Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Attention All Philly Subforum Members

Rjay

Attention All Philly Subforum Members  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to merge with the NYC subforum?

• Yes
    • No

Give me a break! Someone asked about a link since that site was mentioned. It is simply passing along a link to another site on the internet!

If that was the intention, and not the childish bs of spamming it numerous times while essentially saying "dont post here, post at this linked site where the good philly posters went", then there are certainly better ways to go about it.

This has nothing to do with feeling "threatened" or we'd simply ban people who post at other sites. Numerous people here, myself included, post at multiple sites and they all can coexist without issue.

If that was the intention, and not the childish bs of spamming it numerous times while essentially saying "dont post here, post at this linked site where the good philly posters went", then there are certainly better ways to go about it.

Do you want to try again? I posted it once!

I belong to this site and also the other one, but I do not post that much for several reasons.

Yes Mike, I recall the incident that probably caused you and most Mount Holly mets to leave this forum. It wasn’t my intention to imply that there have never been any issues.

It sucks for the rest of us who still post here that there is such little red tagger participation. Perhaps if there was, this place would be a little more active. But I can understand the reluctance.

Understood and thank you. The rift between certain people on this site and the other one is unreal in my opinion.

To be perfectly honest, i didnt think there was a rift. That board is well run with incredible posters, and it serves its purpose. And its beginnings were probably necessary considering the history of the philly and nyc subforum, especially before the split. I consider some of those guys my favorite "internet" friends and have no issues with the boards coexisting. There are other "spin-off" boards with a more contentious relationship with amwx and many of those members still manage to post peacefully here too.

I dont want to go too much more into it, but reading posts from respected members essentially saying "this place sucks, heres where i post now" is a little more than just sharing another board for people to post at.

Yes Mike, I recall the incident that probably caused you and most Mount Holly mets to leave this forum. It wasn’t my intention to imply that there have never been any issues.

It sucks for the rest of us who still post here that there is such little red tagger participation. Perhaps if there was, this place would be a little more active. But I can understand the reluctance.

It is not just what happened here though. I do lurk but just do not spend that much time on the forums anymore.

And there it goes.  LOLZ.  Yeah there's really a problem with this place if it can't stand competition.

I deleted this comment before, but really, I don't care what happens here.  I don't spend any time here.  I go to Tom's forum.  Since I'm in the mid-atlantic now, I go there too, but my time spent in this sub-forum is near zero.  Given that situation and the lack of posting in general, it would make sense to merge the forums and just have a Philly area thread for obs/disco/banter.  They do that for other regions in NYC and in Mid-Atlantic already.

Competition is fine. Heck, it's easy enough for anyone to create their own forum now. The way the Philly fracture went down a couple of years ago will always leave me a little bitter though. There was really no need for it unless the goal was to have complete power. They had free reign to moderate this subforum how they wanted.

We are not the most active region at times, not do to forum members, but do to the WEATHER.  40's and clear for the next couple weeks.

What exactly do people think we should be posting about that is weather related?  We can have a bunch of dream threads like NY that never pan out, or we can do what we do...when there is an active threat, the forum comes alive.  How is that a bad thing?

For banter, there are other parts of this site.  For Philly area specific WEATHER, this forum has been a godsend to many people (snow plowing and general work related...and school related if you count that one kid).  Many of us browse this forum, and if there is an NYC merger, I guarantee those frequent members that browse are leaving the site for good.  There is absolutely ZERO advantage to a merger, but the advantages of a Philly specific forum are countless.  We don't have to sort through ridiculous threads, we don't have a million trolls, and we have our own weather.  If the Philly specific forum gets boring, you can look at the weather in the NY forum, or any other forum.

^You nailed it and I didn't have to type...seriously.

what was the incident?

A merger would be a nice idea for about 9 months out of the year. Right up until that first Miller B that shafts PHL with 1-2" of slush and NYC ends up with 10-14". Or the Miller A that is OTS for the NYC group and buries PHL with 12-18".

Then you'd see why a merger of PHL and NYC would be a bad idea.

So we shouldn't merge Because people's egos can't handle getting shafted over snow? Please ban the people that make this an issue. Problem solved.

You guys complain about lack of posts so they offer a option and the reaction is like its the worst thing in the world. Philly and NY have been together before and it was working until a few posters got greedy. Most of the main suspects have left to others boards or have been banned. We have a solid mod team now that actually does there job and wants to work to make the board better. Will there be bumps and stuff to be iron out absolutely, that's with any merger. A man once said you can achieve your greatest accomplishments when you step outside your comfort zone....

I agree.  I pretty much visit both forums when I come on here.  If somebody acts up they should be warned/banned.  (whatever the policy is)  I'd expect that on any message board.  Of course if the merger were to happen, it'd happen in a winter just like this ;) 

Merge. Being in cnj and almost equal distances to both big cities, I liked when it was together years back. It seems like merging would bring out more posts from people thay are just lurking or rarely post now because they are mostly talking to an empty audience. It is really sad how peoples egos get hurt over a weather board.

