Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or the GFS op. Come to think of it may I suggest "if" anyone uses NAM in any context they should be given A HUGE I mean HUGE time-out until let say election day 2020....LOL

Nam is somewhat useful when it comes to convection as its a meso, But the GFS Op tends to flip flop from run to run and loses systems only to bring them back then end up being wrong when you need it in the short term...........lol

read the afd from last night seems they were thinking 1 to 2 did they upgrade after?

.SHORT TERM...(THIS EVENING THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT)
ISSUED AT 248 PM CST WED JAN 6 2016

CHALLENGE FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS WILL BE SNOW CHANCES WITH FOG
COVERAGE AND DENSITY. CURRENT SATURATED BLYR AIRMASS WILL LINGER
ACROSS THE AREA WITH MINIMAL SFC TEMP/MOISTURE ADVECTION TO ALTER
CURRENT CONDITIONS. MODELS CONTINUE TO HINT AT SNOW DEVELOPING IN
THE SE ND BEFORE 06Z. NAM AND HIRES MESOSCALE MODELS ARE PRODUCING
A QUASI STATIONARY BAND OF QPF...ORIENTED SW TO NE FROM THE
LISBON TO FARGO TO ADA AREAS. FRONTOGENETICAL FORCING FOR A 4 TO 6
HOUR TIME PERIOD ALONG WITH NEG EPV AND COINCIDENT OMEGA APPEARS
TO BE ALIGNING UP. A COUPLE HINDRANCES TO EFFICIENT SNOW MAKING
WILL BE SNOW RATIOS BETWEEN 8 AND 10 TO ONE AND THE BEST LIFT IS
OCCURRING IN THE -6 TO -10C TEMP LAYER. NONETHELESS WILL UP POPS
IN SE ND TO LIKELY FOR THE MIDNIGHT TIME FRAME AND BRING 1 TO 2
INCHES OF SNOW TO THE AREA BY MIDMORNING.
IF DURATION IS LONGER
AND INSTABILITY IS REALIZED MORE EFFICIENTLY THEN HIGHER AMOUNTS
ARE POSSIBLE.

There was a winter storm warning in effect. 

read the afd from last night seems they were thinking 1 to 2 did they upgrade after?

Its a very narrow band of 10-15 miles wide.  I think all the ingredients came together just right to have it occur.  Around 3am they mentioned someone had 6" at that point and started to see this narrow band slowly sit there.  Not sure it was something they could have necessarily foreseen.

Its a very narrow band of 10-15 miles wide. I think all the ingredients came together just right to have it occur. Around 3am they mentioned someone had 6" at that point and started to see this narrow band slowly sit there. Not sure it was something they could have necessarily foreseen.

That's pretty cool.

thats why i said that ryan said there was a wsw up but the afd said 1 to 2 earlier in the night if the wsw came after then yes it would have been a surprise snow as kevin said

Its a very narrow band of 10-15 miles wide.  I think all the ingredients came together just right to have it occur.  Around 3am they mentioned someone had 6" at that point and started to see this narrow band slowly sit there.  Not sure it was something they could have necessarily foreseen.

Archived