joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A setup like that at h5 where the low goes from ILM to Hatteras and explodes is a recipe for feet and imho further south than DC, where it maxes. It will enhance the cold on the west side of the storm. Warm gulf waters off NC coast and a system undergoing bombogenesis will be amazing. I'm getting excited now. Hopefully it holds and more of NC folks can get in the game.

Interesting post by meteorologist WxUSAF over in the Mid-Atlantic subforum with regards to trends:

If I had to put money down, I'd say suppression was still the biggest threat to warning-level snow (more so than a cutter and mixing). As Ian reminds us, suppression is a superNino habit. If that weak s/w midweek blows up more of it the northern stream s/w (that phases on the 18z GFS) gets bigger, maybe one of those squashes the southern s/w. That's what happened today, so maybe it's just a recency bias talking.

James, with an h5 like that it is going to go boom. Do I dare say rates around my area and for the mountains of NC along with qpf are underdone?

We'll see. I wonder if the warm Gulf and Atlantic might help, too, though I suppose the modeling already faked into account SSTs.

One thing is that it seems like some of the modeling is crashing the surface low into some CAD, which seems unlikely to happen, IMO (but something I don't think models handle well in the LR). I would expect to see the surface low get shoved around the CAD (hopefully to the south).

Looks like this is going to be a big storm for someone. Hopefully, it's a big storm for some of us.

Just a heads up...

I strongly suggest that fellow snow weenies should consider chasing this event.  Preparation might need to start tomorrow by asking your boss for friday off.  

If you can take off friday, Southern Virginia is only a 3 to 6 hour drive for most of us on this board.  You could leave Thursday night and experience the whole event, the roads should be decent by Sunday for the commute back.

I've sat on the sidelines far too many years and regretted it. I am putting the wheels in motion tomorrow and will not miss this event if it's going to be epic and within driving distance. (Heck, I might even fly into D.C. on thursday if I have to!)

Worst case, if the storms looks like a bust towards the end of the week.. you'll have a long weekend to go do something else.

Just a heads up...

I strongly suggest that fellow snow weenies should consider chasing this event. Preparation might need to start tomorrow by asking your boss for friday off.

If you can take off friday, Southern Virginia is only a 3 to 6 hour drive for most of us on this board. You could leave Thursday night and experience the whole event, the roads should be decent by Sunday for the commute back.

I've sat on the sidelines far too many years and regretted it. I am putting the wheels in motion tomorrow and will not miss this event if it's going to be epic and within driving distance. (Heck, I might even fly into D.C. on thursday if I have to!)

Worst case, if the storms looks like a bust towards the end of the week.. you'll have a long weekend to go do something else.

I made a mistake by trying to chase todays non event but I'm hoping to make up for it this week. I get off work at 8pm thurs and don't go back until sun afternoon so this would be good timing for me. Unfortunately southern Virginia is a much longer drive for me. I'm hoping for something a little closer.

12z Big 3 ens means, H5 anomaly at 144hrs.  

attachicon.gifgfsens.png

attachicon.gifggemens.png

attachicon.gifecmwfens.png

ECWMF ens mean about 150m deeper than the other two.   :pimp:  Not really sure I buy the Miller B just yet as the primary storm track is not coming through the central plains/OH Valley.  This looks more like a LP coming out of the western Gulf.  Granted, it certainly could make a run at the TN Valley with the transfer taking place over the Carolina's/VA.  That would fit a B type deal kind of, but it could also be just a strong primary taking a more inland track through the SE (UKMET) and offshore around the VA Capes.  Plenty of time here, should be fun...

If it takes this track and takes its time , back west of I-85 will get buried with heavy wet snow. The type of snow that takes lots of trees and power lines down with it. We will see lot of changes in the computer models. But what i do take out of this is a big dog looks possible, and  it might be a big dog on the severe side more than wintry side when all is said and done. 

Is there any chance that CAD with this storm could be stronger than progged and even the N ATL 'Burbs could get in on something wintry or are we guaranteed a cold rain here? Sorry if this is considered an IMBY question but just wondering.

Nothing is guaranteed this far out but it would take some big shifts (south) to get ATL in the game.

Nothing is guaranteed this far out but it would take some big shifts (south) to get ATL in the game.

Yeah, probably just grasping on straws this far south, although when people say ATL I always visualize the airport which is the snow/ice-less airport of the south it seems. Maybe February will treat the deep south better.

Archived