Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Attention All Philly Subforum Members

Rjay

Attention All Philly Subforum Members  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to merge with the NYC subforum?

• Yes
    • No

51 minutes ago, wxman said:

H.A. no intention of "insulting" you or anyone.  You simply do not respect a differing point of view.  There are plenty of people who like things I find disgusting, and vice versa I'm sure.  You may pay a premium and love this place to death, but I hardly ever stop by and I'm sure you say that's great, why do I stick my nose in?  Well, simple, I want the owners of AMWX to know what I think and what may explain why this forum's participation is so low compared to surrounding areas and if they want to act, great, and if not that's cool too. What I find most surprising is that with viewership here so low, and the comments in this thread so one-sided (nearly everyone says they STRONGLY oppose merger)...almost 38% favor a merger.  Not everyone shares your view.  

Who is "you"?  I don't come here to get into silly arguments with people about what the models are claiming.  I mostly read, post obs and will add some interesting supporting info about what the weather is doing. I recently retired (almost 5 years ago) and fortunately now have more time to read through the posts here while working on my weather station (and data that I am gathering while configuring/tweaking the weewx app to have a local webpage displaying that data).  I actually follow tropical systems and on occasion have posted in that subforum during some of the biggies, although recently have been tracking remnants of systems that come through this area.

I think you might be mistaking the "quiet" posting without the knock-down drag out trolling, for "lack of interest".  If you believe that a raucous discussion is the only type that is "acceptable" then that is your opinion but I find it distracting when trying to absorb new info on how to approach forecasting. 

I'm just not getting what the problem is.  I know there were issues way in the past that apparently had to do with some moderators, and that caused a bunch of folks to go off and create a new site, but that has nothing to do with the people who continue to post and contribute here.  In any field, there will always be "differences of opinion" and I think the lay public would be shocked that this even happens in the science fields but it most certainly does (I was a chemist so I know arguments ensue about what certain data actually "means").

Oddly enough, the way the climatology is in this area based on how the jet stream ebbs and flows, we are often right under a flow that puts this area in marginal weather territory, with occasional spikes of extremes.  But it makes it inherently "different" and unique from other areas - particularly with the topography (e.g., the Piedmont vs the coastal plain), but then that also tends towards us having more "boring" weather.  There was a reason many centuries ago people settled in this area and that was because of a more stable, truly "temperate" weather pattern - particularly good for agriculture.

I don't have a problem with people from other subforums "popping in" - in fact during big events, they often do.  And I really haven't seen any rancor when they do come in and interact/contribute as events unfold.

As I posted elsewhere, if Randy and crew feel they want to further revise this site and consolidate the subforums, they are obviously going to do it regardless of what we think in some "poll", and will have their own reasons.  But to continue to come here and stir a pot is just non-productive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, why should we be punished and have OUR forum taken away because a bunch of our members left years ago to create their own wx site. Why is that our fault??

Because not enough of us have remained (and donate annually) we should have our forum closed?? Cancel culture!!

• Weenie 1

21 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Who is "you"?  I don't come here to get into silly arguments with people about what the models are claiming.  I mostly read, post obs and will add some interesting supporting info about what the weather is doing. I recently retired (almost 5 years ago) and fortunately now have more time to read through the posts here while working on my weather station (and data that I am gathering while configuring/tweaking the weewx app to have a local webpage displaying that data).  I actually follow tropical systems and on occasion have posted in that subforum during some of the biggies, although recently have been tracking remnants of systems that come through this area.

I think you might be mistaking the "quiet" posting without the knock-down drag out trolling, for "lack of interest".  If you believe that a raucous discussion is the only type that is "acceptable" then that is your opinion but I find it distracting when trying to absorb new info on how to approach forecasting. 

I'm just not getting what the problem is.  I know there were issues way in the past that apparently had to do with some moderators, and that caused a bunch of folks to go off and create a new site, but that has nothing to do with the people who continue to post and contribute here.  In any field, there will always be "differences of opinion" and I think the lay public would be shocked that this even happens in the science fields but it most certainly does (I was a chemist so I know arguments ensue about what certain data actually "means").

