SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 9-10th snow threat. Disco/OBS

dmc76

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. I honestly think we can pull off 5-6" from this storm as long as an eastern shift doesn't occur. Each snow event this year (two of them) has over-preformed IMO, hopefully the trend will continue? :)

I think you might get those numbers. I'm going to stick with 4"-4.5" for now.

We're going to see a slightly backing up of the main band, I think.

acc10_1snowmw.png

I am really liking that GGEM run. Almost 8 inches for me.

One of the hardest things about being a weather weenie is watching the local forecasters/meteorologist. Our local Fox guy just showed one of "their models" and said that is the predicted forecast amount. Guess which one it was....the GFS! haha

I am really liking that GGEM run. Almost 8 inches for me.

One of the hardest things about being a weather weenie is watching the local forecasters/meteorologist. Our local Fox guy just showed one of "their models" and said that is the predicted forecast amount. Guess which one it was....the GFS! haha

You were giving up two days ago cause this was going to be another "Chicago to Detroit" storm lol.

I'm ready to ride the northern fringe and hopefully get some better quality snow out of it.

Calling it here at 2-4, lower side towards the lake.

If you and Alek can avoid a strong onshore flow I think you two are golden.

I dont even know if GEOS can wish this one in, and that is coming from a former wisher himself...

I just think the storm is going to come in a bit stronger. That November storm came slightly more north at the last minute.

Now I kind of like to see what the HRRR will show late today. Because that did pretty good on the last (sleet) system.

Strongly suspect there will be a narrow band of intense 700-500mb frontogenesis/deformation that overperforms somewhere in the Chicago metro akin to the last 2 runs of the RGEM. Global guidance never really catches on to this but the pattern strongly suggests it to me. It's the kind of thing that could produce 1-2"/hr for a few hours given that area is squarely in the DGZ. Only thing to watch out for is convection robbing the cold sector of decent moisture.

Strongly suspect there will be a narrow band of intense 700-500mb frontogenesis/deformation that overperforms somewhere in the Chicago metro akin to the last 2 runs of the RGEM. Global guidance never really catches on to this but the pattern strongly suggests it to me. It's the kind of thing that could produce 1-2"/hr for a few hours given that area is squarely in the DGZ. Only thing to watch out for is convection robbing the cold sector of decent moisture.

Post of the year.

looks like another large shift east...along with the rest of the 12z guidance.

Ha "large" shift east. The narrow band has had its eye set on roughly the same area for the past couple days. Sure, it's wavered a little bit, but I think the entire metro is game for some accumulating snow. Im hoping for 3" up here and wouldn't be surprised to see a bit more than that. I-55 corridor looks pretty golden.

Ha "large" shift east. The narrow band has had its eye set on roughly the same area for the past couple days. Sure, it's wavered a little bit, but I think the entire metro is game for some accumulating snow. Im hoping for 3" up here and wouldn't be surprised to see a bit more than that. I-55 corridor looks pretty golden.

I just did some quick ball park measuring of how far things have shifted since the last run and the models we talk about on here have moved 25-50 miles respectively. NAM, GFS moved the least, GGEM moved the most. Could easily swing back some.

Yes...wherever that band sets up has a shot at double digits imo.

I like 5-7" as a first call here...probably starting as a period of rain.  Some guidance hinting at a heavier band setting up so it's certainly possible that could need an upward bump later. 

You and Mimillman looks to be in a sweet spot.

Need to watch that baroclinic zone tomorrow morning.

Bernie Rayno is thinking there will be more interaction with the ULL moving in from the NW - snow should back build somewhat. http://videowall.accuweather.com/detail/videos/accuweather-experts/video/4100815092001/snow-rapid-freeze-to-cause-delays-from-st-louis-to-chicago?autoStart=true

Archived