joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2016 Obs

Isopycnic

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love seeing posts like this from local governments - using OFFICIAL sources with their warnings or shared information.

A rapidly moving coastal low pressure system will impact Eastern NC Friday and Friday night. This will bring the threat of heavy rainfall, gusty winds, and isolated thunderstorms. Expect rainfall amounts of 1-2 inches across the area, with locally higher amounts possible. An isolated strong thunderstorm will be possible along the coast Friday afternoon and evening. Gale warnings have been issued for the Pamlico Sound and the coastal waters south of Oregon Inlet, with seas peaking around 8-12 feet Friday night.

12494965_679249498844315_608304465785796

Haven't followed much of what's going on down in Florida tomorrow, but this is trending on Facebook right now...

The Lee County School District informed parents Thursday afternoon that anyone keeping a student home Friday due to concerns about approaching inclement weather will have the absence considered "excused."

You can track the storms with the NBC2 weather app: http://bit.ly/1lITaX6

I'm not sure why this happened but we've gotten tons more rain than forecast... my VP2 says I've received 1.79" since about 6am, which means my Cocorahs guage likely has around or almost 2" in it. This when I was forecast to get around half an inch. Hopefully Sunday morning's "system" overperforms as well.

Wake low baby......well maybe not exactly but close

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEWPORT/MOREHEAD CITY NC
352 PM EST FRI JAN 15 2016

NCZ044-079-090>093-095-098-104-152300-
PITT-GREENE-DUPLIN-LENOIR-JONES-CRAVEN-CARTERET-ONSLOW-
OUTER BANKS HYDE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GREENVILLE...BETHEL...FARMVILLE...
GRIFTON...GRIMESLAND...SNOW HILL...HOOKERTON...WALSTONBURG...
WALLACE...WARSAW...KENANSVILLE...BEULAVILLE...FAISON...KINSTON...
LA GRANGE...PINK HILL...MAYSVILLE...POLLOCKSVILLE...TRENTON...
NEW BERN...HAVELOCK...VANCEBORO...COVE CITY...MOREHEAD CITY...
BEAUFORT...NEWPORT...ATLANTIC BEACH...EMERALD ISLE...
JACKSONVILLE...RICHLANDS...SWANSBORO...NORTH TOPSAIL BEACH...
OCRACOKE
352 PM EST FRI JAN 15 2016

...PERIOD OF STRONG WINDS POSSIBLE AS RAIN ENDS...

WIND GUSTS OF 40 TO 50 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE OVER THE SOUTHWEST
PORTION OF THE AREA LATE THIS AFTERNOON. MOST OF THIS WIND IS
OCCURRING AS RAIN ENDS AND DEEPENING LOW PRESSURE APPROACHES.

THESE WINDS COULD BLOW AROUND LOOSE OBJECTS. DUE TO WET GROUND A
FEW TREES COULD ALSO GET BLOW DOWN...POSSIBLY LEADING TO POWER
OUTAGES.

Clouds are amazing out there. 2 distinct low levels, one from the East, one from the SE, a dark mid level moving from the SW, and a 4th brighter layer higher up from due South.

The winds lasted maybe 10 minutes at their peak. Now as we clear out above the low clouds are screaming from east to west. My wife looked up and said she almost felt dizzy cause of the illusion that one cloud deck was racing east while the other raced west. Really cool surprise.

I'm not sure why this happened but we've gotten tons more rain than forecast... my VP2 says I've received 1.79" since about 6am, which means my Cocorahs guage likely has around or almost 2" in it. This when I was forecast to get around half an inch. Hopefully Sunday morning's "system" overperforms as well.

Yes I got slightly less than 2" as well this morning, about 12 miles or so west of Cumming.  It rained a lot more than I expected.  Quite heavy for long periods of time.

Did you see the snow there?  For maybe.. 60 seconds about 8:45 or so.  Mixed with raindrops.  LOL!

Posted on the GSP Facebook page.

At Greenville-Spartanburg, the average temperature from December 1 of 2015 through January 14 of 2016 was 50.8 degrees, the warmest on record for that time frame. The second warmest over those dates was 50.5 degrees in 1931-1932 and the coolest was 32.1 degrees in 1917-1918.

At Asheville, the average temperature from December 1 of 2015 through January 14 of 2016 was 46.5 degrees, the 4th warmest on record for that time frame. The warmest over those dates was 50.4 degrees in 1889-1890, and the coolest was 28.5 degrees in 1917-1918.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived