic basin in recent years.

Sometimes there is too much emphasis put on water temps. If the thing never closes off a circulation or develops convection the water temps don't matter. And even if it does develop - very warm water temps do not guarantee it'll go bonkers or anything.

I'm hesitant to say 99L will develop beyond TD or TS. Models certainly have backed off. They seemed to like the next wave better but then many are fishing that one. 

43 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

12z GGEM has a hurricane hitting the southeast coast and then it rides the coast ( ala Irene )

Looks like the GFS also brings it back

Yeah, the morning GFS has a weak low adrift in the Bahamas.  If a low can get into that area and find a favorable atmosphere, a lot can happen.  Katrina formed from a weak junk disturbance that barely made it through the mid-Atlantic TUTT and ended up adrift in the western Bahamas and we know what happened there.

GFS is struggling to hold onto 99L as any significant entity once reaching the Bahamas.  However, the 12z euro is one of those "uh oh" runs.  It begins to strengthen 99L over the Bahamas and then, due to the model popping a ridge over the east coast, takes it wnw across south Florida as a low end cane, with further strengthening in the eastern gulf.  99L's level of organization when it reaches the Bahamas is going to be a big deal.

44 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

The Max intensity potential index that shows at what intensity a particular location in the Atlantic OCean can sustain if perfect conditions existed, show that wherever 99L goes just east of the NW Bahamas, that area can sustain or allow to develop a <880mb,  190+mph category five hurricane.

There has never been an under 900 mb hurricane recorded measurement east of Florida.

Archived