Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Attention All Philly Subforum Members

Rjay

Attention All Philly Subforum Members  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to merge with the NYC subforum?

• Yes
    • No

I think it's many people thought, "I'm sick of following storms which never seem to pan out, no sleep and I should be doing something else, more productive".

Unless weather is your livelihood, people just took a step back.

ha I think we were all there post nemo and juno...its all part of it though

no its not. i go there mostly.

Exactly. That board is a great source of knowledgeable info on models/long range. At AMWX, the NYC subforum atleast has info like that once you weed out the weenie posts. This subforum is basically IMBY posts. Very little discussion about actual weather threats/pattern changes/etc.

I'll add newer mods like bxengine and rjay are getting the NYC subforum in better shape. More organized and more crackdowns on weenies.

Again, I don't understand why those who spend most of their time at Tom and Adam's site feel the need to come in here and tell those of us who remain that we need to merge with the NYC forum? Why do you care what goes on here if you've essentially left/choose not to participate here?

I wish more mets like Tony, Mike, Ray and Mitch posted here. But they choose not to. I don't know why? This forum has never had a reputation of attacking red taggers the way other others do.

And I'm not trying to turn this into an "our forum vs Tom and Adam's" thing. I lurk there. I just choose to spend more time here and post here instead. So again, what's the issue?

Again, I don't understand why those who spend most of their time at Tom and Adam's site feel the need to come in here and tell those of us who remain that we need to merge with the NYC forum? Why do you care what goes on here if you've essentially left/choose not to participate here?

I wish more mets like Tony, Mike, Ray and Mitch posted here. But they choose not to. I don't know why? This forum has never had a reputation of attacking red taggers the way other others do.

And I'm not trying to turn this into an "our forum vs Tom and Adam's" thing. I lurk there. I just choose to spend more time here and post here instead. So again, what's the issue?

Can I please have the link....just want to check it out.

Again, I don't understand why those who spend most of their time at Tom and Adam's site feel the need to come in here and tell those of us who remain that we need to merge with the NYC forum? Why do you care what goes on here if you've essentially left/choose not to participate here?

And I'm not trying to turn this into an "our forum vs Tom and Adam's" thing. I lurk there. I just choose to spend more time here and post here instead. So again, what's the issue?

If you like talking to yourself here, fine I guess. Maybe if NYC/PHL merged, red taggers or other active PHL area posters who post elsewhere would post more here especially since the NYC subforum actually engages in weather discussion. Not just: "cloudy and 40 in Lansdale", "breezy in Horsham", "torch continues" etc.

I think they were trying to do this subforum a favor but it's not perceived that way or wanted by the looks of it. Oh well.

i use to be adamantly against a merge as there was so much banter in the nyc threads and i would get the same amount of information in one page here compared to wading through 7 pages of fluff in nyc threads. But now i would say yes. Maybe it's because I moved to New Jersey, but this place is pretty desolate. There's just zero discussion here and I don't even bother to post most of the time because it's pointless. we have a nice crew here but there is no more quality posts here. then again i don't really care enough to have a strong opinion either way. it's a weather forum with no bearing on my life.

As someone who has been mostly a reader as I continue to learn about the weather, I think separate is best. When there is no real storm threat to track, and this forum is a little quiet, I have no problem reading the NYC/Mid-Atlantic forums to keep me informed. But when there is a storm, I appreciate our philly group because everyone is level-headed and doesn't clog up the forum with ridiculous banter and can discuss local impacts. It's be extremely annoying to have the NYC people losing their minds over big model runs (which is a guarantee at some point) when I simply don't care about NYC impacts 

Wow.  I usually try to check in often to see what is going on and just saw this thread.  There are quite a few of us who do more lurking than posting but we are here (and yes, some of us are paying members  ;) ) and when events happen, we usually pop up and chime in.  But given the more benign weather patterns of late, it's been relatively quiet in here.  I think after past years of threats that became a big fail and other issues like wacked-out models that caused municipal over-reactions. etc.), plus this year's El Nino handwriting-on-the-wall, then I think that's why it seems dead (with less banter and model posting). But if you look in past threads when storms were imminent and/or on-going, there has been a lot of good discussion without all the weenie and left-field bravado posts.

