• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62

Congrats on 35 at the stake, face plant shots of the glades ?

Haha I didn't say anything about the glades, you just said it was all snowmaking.

See Tim Kelly's SkiTheEast video...we were in the woods yesterday, along with Windex Weir. TK takes a nice little digger into a stream bed in that vid, lol.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you keep temp readings at your location? I'd assume you radiate really well.

Sorry, I saw that you had inquired about that earlier and hadn’t got around to responding yet.  We do seem to radiate fairly well – the temperature will often drop like a rock right when the sun goes down.  If you compare our location to say a spot at similar elevation to the west in the Champlain Valley, it can be 10 degrees F cooler where we are, which is awesome on those summer nights.  We’re definitely not in a spot that needs air conditioning.  It seems to be similar to PFs location with respect to temperatures, but he can be a touch cooler being slightly higher in elevation.  Our low temperatures aren’t especially low or anything relative to similar spots out here in the mountains.  After all, we’re in a low elevation valley, vs. a higher elevation one that is typically colder.  We’re also right by the Winooski River, which is a decent size river and seems to moderate our temperatures somewhat when the water isn’t frozen.

As for readings, I’ve got a thermometer and often report the temperature when I make my CoCoRaHS report and other snowfall observations, but other than that I don’t track it.

global warming works really fast. :(

Acadia National Park Community posted on their FB page the following ...

"Climate change is killing winter tourism in the Northeastern US.

Big fluctuations in temperature and a shortage of snow for ski areas has hit the area hard."

Evidently last year's crushing has been wiped from their memory :(

Acadia National Park Community posted on their FB page the following ...

"Climate change is killing winter tourism in the Northeastern US.

Big fluctuations in temperature and a shortage of snow for ski areas has hit the area hard."

Evidently last year's crushing has been wiped from their memory :(

It's amazing how idiotic this gets.

-1F...last sub-zero of the season?

Closer to -10 at my place, and if it's clear and calm tonight, the ol' frost pocket might sneak down to zero or a bit below.  Forecast low is 10.  Makes 17 of 18 years to see subzero in March; exception was in 2010 (naturally) when the bottom was 11.  If this morning actually got down to -10 or below, that would make 10 years with double-digits below in March.

Hopefully

Amazing difference from this year to last year... I just went through the number of sub-zero days this season and last season during MET winter.

Last winter: 38 days with a sub-zero temperature.

This winter: 10 days with a sub-zero temperature.

This year the MVL ASOS DJF/met winter average was +8.3F.  Last year was -5.0F.

Amazing difference from this year to last year... I just went through the number of sub-zero days this season and last season during MET winter.

This year the MVL ASOS DJF/met winter average was +8.3F.  Last year was -5.0F.

We're at 16, which I thought to be my lowest for sure, but 2009-10 holds that title at 15 and I'm tied with 01-02 for 2nd lowest.  If today stayed 32 or lower, as I think, were at 43 such days.  Lowest here is 49 in 1998-99, and I see the chances of 6 more days not topping 32 as barely north of zero.  We'd need another April 1982 to make it.

This year the MVL ASOS DJF/met winter average was +8.3F. Last year was -5.0F.

Last year I had 17 mornings below zero. This year has been 3 mornings below zero.

Similar ratios, especially considering the seasonal patterns.

Archived