• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

that goes without saying.  Weenies til the end.   There's always a chance of some lucky threat, but any chance of a decent cold pattern locking in are pretty much toast and that's what the frustration is about-looked so good 5-7 days ago and now it's endless warmth and cutters....

I guess I'm not seeing where this "endless warmth" idea is coming from.

But perhaps I'm missing something.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to differentiate between a couple of different types of cliff jumpers.  There are those who are jumping because they don't think we will get any type of event in the 4-6 weeks and then there are those who are jumping because of a lost season, that even a record snowy March can't redeem.  

I don't understand those in the former group.  New England in general and NNE specifically, can get good snowstorms into April. To my knowledge, March 2012 has not been progged or modeled anywhere so there will be chances.  

I am in the latter group.  There is no redeeming this season if you have any connection whatsoever to winter recreation.  Sure, the big resorts can scrape by with their snowmaking systems but even the best are still limited.  The ancillary business have taken an absolute crushing.  However, because this has been an NNE wide phenomenon, there is hope that if we can bang out a couple of good early March snow events that pent up demand may help staunch a little bit of the bleeding.  It can never fix all the damage done but it could help a little.  

It's not over, esp in NNE. However, as long as you have reasonable expectations...hopefully most don't swallow an uzi. I made a post in the pattern thread and I'm sure people now expect to hop to May. If that only could be true.

As much as just dogged climo, I still think we get a warning criteria event up here. It won't save winter but would be nice to track one reasonable storm that brings 7"+ in a 12-24 hour period.

Maybe it'll be like April 27-28, 2010, which was the largest snow event for a bunch of folks in northern VT. That was the like spots getting 18" with leaves already green from the ridiculous warmth earlier.

I want to differentiate between a couple of different types of cliff jumpers.  There are those who are jumping because they don't think we will get any type of event in the 4-6 weeks and then there are those who are jumping because of a lost season, that even a record snowy March can't redeem.  

I don't understand those in the former group.  New England in general and NNE specifically, can get good snowstorms into April. To my knowledge, March 2012 has not been progged or modeled anywhere so there will be chances.  

I am in the latter group.  There is no redeeming this season if you have any connection whatsoever to winter recreation.  Sure, the big resorts can scrape by with their snowmaking systems but even the best are still limited.  The ancillary business have taken an absolute crushing.  However, because this has been an NNE wide phenomenon, there is hope that if we can bang out a couple of good early March snow events that pent up demand may help staunch a little bit of the bleeding.  It can never fix all the damage done but it could help a little.  

It's definitely been a disaster up there. I haven't even skied up in NNE yet this winter. Not sure I will ever make it.

Hopefully there's a couple really good March events up there to give a bit of a boost to the late season skiing.

It's definitely been a disaster up there. I haven't even skied up in NNE yet this winter. Not sure I will ever make it.

Hopefully there's a couple really good March events up there to give a bit of a boost to the late season skiing.

Probably going to get something ridiculous like this... after its all done and greening up.

I love the date on this map.  So ridiculously late in the season for widespread big snow.  That means we have a solid 2 more months of threats.

27APR10E.jpg

This would also be the year for a May 2002 or a May 1977 (that's the right year I think).

Brian gets on the warmth train after every bad op run.

I think that's just called March when average highs march through the 40s on their way to the low 50s. If you're in SNE below 1000 ft, unless the pattern looks terrible, we reasonably have about 4 weeks left - that's basically what climo dictates.

I guess I'm not seeing where this "endless warmth" idea is coming from.

But perhaps I'm missing something.

I'm not seeing it either, though my interpretive skills are low-end at best.  However, the rule for this winter, so far, might as well be: 

If you see cutters out past day 7, lock it in.  If you see good snow out that far, hold your water and wait for the mega-move west - or occasionally OTS.  (Hasn't worked every time, but the d-7+ cutter verifications must be about 90%, the snow dumps about 15%.  Or so it seems.)

This is why cutters always work out and snowstorms don't. Look at the size of the snow zone. Look at the size of the rain area. Need a very specific track for snow...not so much for rain.

It's also why a nice SWFE or overrunning pattern can be great and very prolific for New England. You don't need as narrow a track on those when the Synoptics are favorable. You just keep throwing low pressures at us in various flavors and they triple point south of us and dump snow.

It's also why a nice SWFE or overrunning pattern can be great and very prolific for New England. You don't need as narrow a track on those when the Synoptics are favorable. You just keep throwing low pressures at us in various flavors and they triple point south of us and dump snow.

We pray for December 2016 to be just like that.

I'd take those all winter long .

For those with a wave fetish (Ginx looking at you), the Eddie Aikau is a go today out in Hawaii.

NW Hawaii buoy reporting 24 foot swell every 17 seconds (read: powerful), translating to 35-45 footers over the reef break. They only hold this tourney when waves are consistently over 30 feet in Waimea Bay (8 times since 1984).

post-44-0-86847000-1456435340_thumb.png

That's someone catching a wave, and you might be able to see in the top left of the wave a surfer riding over it. Assuming his board is around the average 7 feet in length, that face is every bit of 30+.

Archived