joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 9-10th snow threat. Disco/OBS

dmc76

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GEM remains very far to the east, but looks like some lake enhancement for NE Illinois and the Indiana coast. Surface temps are in the mid 30's for most of the event, and precipitation looks weak. My initial inkling is that most precip that falls along the Lake would be rain, or snow that doesn't stick with the wet ground. That is GGEM verbatim.

GEM remains very far to the east, but looks like some lake enhancement for NE Illinois and the Indiana coast. Surface temps are in the mid 30's for most of the event, and precipitation looks weak. My initial inkling is that most precip that falls along the Lake would be rain, or snow that doesn't stick with the wet ground. That is GGEM verbatim.

It's been stingy on cold sector qpf for some reason...not sure why...could have something to do with how the northern stream wave interacts on there.

Thanks for the encouragement. :) Things are looking better for you!

Always appreciate your positive attitude, Geos. Time will tell. So far it's looking like most of the models this run have headed east. We'll see what the Euro shows soon.

One other thought - it seems like the northern energy steals the show in the end. I don't know if that rule goes out the window during a strong el Niño.

Take what I can get from this, even it is a little lake enhancement.

12 inches. I should have about 45 inches for the season so far. My weenieism got all excited that my area could be the bulls eye for this system. I should have known better. The trend is Detroit's friend!

You are way ahead of me.  I don't even have 5" so far this year.  You normally do better than me, especially with SW flow, but so far this year everything has been a miss to the north or south.

You are way ahead of me.  I don't even have 5" so far this year.  You normally do better than me, especially with SW flow, but so far this year everything has been a miss to the north or south.

I was being generous too. It's probably between 9 and 12 inches. It was hard to tell with this last system since we had a lot of ice mixed with snow. It equaled up to a 4 inch glacier. Before that we had two 3 inch snowfalls that melted 2 days later.

Maybe for the city but temps quickly crash across the suburbs to 27/28 by 6z after 33 at 0z here. 

MDW and lakefront still 33 at 6z with upper teens out by FEP

Whatever falls here should be a nice plastering as the onshore flow holds up the temperature drop.  Won't really have an opportunity to get into more fluffy/better ratio stuff until the storm is winding down. 

Based on trends today, biggest concern is how much cold sector qpf gets into Chicago and western/northern burbs. As opposed to p-type concerns from 00z runs. Would take the Euro and run and hope it trends back stronger/more robust with defo axis due to better interaction with northern stream. I think a fairly safe call for Chicagoland is 2-4", maybe more like 1-2" right on the lake in Chicago due to onshore winds. Potential is there for more still even with today's trends if better phasing/interaction can occur between northern and southern stream waves.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Based on trends today, biggest concern is how much cold sector qpf gets into Chicago and western/northern burbs. As opposed to p-type concerns from 00z runs. Would take the Euro and run and hope it trends back stronger/more robust with defo axis due to better interaction with northern stream. I think a fairly safe call for Chicagoland is 2-4", maybe more like 1-2" right on the lake in Chicago due to onshore winds. Potential is there for more still even with today's trends if better phasing/interaction can occur between northern and southern stream waves.

agree on all counts

Any thoughts on wind potential?  NAM wind fields look more impressive than the GFS, which seems like a bit of a role reversal as the GFS has had stronger wind fields in multiple storms this fall/winter.  NAM is stronger with the surface low so it makes sense that the winds would be stronger.  imo, looks like a window of 40+ mph gust potential near the lake especially if the stronger solutions verify.   

Archived