Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 28-30th Storm Obs Thread

dryslot

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm beginning to wonder if a very serious short-duration ice-storm is about to unfold for a narrow band perhaps ALB-BED Mass... Mohawk Trail .75" accre... 

NWS for Boston doesn't sound like they understand the climo for this geographical region when there is nascent polar high advecting deeply depressed, sub-freezing DPs ... situated normal to a w-e translating/attenuating low-pressure suppressed (S of confluence-forcing).  

It will NOT warm above freezing but WHERE!?  UGH  not entirely certain but the lowest critical thickness depth is going to be raging in an ageostrophic battle that weakening jet fields aloft have no prayer at stopping.   just not going to happen - sorry, and if that liquid line gets N of HFD-PVD in my mind ...say between the Pike and Rt 2, that band's likely to be pounded by ZR

I'm beginning to wonder if a very serious short-duration ice-storm is about to unfold for a narrow band perhaps ALB-BED Mass... Mohawk Trail .75" accre... 

NWS for Boston doesn't sound like they understand the climo for this geographical region when there is nascent polar high advecting deeply depressed, sub-freezing DPs ... situated normal to a w-e translating/attenuating low-pressure suppressed (S of confluence-forcing).  

It will NOT warm above freezing but WHERE!?  UGH  not entirely certain but the lowest critical thickness depth is going to be raging in an ageostrophic battle that weakening jet fields aloft have no prayer at stopping.   just not going to happen - sorry, and if that liquid line gets N of HFD-PVD in my mind ...say between the Pike and Rt 2, that band's likely to be pounded by ZR

Christ, great.....potentially a very rare ice storm here.

Had 11° at 6:45, stupidly forgot to reset the indexes to offset last evening's 28; doubt we get past 25 this afternoon.  Dec low is 7, on the 1st.  2006, with a low of 6, is my only previous month here without going subzero.  That 7 is 1° above my low on Nov 30 - would be odd for Novie to have gotten colder than Dec, though it may get cold enough tonight before the clouds roll in to prevent that from happening.  Nice hard coating on the ground, ready to receive some pow.

Holding in the teens today under sunny skies.  Feels like winter.  A nice half inch coating on the grass and trees in the village and an inch at the mountain.  Stepping outside with some white on the ground and temps in the teens under mid-day sunshine feels really wintery this season, haha.

Looking forward to having the grass covered up tomorrow.

Archived