SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those wondering here is the Euro total through 240. This includes the first storm (14-15th) and then the second one for 17-18th.

iynCsXZR3nUrq.gif

All jokes aside, the most important thing in this situation, like others have been saying, is to realize that this pattern does have potential. We all know this is probably a weenie run and not to get hung up on specifics because they will change. In the meantime, rest up!  :snowman:

IMO the lows are too strong for GA and AL verbatim to be all snow but so far out still.

I agree but I didn't want to say that. Not to be negative or anything but this is a prime location for it to trend north-west to really bank up against the Appalachians even if it does take out Atlanta and all of South Carolina doing so in the next few days. A lot of folks are in play with this one and I wouldn't be surprised if even DC came into play. 

Please God just give me 1" of snow and I will be happy. I really hope these maps don't make the rounds on social media on Saturday and people take them literally. Obviously, there's no chance of that much snow in Atlanta. It's never happened in recorded history and it's foolish to think there will even be 25% of the snow it's showing. I agree with NWNC about the northwest trend being a good possibility. I think TN may end up being in a really good spot.

Guys and gals...it been way too long a time since being on here. A lot of things going on both weather and non-weather related in my life. But as soon as saw this run, I had to come back to where it all began for me...just wanted to see the reaction from the Southeast peeps...quite a run on the Euro no doubt!

Please God just give me 1" of snow and I will be happy. I really hope these maps don't make the rounds on social media on Saturday and people take them literally. Obviously, there's no chance of that much snow in Atlanta. It's never happened in recorded history and it's foolish to think there will even be 25% of the snow it's showing. I agree with NWNC about the northwest trend being a good possibility. I think TN may end up being in a really good spot.

With the NAO and AO negative the NW trend is much less likely.  That PV is pretty far south in Canada at 130 hours...the problem is if a piece of the PV phases in with the SRN stream wave it can pull it north

For those around Columbia, SC. The maps are already borderline for the area and temps are NOT supportive of accumulating snowfall on the 00z ECMWF Operational run.  You guys want a bit further South storm at that strength and colder.  In turn, that would take others out of the snow.

Having watched Gulf storms basically all my life, I fully believe the Euro is vastly underestimating the size of the precip shield with the strength and track of those lows.  

For whatever reason, models tend to do so on almost every storm they show moving across the Northern GOM. If that run came to pass, I'd probably paint 3-6 inches at least as far north as east central Kentucky where it's barely getting flakes to Northern Georgia and Alabama on a storm sitting at 999 at the Florida panhandle.

For those around Columbia, SC. The maps are already borderline for the area and temps are NOT supportive of accumulating snowfall on the 00z ECMWF Operational run.  You guys want a bit further South storm at that strength and colder.  In turn, that would take others out of the snow.

Or a bit weaker low, correct?

Or a bit weaker low, correct?

It's all dependent on the situation.  I would say climo would suggest for a strong low to produce a monster storm in Columbia, to track across North-Central Florida.  A weaker storm in the Northern Gulf can still produce a nice 4-6 inch if things are perfect and you are under heavier banding as it slightly turns up the coast and out to sea.  That would take a few huge totals away from NC of course.

It's all dependent on the situation.  I would say climo would suggest for a strong low to produce a monster storm in Columbia, to track across North-Central Florida.  A weaker storm in the Northern Gulf can still produce a nice 4-6 inch if things are perfect and you are under heavier banding as it slightly turns up the coast and out to sea.  That would take a few huge totals away from NC of course.

I would say that's probably true for Atlanta also.

I would say that's probably true for Atlanta also.

I was about to go into a rant of the I-20 corridor & deep South versus the rest of the Southeast, but thought it'd be confusing.  There have been many times that ATL has had a big storm and Columbia right on the edge with a dusting or rain while on the flip-side, Columbia has ended up with a bigger storm and Atlanta with the dusting or rain.

As a general rule growing up, if Dallas or Atlanta got snow I would pay attention living close to Columbia.  Over the years, it seems that isn't exactly the case anymore.  I do agree, you want that weaker low, but I think with cold crashing in quicker for Atlanta than Columbia, you fare a bit better with a Northern Gulf storm than Columbia would.

Didn't a run of the Para GFS yesterday have something like that?

1/21/87 is the only event I know of where ATL and near I-20 saw several inches of snow with a stronger low and it took a funky track.  It seems to me anything below 995mb I don't feel too good forecasting snow near I-20

1/21/87 is the only event I know of where ATL and near I-20 saw several inches of snow with a stronger low and it took a funky track.  It seems to me anything below 995mb I don't feel too good forecasting snow near I-20

I wasn't born then and am not the best on keeping bookmarks from past events.  Is there a link or good write-up on that event you could toss my (or the forum's) way?  That one sounds interesting.

Archived