joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 25-29th Storm Disco Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Total of 2.5" of sleet here along with a light glaze.  Even though I was complaining earlier about the cold rain, this storm had some interesting aspects that don't make it a total waste.  Can recall very few times where I had sleet that flipped to a significant amount of rain (usually has been sleet to light rain, or it flipped the other way -- rain to sleet to snow).  The sleet aspect snuck up at the last minute here as it originally looked like the warm layer would be too robust to support anything more than a brief period of sleet. 

Ran for some groceries and it's such a slushy mess...standing water everywhere.  Parking lot actually had several inches of slushy water across the entire lot.

Things have subsided here. About 2.5-3" of slush. Complete downpour of rain near the end has really flooded the streets with the sewers being trapped with slush.

Driving was terrible with ice and slush and water all over. Shoveling this is horrible as well - very, very heavy.

Sounds very similar to here.

Chitown Storm, how much are you thinking for the MSP area? I'm over in Excelcior, MN. Seems like we are good for a solid 6-8" by tomorrow afternoon but it's been painful waiting on this WAA band to get here.

Sent from my iPhone

Western metro is going to get the lower end of that total it appears. East and south of there will get 6-10". That band is absolutely crawling north. Ugh.

Power was out for over 2hrs.  Went out right as conditions started improving.  

Picked up a good 1/4" glaze before it got warm enough for the glaze to cease, and most of it already melted off the trees.  Probably 1/3" of sleet.  Quite a bit of regular rain the last 3hrs or so, but recently changed back to all sleet.

Archived