Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Attention All Philly Subforum Members

Rjay

Attention All Philly Subforum Members  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to merge with the NYC subforum?

• Yes
    • No

Shouldn't the configuration of the subforums be about weather rather than the current configuration of the posters? Based on that criteria the region from PHL to NYC should be a single subforum, as it was in the past. Just saying.

Why is that? Weather in the NW Philly suburbs can be wildly different that NYC or long island. We aren't even in the same NWS CWA. By your argument we should just have one subforum for earth weather.

I don't post in this subforum much anymore because I moved years ago, but I still "lurk" frequently (split time with the Pittsburgh threads essentially).  Though there is a decent chance this will be my home forum again within the next 6 months.

This topic has come up on occasion, maybe once or twice a year.  IMHO, I think generally it may make more sense to keep them apart.  This forum is certainly plenty active when there is weather to discuss, I think, but the reality is this winter is dead for the time being.  Other than the larger "macro" pattern, there's nothing really to talk about.  And who knows if we see anything favorable this season.  It just doesn't lend itself to great discussion.  I'm sure other forums are more active because of more users.  I don't know if that matters to others; I can say it doesn't matter to me.

With NYC being as big as it is I can only imagine it swallowing up the Philly folks, perhaps making it difficult to separate the two.  Eastern is a distant memory so I can't say I remember much about it and how we coexisted.  I suppose if people really don't like it here they can attempt to generate more discussion or visit the other subforums, perhaps even the "new" Philly weather forums (though I haven't been there myself so I can't comment on it further).

When speaking to merging, wouldn't merging with the Mid-Atlantic make just as much sense, if not more?  I think Philly and Baltimore's long-term yearly snowfall averages are closer to each other than Philly and New York (though none are very far apart).  Though D.C. is quite a drop-off from these three.  I suppose an argument could be made either way.

Perhaps we just merge them all and have individual threads for each city.  I admit it is somewhat unfortunate the true "weather talent" (actual meteorologists) is spread so thin, having to traverse multiple subforums to access all the different opinions.  Then again I understand much of this talent only offers discussion for their individual locales.  Not sure if it would change their process if all the locations were merged.

TL;DR: Didn't intend for this to be so long.  I'll keep visiting regardless of what happens with the forum configuration.  Prefer separate but okay with a merger whether it be NYC or MID-ATL & PHL.

You've been around a while, and I'm sure you remember the chaos at EUSWX. I can deal with it, but it's like a bad memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I remember the chaos and would welcome it back compared to the 6 or so posts a day we get right now. But the majority doesn't want a merge anyway so it s moot point. Just wish this forum was much more active.

It's was a perfect storm of events Tombo was overruled on punishment with a poster, Adam wanted more science into the board and less weenies/ctblizz posters, then HM got ran out of the sne thread and nothing was done because they thought he was taking away there snow. The new board obviously lacks the amount of posts but the medium range discussion and info is amazing. I'm bias because I'm friends with Tom, but I also like this board and enjoy posting here. Unfortunately with two new boards forming one Philly centric and the other NYC it has hurt both forums on this board. Again I don't get why philly is so against a merge,its not like you guys are having all this great discussion. It's the same 4 people giving obs, if that's what you want to protect then more power to you. I think it should just be done already to help both forums create more discussion.

Wow...I haven't been on the board for awhile (I'm mostly a winter guy) but it is sad to read about all the conflict that has occurred in recent times. I have fond memories of the times at "eastern" (i think that was the name) and then good times when we all came here. Since I haven't posted in almost a year I'm not sure if my vote should count but I still prefer our own forum fwiw. As most others do, I check facebook sites and other weather forums too but I will gladly continue to come here too for as long as the board lasts.

Happy New Year everyone!!

definitely remember you from the sports threads at eastern...caps fan right? 2008 series thread was a fun one :drunk:  welcome back, hopefully you'll have more to post about weather wise in a few weeks

Adam always wanted complete power. He certainly had it in this forum. He was easily the most heavy handed moderator i have ever seen at any site. They have their two or three extremely knowledgeable people but they basically talk to themselves all day every day. Who wants a forum like that. Trust me they would love to be back here but can't swallow their pride. It can't be any fun talking to yourself and banning the other three people who dare say anything.

Yes they are just knocking down the doors to get back

It's was a perfect storm of events Tombo was overruled on punishment with a poster, Adam wanted more science into the board and less weenies/ctblizz posters, then HM got ran out of the sne thread and nothing was done because they thought he was taking away there snow. The new board obviously lacks the amount of posts but the medium range discussion and info is amazing. I'm bias because I'm friends with Tom, but I also like this board and enjoy posting here. Unfortunately with two new boards forming one Philly centric and the other NYC it has hurt both forums on this board. Again I don't get why philly is so against a merge,its not like you guys are having all this great discussion. It's the same 4 people giving obs, if that's what you want to protect then more power to you. I think it should just be done already to help both forums create more discussion.

i'm one of those 4 posters and i 100% agree with you, but alas I am the minority and we have a good group of people here. wouldn't want to chase off the very few posters we have left.

i'm one of those 4 posters and i 100% agree with you, but alas I am the minority and we have a good group of people here. wouldn't want to chase off the very few posters we have left.

In glad you see the benefit of it and I would love to read your input on things. Unfortunately we have votes from posters that have found others homes or have a total post count of 100 that are being counted....imo they shouldn't count

In glad you see the benefit of it and I would love to read your input on things. Unfortunately we have votes from posters that have found others homes or have a total post count of 100 that are being counted....imo they shouldn't count

welcome aboard! i disagree with you though about the quiet only reflecting the weather. even when hurricane joaquin was a threat this year, this board was still dead for the most part. And that was with some models showing a sandy-esque repeat. There really wasn't much discussion of it at all and honestly, the NY thread was one of the more informative threads on the storm. That really changed my opinion on merging. I think it would work and during storms like that, I think having the two forums together would only add to the quality of discussion. Sure there will be some banter and add-nothing posts but if the mods over there are serious about cutting that crap out, then I think a merge would only better serve the discussion. There are some good posters in that sub forum and this one is certainly lacking red taggers. I just think a merge would be good for everyone on big threats, and we can keep our own thread over there for local discussion. It's at least worth a try.

i use to be adamantly against a merge as there was so much banter in the nyc threads and i would get the same amount of information in one page here compared to wading through 7 pages of fluff in nyc threads. But now i would say yes. Maybe it's because I moved to New Jersey, but this place is pretty desolate. There's just zero discussion here and I don't even bother to post most of the time because it's pointless. we have a nice crew here but there is no more quality posts here. then again i don't really care enough to have a strong opinion either way. it's a weather forum with no bearing on my life.

basically these two sum up my thoughts. i think we desperately need more activity and combining forces would really add to the discussion, not subtract as long as the mods limit the banter in those discussion threads as I've seen has been done.

Because this -

I don't deny that small group are advanced meteorologists/scientists. I think that is part of the reason that particular forum is more geared towards red-taggers whereas americanwx seems more geared toward everyone including folks with little to no understanding of basic meteo.

Almost 37 years ago I had to make a decision during college orientation on whether to major in meteo (a love since I was 8) and chemistry (something I was aceing in HS). And due to the mimimal job prospects back in the late '70s for meteorologists, I chose chemistry as the practical major because it offered more work options.  I am on track to retire next year after 30+ years.

Coming to boards like this, I got direct or link access to all sorts of resources - including models and working meteorologists - allowing me to digest someone's analysis - whether red-tagger or meteo student or "advanced" hobbyist, and then do a check on what I thought I saw and compare - just by reading

Part of the problem that happens here is that the minute someone makes an attempt at a model analysis and gets it "wrong", a pile-on ensues, the degree of which dependent on how bold and perhaps (overly) confident they were when they wrote it.  And the "wrong" may have been something not really weenie but truly due to lack of experience, etc.  Of course this naturally requires thicker skin but sometimes it encourages big ego posters rather than those brave enough to post and hope for a mature critique.

So many of us just enjoy lurking and contributing obs or occassional opinions after review of model runs to help fill in the climatological info on the area -whether ahead, during, and post storm (or even during "quiet" periods) while we engage in our hobby.  Many of us also post on other forums (including non-meteo ones) so it's not like we are all here 24/7.   As it was during the eastern days, there are folks who are winter/cold-lovers and were thus absent during the summers and vice versa, with those who like severe/tropical and participate more during those seasons.

But if the Admins here want to close the board to red-taggers and students only, then so be it.  In the past, the single-region threads often filled up quickly during storms and there was a battle on who would start (and when) the "new thread"... as well as other nonsense of chasing people out of the regional threads who were not from there and other childish bull****. 

Otherwise some of you all protesteth too much.

Because this -

Almost 37 years ago I had to make a decision during college orientation on whether to major in meteo (a love since I was 8) and chemistry (something I was aceing in HS). And due to the mimimal job prospects back in the late '70s for meteorologists, I chose chemistry as the practical major because it offered more work options.  I am on track to retire next year after 30+ years.

Coming to boards like this, I got direct or link access to all sorts of resources - including models and working meteorologists - allowing me to digest someone's analysis - whether red-tagger or meteo student or "advanced" hobbyist, and then do a check on what I thought I saw and compare - just by reading

Part of the problem that happens here is that the minute someone makes an attempt at a model analysis and gets it "wrong", a pile-on ensues, the degree of which dependent on how bold and perhaps (overly) confident they were when they wrote it.  And the "wrong" may have been something not really weenie but truly due to lack of experience, etc.  Of course this naturally requires thicker skin but sometimes it encourages big ego posters rather than those brave enough to post and hope for a mature critique.

So many of us just enjoy lurking and contributing obs or occassional opinions after review of model runs to help fill in the climatological info on the area -whether ahead, during, and post storm (or even during "quiet" periods) while we engage in our hobby.  Many of us also post on other forums (including non-meteo ones) so it's not like we are all here 24/7.   As it was during the eastern days, there are folks who are winter/cold-lovers and were thus absent during the summers and vice versa, with those who like severe/tropical and participate more during those seasons.

But if the Admins here want to close the board to red-taggers and students only, then so be it.  In the past, the single-region threads often filled up quickly during storms and there was a battle on who would start (and when) the "new thread"... as well as other nonsense of chasing people out of the regional threads who were not from there and other childish bull****. 

Otherwise some of you all protesteth too much.

I agree with this entirely. I was also in the same boat as Agnes but choose Engineering instead of Chemistry. Americanwx is unique because it has a broad audience. I feel like the NYC forum is completely unapproachable to the noobie because of all of the politics. 

I agree with this entirely. I was also in the same boat as Agnes but choose Engineering instead of Chemistry. Americanwx is unique because it has a broad audience. I feel like the NYC forum is completely unapproachable to the noobie because of all of the politics.

We have a politics section so this keeps the "politics" out of the NYC forum