IMHO, the microclimates here (Delaware Valley) really are a bit different, being a blend between Mid-Atlantic and NYC and I do appreciate the folks in this region providing "heads-up" posts as storms move from west -> east or south -> north.  Unless the admins think this is a waste of their resources, then I don't see why it can't remain the way it is.

As someone who has been mostly a reader as I continue to learn about the weather, I think separate is best. When there is no real storm threat to track, and this forum is a little quiet, I have no problem reading the NYC/Mid-Atlantic forums to keep me informed. But when there is a storm, I appreciate our philly group because everyone is level-headed and doesn't clog up the forum with ridiculous banter and can discuss local impacts. It's be extremely annoying to have the NYC people losing their minds over big model runs (which is a guarantee at some point) when I simply don't care about NYC impacts 

We can always have our own thread in the nyc/philly subforum so we don't have to wade through the nyc nonsense. I just think to get more activity for our area, merging is the way to go. There would just be more visibility and more mets from the nyc area chiming in for our area. I agree that the banter in NYC is unbearable when there is a high threat(just look at the hurricane threat thread from this year). But having our own thread keeps us all together and we would get more information by combining the two forums. I miss when this place was active. I know there hasn't been much to track but there's no discussion about long range or medium range. I find myself over in other forums anyway but it stinks not really being able to post there because I'm not in that area. At this point, I'd trade some stupid banter to have actually discussions. This forum is a ghost town and I think something needs to be done as the forum is just plain boring. Right now the western forum is more active... Btw I wasn't around when Tombo and company left...what was the reason for that? It seems their forum isn't much more active either, it would be nice for everyone to get back together and get some real discussions for our area going again.

And there it goes.  LOLZ.  Yeah there's really a problem with this place if it can't stand competition.

I deleted this comment before, but really, I don't care what happens here.  I don't spend any time here.  I go to Tom's forum.  Since I'm in the mid-atlantic now, I go there too, but my time spent in this sub-forum is near zero.  Given that situation and the lack of posting in general, it would make sense to merge the forums and just have a Philly area thread for obs/disco/banter.  They do that for other regions in NYC and in Mid-Atlantic already.

Ray and Iceman have the right idea. There can always be a PA/central/southern NJ/north DE thread for obs/disco/banter within a larger merged area. (They have this now with N/W of NYC posters currently). There isn't need for much more with the limited posters. Then you can have the general model/long range discussion threads open among the larger group spanning PHI and OKX NWS offices.

Ray and Iceman have the right idea. There can always be a PA/central/southern NJ/north DE thread for obs/disco/banter within a larger merged area. (They have this now with N/W of NYC posters currently). There isn't need for much more with the limited posters. Then you can have the general model/long range discussion threads open among the larger group spanning PHI and OKX NWS offices.

this sounds about right

Tomato, tomatoe. I lurk there quite a bit actually. Its still the same 3 or 4 folks talking to themselves day in, day out. There were more posts in this subforum today than the other site all subforums combined. Maybe thats not saying a whole lot tho.

Only reason there were more posts here is because of this topic. And those few people are way smarter than me.

Only reason there were more posts here is because of this topic. And those few people are way smarter than me.

I don't deny that small group are advanced meteorologists/scientists. I think that is part of the reason that particular forum is more geared towards red-taggers whereas americanwx seems more geared toward everyone including folks with little to no understanding of basic meteo.

We are not the most active region at times, not do to forum members, but do to the WEATHER.  40's and clear for the next couple weeks.

What exactly do people think we should be posting about that is weather related?  We can have a bunch of dream threads like NY that never pan out, or we can do what we do...when there is an active threat, the forum comes alive.  How is that a bad thing?

For banter, there are other parts of this site.  For Philly area specific WEATHER, this forum has been a godsend to many people (snow plowing and general work related...and school related if you count that one kid).  Many of us browse this forum, and if there is an NYC merger, I guarantee those frequent members that browse are leaving the site for good.  There is absolutely ZERO advantage to a merger, but the advantages of a Philly specific forum are countless.  We don't have to sort through ridiculous threads, we don't have a million trolls, and we have our own weather.  If the Philly specific forum gets boring, you can look at the weather in the NY forum, or any other forum.

I belong to this site and also the other one, but I do not post that much for several reasons.