Oddly enough, the way the climatology is in this area based on how the jet stream ebbs and flows, we are often right under a flow that puts this area in marginal weather territory, with occasional spikes of extremes.  But it makes it inherently "different" and unique from other areas - particularly with the topography (e.g., the Piedmont vs the coastal plain), but then that also tends towards us having more "boring" weather.  There was a reason many centuries ago people settled in this area and that was because of a more stable, truly "temperate" weather pattern - particularly good for agriculture.

I don't have a problem with people from other subforums "popping in" - in fact during big events, they often do.  And I really haven't seen any rancor when they do come in and interact/contribute as events unfold.

As I posted elsewhere, if Randy and crew feel they want to further revise this site and consolidate the subforums, they are obviously going to do it regardless of what we think in some "poll", and will have their own reasons.  But to continue to come here and stir a pot is just non-productive.

I get your point of view, but to be clear no one posting here "stirred the pot" as the thread was started by a mod who raised the issue for reasons I think are obvious.  I think my final word on this will be this: for those looking for local obs (as you and others say) then one (or a few) ongoing threads for each locale within a larger, more vibrant forum makes more sense to me compared with what looks to me as a pretty slow (being kind here) forum  Peace. 

14 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Hey gang, I was just in the NYC forum. Apparently some posters in CT are seeing flakes...in case anyone down here in the Philly burbs has any interest in what's happening in CT.

Seeing this, maybe I will stir the pot a little.  Quite honestly the best (though still not great nor accurate) explanation for the perimeter of this forum is that it covers the Mt. Holly NWS region.  OK, first, that's not accurate, this forum covers "PHL metro, South and Central NJ, Northern DE and South Central PA."  While this includes the Mt Holly area, the latter area also includes Sussex cty NJ and Carbon cty Pa.  That fact eliminates the justification for this forum based on the notion that it covers only the local weather of the people who object to merger.  Conversely. Mt. Holly covers Middlesex cty NJ while Upton NWS covers Union (the counties are right next to each other).  I've come to the conclusion that the objectors like a smaller group and/or like those who are still in this forum, and not so much the "NYC types."   That's OK I suppose but recognize it for what it is; it has little to do with local weather.  So to JTA66, ask yourself,  does a poster in Cape May cares that people in Lansdale are "seeing flakes"?  And, FWIW, I as well as many in the Mt. Holly region saw those same flakes last night. 

• Weenie 1

37 minutes ago, wxman said:

Seeing this, maybe I will stir the pot a little.  Quite honestly the best (though still not great nor accurate) explanation for the perimeter of this forum is that it covers the Mt. Holly NWS region.  OK, first, that's not accurate, this forum covers "PHL metro, South and Central NJ, Northern DE and South Central PA."  While this includes the Mt Holly area, the latter area also includes Sussex cty NJ and Carbon cty Pa.  That fact eliminates the justification for this forum based on the notion that it covers only the local weather of the people who object to merger.  Conversely. Mt. Holly covers Middlesex cty NJ while Upton NWS covers Union (the counties are right next to each other).  I've come to the conclusion that the objectors like a smaller group and/or like those who are still in this forum, and not so much the "NYC types."   That's OK I suppose but recognize it for what it is; it has little to do with local weather.  So to JTA66, ask yourself,  does a poster in Cape May cares that people in Lansdale are "seeing flakes"?  And, FWIW, I as well as many in the Mt. Holly region saw those same flakes last night. 

duh

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wxman said:

You'll have to ask a Cape May poster :D

2 hours ago, wxman said:

But is does have to do with local weather, at least for me it does. Most weather systems approach from the west, south or southwest. If a line of severe storms is approaching, I like to read obs from RedSky, CoolHandMike, MattinPA to get an idea of what's headed my way. If the line fizzles, I can lament with Birds since we only live a few miles apart. If it's a winter storm, I like hearing from Kamu, Agnes or Kevin Reilly to get an idea of how long the virga may last or how quickly the changeover line is approaching.

In this sense, weather obs from the NYC forum are of little value to me -- these systems have already moved through my backyard. And as we say around here, this is very much a backyard sport.

Anyway, you know my views and I know yours. As Agnes said, ultimately it's up the the administrators here how they want to run their site.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JTA66 said:

But is does have to do with local weather, at least for me it does. Most weather systems approach from the west, south or southwest. If a line of severe storms is approaching, I like to read obs from RedSky, CoolHandMike, MattinPA to get an idea of what's headed my way. If the line fizzles, I can lament with Birds since we only live a few miles apart. If it's a winter storm, I like hearing from Kamu, Agnes or Kevin Reilly to get an idea of how long the virga may last or how quickly the changeover line is approaching.

