• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2016 BANTER

Isopycnic

If the 12z nam is the start of a trend, the upstate of SC may end up with mostly a heavy rain. The CAD was weaker on it's latest run and another bump of 2-3 degrees warmer would take us out of this storm..

I feel like we've seen this show before - one of two options for the Upstate IMO: heavy rain, or a sleet storm (like last year).  Not letting myself get too excited about this one, but it's weather and these are just a bunch of computers guessing - we'll have to wait and see.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like we've seen this show before - one of two options for the Upstate IMO: heavy rain, or a sleet storm (like last year). Not letting myself get too excited about this one, but it's weather and these are just a bunch of computers guessing - we'll have to wait and see.

Like others it's just hard to get excited. Tough forecast for us down near Charlotte. Most of the time it always is. Been disappointed many times by the warm nose or a slight shift in a track of the low. At this point models can only predict so much. I will say I will take a cold rain over losing power from a crippling ice storm any day. So count me out for some of the ice totals being shown at this point.

If the 12z nam is the start of a trend, the upstate of SC may end up with mostly a heavy rain. The CAD was weaker on it's latest run and another bump of 2-3 degrees warmer would take us out of this storm..

Very good point. The freezing rain and snow totals both went up, the former probably because there was less sleet. Seems that could easily move even warmer to rain if that low reforms too close to the coast. Supposedly the NAM has a great handle a 2M temps at this range. I guess we'll see. 

Silly weather channel with their head in the dirt. This is my forecast and I live a few miles from Charlotte....

With the possibility for a devastating ice storm, this actually really makes me mad since so many people just look at their forecast.4efc5043ae48a985526df8cdffbf792c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They legitimately had rain as my area's forecast for Friday, as of last night. I nearly LOLed when I saw it.

For the novice, can you elaborate on what's going on with the current models?

The 12z NAM came in a bit warmer for the Upstate areas, but the RGEM still seems sold on keeping it colder - much colder in fact. The NAM still shows a significant winter storm, but if it's a trend, it means we could be talking about more liquid precip (as in rain) than frozen/freezing. 

Having said that, it also cooled down the Raleigh area, so Oconee's comment about that easterly wind looks like it might be spot on, as the easterly wind coming off the Atlantic is probably interrupting the flow of colder/drier air to our north east.

So to summarize, ???? :) 

The 12z NAM came in a bit warmer for the Upstate areas, but the RGEM still seems sold on keeping it colder - much colder in fact. The NAM still shows a significant winter storm, but if it's a trend, it means we could be talking about more liquid precip (as in rain) than frozen/freezing. 

Having said that, it also cooled down the Raleigh area, so Oconee's comment about that easterly wind looks like it might be spot on, as the easterly wind coming off the Atlantic is probably interrupting the flow of colder/drier air to our north east.

So to summarize, ???? :)

Fantastic!  Thank you!  Trying to learn all this on the fly.  Very very interesting (always wanted to learn about all this).

When people say RDU in the storm thread, do they mean RDU airport, Raleigh city proper, or the Triangle as a whole (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill)? Asking because I live in Carrboro, and that's a good 40 miles west of parts of Raleigh. I'm wondering if the above freezing temps spoken about at hr 36 goes for Wake. Durham and orange or just wake? Anyone can clarify for me?

When people say RDU in the storm thread, do they mean RDU airport, Raleigh city proper, or the Triangle as a whole (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill)? Asking because I live in Carrboro, and that's a good 40 miles west of parts of Raleigh. I'm wondering if the above freezing temps spoken about at hr 36 goes for Wake. Durham and orange or just wake? Anyone can clarify for me?

rdu as in the airport.  youre in a better spot as you are west.  

You are in a good spot. Heck out that way i would pay attention to what they are saying for greensboro and the triad as well as the triangle. Im just past the airport literally on the wake durham county line and many times winter weather here is totally different than Downtown raleigh, garner, apex etc. Carrboro u have a little more elevation out that way too.

Well for Clt, I think I'm taking the whatever, wait and see approach. Again on the southern side of the storm with a forecasted low and high temperature of 32 through the duration. That really doesn't scare me for freezing rain as of now. Hoping to get colder aloft with the wedging and at least see more sleet and snow. See where things go today. If it doesn't get colder than 32, I don't think it's much of a storm for clt imo, just like 96.

You are in a good spot. Heck out that way i would pay attention to what they are saying for greensboro and the triad as well as the triangle. Im just past the airport literally on the wake durham county line and many times winter weather here is totally different than Downtown raleigh, garner, apex etc. Carrboro u have a little more elevation out that way too.

Yeah it seems to be a real sharp gradient the farther west you go starting from like the center of Wake county. Hopefully Carrboro gets more snow since its farther west...maybe like 5" or so?

Archived