Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is killing you. I really do feel bad.

Its unprecedented right now in 60 years of record keeping.  I'm fascinated in the extreme-ness of it. 

The Co-Op averages 1.7" per day and we are lucky if we get that per week.  The dryness has a lot to do with it too, as the average is 0.19" QPF per day on the mountain.  So when looking at the models, normal would be seeing up to 1.50" QPF every 7-day total. 

Its hard to fathom just how bad this winter is.  Even the bad winters usually snow up here, haha.

Sitting at 3.9" here, seasonal average is 60".  Looks like next weeks system will find a way to miss as well.

You guys are in the same exact boat.  Look at the radar today... ALB to BTV shafted. I actually think the even bigger "loser" area may be the Saratoga/Lake George/GFL area.  They average 80" a year in Lake George and may be under a half a foot total for the year.

Its unprecedented right now in 60 years of record keeping.  I'm fascinated in the extreme-ness of it. 

The Co-Op averages 1.7" per day and we are lucky if we get that per week.  The dryness has a lot to do with it too, as the average is 0.19" QPF per day on the mountain.  So when looking at the models, normal would be seeing up to 1.50" QPF every 7-day total. 

Its hard to fathom just how bad this winter is.  Even the bad winters usually snow up here, haha.

You guys are in the same exact boat.  Look at the radar today... ALB to BTV shafted. I actually think the even bigger "loser" area may be the Saratoga/Lake George/GFL area.  They average 80" a year in Lake George and may be under a half a foot total for the year.

Good point.  The southern Greens must really be struggling as well despite getting a couple inches today.

Sitting at 3.9" here, seasonal average is 60".  Looks like next weeks system will find a way to miss as well.

The futility record at ALB is 13.8. Its possible, but you would really have to get skunked the next 2 months to get under that.  Well, the same kind of skunking that has happened in NOV- JAN this year, so guess its possible.

Season_LeastSnowiest(1).JPG

So I was digging around St. John's climate date today.  Found the wind records, holy smokes:

Max sustained wind: 74 knots, Feb 16th, 1959

Max gust: 104 knots, Feb 16th, 1959 and March 15th, 1956

Monthly wind gusts are records are 79 knots or higher every month besides June, July, and August.  A couple extratropical transition hurricanes in there in the fall but mostly winter storms. 

So I was digging around St. John's climate date today.  Found the wind records, holy smokes:

Max sustained wind: 74 knots, Feb 16th, 1959

Max gust: 104 knots, Feb 16th, 1959 and March 15th, 1956

Monthly wind gusts are records are 79 knots or higher every month besides June, July, and August.  A couple extratropical transition hurricanes in there in the fall but mostly winter storms.

No surprise after seeing this.

http://meteocentre.com/reanalyses/get_reanalyses.php?lang=en&mod=ncep&area=na&yyyy=1959&mm=02&dd=16&run=06

I don't get why some in SNE are ****ting on next week, sure the KU potential is not great but there's a pretty unanimous consensus for several inches of snow early week in SNE and possibly something late in the week as well. 18z GFS had warning level totals for most of CT/eastern MA and the only comments I see on it are complaining about it. Are we that spoiled?

I've been seeing the KU or bust mentality around here a lot recently and if thats what you're in the market for, you're living in the wrong area. Despite the last few years, most of our snow comes from events like the one progged for early next week. Sorry for the rant, but had to get that off my chest.

Those of you in CNE/NNE though, feel free to vent away. Hoping hard for a turnaround for both you guys and my ski season.

I don't get why some in SNE are ****ting on next week, sure the KU potential is not great but there's a pretty unanimous consensus for several inches of snow early week in SNE and possibly something late in the week as well. 18z GFS had warning level totals for most of CT/eastern MA and the only comments I see on it are complaining about it. Are we that spoiled?

I've been seeing the KU or bust mentality around here a lot recently and if thats what you're in the market for, you're living in the wrong area. Despite the last few years, most of our snow comes from events like the one progged for early next week. Sorry for the rant, but had to get that off my chest.

Those of you in CNE/NNE though, feel free to vent away. Hoping hard for a turnaround for both you guys and my ski season.

I generally agree. But my one critique would be, where exactly should one move to receive more "KU" events?

I think our chances for a big ticket are minimal. I am about ready to call it up here. The hard part will be the long wait to try again in 2016-2017.

Good point. The southern Greens must really be struggling as well despite getting a couple inches today.

The Southern Greens are in a multi-year snow drought that is damn impressive. The yearly precipitation data is not grossly skewed towards abnormally low because we have had some impressive rain events which have, ironically, been more synoptic than convective.

The Southern Greens are in a multi-year snow drought that is damn impressive. The yearly precipitation data is not grossly skewed towards abnormally low because we have had some impressive rain events which have, ironically, been more synoptic than convective.

I only say ironic because you would think that summer t-storms made the difference for keeping precipitation totals near average despite the snow drought but there have been a fair share of big coastal storms bringing Spring/Summer deluges.

I generally agree. But my one critique would be, where exactly should one move to receive more "KU" events?

Probably the mountains out west. Lol.

But yeah...KU Fever has definitely been contagious here the last few years. Not hard to see why given how many we have had recently. But that is abnormal and will not continue.

As a side note I'm down in NJ now. Drove down tonight and by the time we got to NY border on the way down it was pretty skimpy snow cover. Kind of depressing to drive from a foot of snow to a thin cover.

It's starting to remind me of powderfreak's area.

But yeah...KU Fever has definitely been contagious here the last few years. Not hard to see why given how many we have had recently. But that is abnormal and will not continue.

As a side note I'm down in NJ now. Drove down tonight and by the time we got to NY border on the way down it was pretty skimpy snow cover. Kind of depressing to drive from a foot of snow to a thin cover.

:lol:

Don't feel badly for Jersey, dude....they had theirs....and ours.

and that is why i am so terrified bc there have been so many kus but overal here in western mass we have been more on the outside looking in with only a couple exceptions and eventually we will revert back to a pattern where they are rare...some of us may not live another 20 plus years or more for an active pattern god forbid another period like in the 70s and 80s shows up

and that is why i am so terrified bc there have been so many kus but overal here in western mass we have been more on the outside looking in with only a couple exceptions and eventually we will revert back to a pattern where they are rare...some of us may not live another 20 plus years or more for an active pattern god forbid another period like in the 70s and 80s shows up

The late 70's were fabulous!! I hear ya with feeling shut out..I get it, but you gotta get out of that snow hole-period.

I live in an elevated valley-about 15 miles west of the CT RIVER valley, and we don't get the snow problems that you do where you are. There's times that every area gets lucky. But your area is a disaster for snow more times than not. Move out of there if you want more snow.

The late 70's were fabulous!! I hear ya with feeling shut out..I get it, but you gotta get out of that snow hole-period.

I live in an elevated valley-about 15 miles west of the CT RIVER valley, and we don't get the snow problems that you do where you are. There's times that every area gets lucky. But your area is a disaster for snow more times than not. Move out of there if you want more snow.

i lived in Bristol ct  for 30 years and moved out just when the kus were starting to slam sne...once i was up here in 04-05 which was awesome down your way, i quickly realized the horror of winters in the lower ct river valley

i lived in Bristol ct  for 30 years and moved out just when the kus were starting to slam sne...once i was up here in 04-05 which was awesome down your way, i quickly realized the horror of winters in the lower ct river valley

Exactly my friend!! Bristol is like 3 miles from me! We got 10 inches today. Get out of that snow hole. If you were back in Bristol, you'd have 10 inches.

Got 8 inches in the blizzard 2weeks ago. Nothing compared to the 30 inches that NYC got ofcourse, but for it missing SNE for the most part (except for SWCT), it was a very nice event. I know you didn't do to well with that one either. I know it sucks, but that place just sucks for decent snow, more times than not.

I thought KU events were specifically Northeast snowstorms. Isn't that what the book is about?

Archived