Competition is fine. Heck, it's easy enough for anyone to create their own forum now. The way the Philly fracture went down a couple of years ago will always leave me a little bitter though. There was really no need for it unless the goal was to have complete power. They had free reign to moderate this subforum how they wanted.

Adam always wanted complete power. He certainly had it in this forum. He was easily the most heavy handed moderator i have ever seen at any site. They have their two or three extremely knowledgeable people but they basically talk to themselves all day every day. Who wants a forum like that. Trust me they would love to be back here but can't swallow their pride. It can't be any fun talking to yourself and banning the other three people who dare say anything.  

New to this site b/c of a transfer (still haven't changed my username to reflect that) and am a lurker/learner, but I like the smaller feel of this forum, would not like the noise of the NYC forum. But then I'm used to the very busy Mid-Atlantic forum, which I still check for the fun of it, so it's all new to me. Climatologically, though, it makes sense to stay put--and, as folks have already said, the quiet right now certainly reflects this year's weather conditions.

Sounds like Chip Kelly

Adam always wanted complete power. He certainly had it in this forum. He was easily the most heavy handed moderator i have ever seen at any site. They have their two or three extremely knowledgeable people but they basically talk to themselves all day every day. Who wants a forum like that. Trust me they would love to be back here but can't swallow their pride. It can't be any fun talking to yourself and banning the other three people who dare say anything.

Well then, I learn something new everyday. Sounds like some got their feelings hurt on both sides.

i get it now...just read the ny version of this thread...mods are pissed at the quality of the ny forum and are hoping that adding us reasonable philly folk will improve things...in other words, it has nothing to do with improving the Philly forum, and everything to do with trying to drown out the yanksfans of the world...that tells me everything I need to know...I hope people vote, or change their votes, accordingly...

I wholeheartedly agree

i get it now...just read the ny version of this thread...mods are pissed at the quality of the ny forum and are hoping that adding us reasonable philly folk will improve things...in other words, it has nothing to do with improving the Philly forum, and everything to do with trying to drown out the yanksfans of the world...that tells me everything I need to know...I hope people vote, or change their votes, accordingly...

ESAD

New to this site b/c of a transfer (still haven't changed my username to reflect that) and am a lurker/learner, but I like the smaller feel of this forum, would not like the noise of the NYC forum. But then I'm used to the very busy Mid-Atlantic forum, which I still check for the fun of it, so it's all new to me. Climatologically, though, it makes sense to stay put--and, as folks have already said, the quiet right now certainly reflects this year's weather conditions.

welcome aboard! i disagree with you though about the quiet only reflecting the weather. even when hurricane joaquin was a threat this year, this board was still dead for the most part. And that was with some models showing a sandy-esque repeat. There really wasn't much discussion of it at all and honestly, the NY thread was one of the more informative threads on the storm. That really changed my opinion on merging. I think it would work and during storms like that, I think having the two forums together would only add to the quality of discussion. Sure there will be some banter and add-nothing posts but if the mods over there are serious about cutting that crap out, then I think a merge would only better serve the discussion. There are some good posters in that sub forum and this one is certainly lacking red taggers. I just think a merge would be good for everyone on big threats, and we can keep our own thread over there for local discussion. It's at least worth a try.

Wow...I haven't been on the board for awhile (I'm mostly a winter guy) but it is sad to read about all the conflict that has occurred in recent times. I have fond memories of the times at "eastern" (i think that was the name) and then good times when we all came here. Since I haven't posted in almost a year I'm not sure if my vote should count but I still prefer our own forum fwiw. As most others do, I check facebook sites and other weather forums too but I will gladly continue to come here too for as long as the board lasts.

Happy New Year everyone!!

Wow...I haven't been on the board for awhile (I'm mostly a winter guy) but it is sad to read about all the conflict that has occurred in recent times. I have fond memories of the times at "eastern" (i think that was the name) and then good times when we all came here. Since I haven't posted in almost a year I'm not sure if my vote should count but I still prefer our own forum fwiw. As most others do, I check facebook sites and other weather forums too but I will gladly continue to come here too for as long as the board lasts.

Happy New Year everyone!!

Well said. Many who were around since easternuswx probably agree.

Im against the merge, meanie.

I post on both sites but the brutal truth is neither site is as good as it could be if we were together. The other site is really just as quiet as this one for the most part so I need to hit both to get close to the old level of activity. Both sites have their merits....this site is certainly a much easier going place as at the other site there is not a lot of tolerance for dissenting or non-NWS opinions. In fact I had one professional MET email me telling me that they found it "insulting" that they chose to place any independent weather professional quotes and thoughts under what they term their non-weather "special" forum.  I told him I didn't think they did this to insult weather professionals but they were simply trying to keep folks like me from potentially taking a quote out of context - and potentially causing some strife.

There are great folks on both of these sites - so my ultimate hope would be we combine both of these sites somehow - but I am not holding my breath. Until that time I will continue to post on both sites.

Paul

Sounds like Chip Kelly