SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm ignorant then. The models for the 8-9 day period haven't nailed down the low at all. To save this period is already figured it is premature, to say the least. If you assume the eps is correct and take the look verbatim you'll be in trouble.

I am talking about the day 7 threat, that is dead and that looked as good as any threat we have tracked when it was at day 10-12. Luckily it died quick, I suspect the same will occur for anything after this period.

I think we know how the day 9-12 period is going to evolve, seems obvious...time well tell.

Just look at what is happening today and what the models are now predicting for day 7...deja vu, LOL.

We have been in a very predictable and repeating pattern for some time, a strong -AO/-NAO hasn't changed anything, which we have been in for over week now.  Yes we are having transient cold shots, it is still January, but still they are transient and it's not locking in.   I can't stop it, I wish I could...only thing that can is spring.

Pretty convoluted at H5 for the 16-17th, that is the sw the 0Z EC matured.  12z GFS does not develop a dominant surface reflection despite some evidence of a neg tilt as it swings through the SE over the next 18-24hrs.  Jet setup looks favorable for something to be cooking off the SE coast both the 17th and then the 19th-20th on this run. 

post-382-0-72935400-1452444802_thumb.png

I understand what you mean Pack and it has merit but you have to admit also, its anecdotal....and yes right now we do have Lucy with the football out there on the 19th/20th.  We'll see if you can score two nellies in a row here.

Time will tell, I am probably wrong, but is just what I see happening.  Hard to argue at this point though.  We are going to have storm after storm track north of us which should create a 50/50 and drop the cold down but another low rotates through south/central Canada and the cycle starts over again.  We just need this to break down and start over again, why I am hoping for Feb turnaround.  I always said last week of Jan into Feb will give us a 1-2 week window, still looks reasonable, I don't expect a end to end ratter...at this point.

Pretty convoluted at H5 for the 16-17th, that is the sw the 0Z EC matured.  12z GFS does not develop a dominant surface reflection despite some evidence of a neg tilt as it swings through the SE over the next 18-24hrs.  Jet setup looks favorable for something to be cooking off the SE coast both the 17th and then the 19th-20th on this run. 

attachicon.gif12zgfs011016156.png

Models are moving around a lot beyond 5 days with so many s/w's rolling through the STJ.  So first it was Jan 9, then 12th, then 17th, now 19th with a big storm.  I'm not putting much stock in anything beyond 5 days out right.  I do, think the 17th-19th period is the time to watch - once the western ridge decides to pop, the last s/w out is going to dig south and amplify, as the 12z GFS shows.

I just made a post about this in the MA forum. You guys should really like the direction the latest ens runs are heading. The goa vortex retros far enough west for the pna and epo ridges to get pumped up. Long wave pattern digs a trough in the SE with much below normal 850s on the means. It'd quite a signal temp wise for such a long lead. Pattern is amplified over the conus with the door open for vorts to dig down just east of the Rockies and phase and/tap the southern stream.

One of the issues were seeing medium term is airmasses getting moderated by pac air running up and over the pna ridge in the west. If the ens are right then that will get cutoff with the potential for cold air to dig south and east.

The short story is temps could be less of an issue and the look remains active storm wise. Nobody should be mad at last night's eps run. Looks good at range for the SE and MA

I agree Bob....like Matt East said, we first have to see the blocking pattern on the models come into reality and get that cold high to drop down...only then will we see an increase in wintry chances.  I don't know if Pack's going to make it thru the rest of winter....tho I say that every year

I agree Bob....like Matt East said, we first have to see the blocking pattern on the models come into reality and get that cold high to drop down...only then will we see an increase in wintry chances.  I don't know if Pack's going to make it thru the rest of winter....tho I say that every year

LOL...probably not. We have been chasing unicorns, we won't be in Feb, IMO.

I love the fact that we have all this technology, but on the other hand I loved the days when it would just start snowing and we knew nothing of it coming. It seemed magical...atleast if we don't get any storms in the next 10 days I will be in the Bahamas the end of next week.

Archived