In this sense, weather obs from the NYC forum are of little value to me -- these systems have already moved through my backyard. And as we say around here, this is very much a backyard sport.

Anyway, you know my views and I know yours. As Agnes said, ultimately it's up the the administrators here how they want to run their site.

Fair enough...but your exact reasoning would want me and countless others to read your posts to understand my/their weather.  Whether doing so is best done jumping from forum to forum is the issue, and I just think it's not.   I could be wrong about this but I would think that even PHL and NYC combined it would still be one of the smaller(est) forums in terms of geography.  Just makes sense to me given the relative lack of activity here, and even NYC to a lesser degree.

49 minutes ago, wxman said:

Fair enough...but your exact reasoning would want me and countless others to read your posts to understand my/their weather.  Whether doing so is best done jumping from forum to forum is the issue, and I just think it's not.   I could be wrong about this but I would think that even PHL and NYC combined it would still be one of the smaller(est) forums in terms of geography.  Just makes sense to me given the relative lack of activity here, and even NYC to a lesser degree.

You just don't get it....  

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, wxman said:

Diving in.  Huge difference in weather in this geography then up north.    If anything I'd rather be merged with Mid Atlantic.  If that's going to be a determining factor.  Hasn't happened yet, and I don't see it.  I like it here.

On 12/29/2015 at 6:43 PM, Ralph Wiggum said:

No merger please. There may be fewer posts here but there is a heck of a lot less inter-subforum arguing as well. We are a small, tight-knit family here....I vote to keep it that way.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Bingo!....you guys have it good.    Our 'sub'forum extends almost 1700 miles from northern MN to southern KY.  It includes Chicago, Milwaukee, Indy, Cleveland, Cincy, Louisville, Detroit, the U.P., DesMoines and various Lake effect hot spots.    We've managed to keep things somewhat under control but there are still times that the general storm threads can start to feel like the old days of Eastern when DC, Boston, and Columbus were all tracking the same storm and the threads turned into a dumpster fire.   

We've had this same question come up several times.  We've band-aided the issue by breaking off separate pinned threads that are more localized, but then you run into having to decide which thread to post in as threats evolve.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

Bingo!....you guys have it good.    Our 'sub'forum extends almost 1700 miles from northern MN to southern KY.  It includes Chicago, Milwaukee, Indy, Cleveland, Cincy, Louisville, Detroit, the U.P., DesMoines and various Lake effect hot spots.    We've managed to keep things somewhat under control but there are still times that the general storm threads can start to feel like the old days of Eastern when DC, Boston, and Columbus were all tracking the same storm and the threads turned into a dumpster fire.   

We've had this same question come up several times.  We've band-aided the issue by breaking off separate pinned threads that are more localized, but then you run into having to decide which thread to post in as threats evolve.    

What these guys here are arguing amounts to arguing that Peoria and Chicago should each have their own forums.  

On 12/8/2021 at 8:29 AM, wxman said:

I get your point of view, but to be clear no one posting here "stirred the pot" as the thread was started by a mod who raised the issue for reasons I think are obvious.  I think my final word on this will be this: for those looking for local obs (as you and others say) then one (or a few) ongoing threads for each locale within a larger, more vibrant forum makes more sense to me compared with what looks to me as a pretty slow (being kind here) forum  Peace. 

I thought the above was your "final word" but apparently not.

Philadelphia is the 2nd largest city by population on the east coast.  Full stop.

Enough of the bullshit.

• Weenie 1

12 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I thought the above was your "final word" but apparently not.

Philadelphia is the 2nd largest city by population on the east coast.  Full stop.

Enough of the bullshit.

How does this support your position in any respect?  "2nd largest city" yet among the fewest posters compared with other forums on the "east coast"? And, don't get "hung" up when I mention size, that's not really the issue, the issue is that most of the time outside of impending or ongoing snowstorms, there are literally a handful of posters (again, being kind) and crickets.  That may be fine by you, but up to AMWX to decide if it's what's best for its business.  

• Weenie 1