SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Late December miracle early next week!?

ineedsnow

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh. It's already 5.5 hrs from me and the thought of another hour doesn't sit too well. Surprised to hear about downsloping as it sits just over 1000'. And I thought all I needed to do was to get north of 40 and always snows! I'm gonna wait until tomorrow's runs before making a final decision. Thanks all for your thoughts.

Pittsfield MA could possibly pull off 4-5 if everything goes right but 10 seems a very low probability and 3 inches seems more reasonable given how far west they are.

Western Mass can thump just as hard as anyone else in this situation, northern Berks into the southern Greens definitely a 3-6/4-8" type look. Sometimes they can do really well with good QPF on a SW upslope flow into the hills out of the Hudson Valley.

Meh. It's already 5.5 hrs from me and the thought of another hour doesn't sit too well. Surprised to hear about downsloping as it sits just over 1000'. And I thought all I needed to do was to get north of 40 and always snows! I'm gonna wait until tomorrow's runs before making a final decision. Thanks all for your thoughts.

It's not that it downslopes but you'd want to be east of the crest to hold the cold. I bet the east slopes of the Greens down in SVT like Mt Snow/Wilmington at 1,700ft will do quite well.

Gfs gives them 10". What about the euro?

You're really going to chase this crappy SW Flow event that is a disaster of mid-level warmth and will be 75% sleet/ice?

Is this just because it's XMAS break? If so, I get it. If not, why don't you save your snow chase for a better storm? Given the El Nino, I expect a real stemwinder. Even if it cuts, you could feel its effect chasing in Canada where there is deep snowpack and a wintry atmosphere.

I would think you'd be better off with a steonger storm later in the season when there is ample snow cover, but what do I know?

You're really going to chase this crappy SW Flow event that is a disaster of mid-level warmth and will be 75% sleet/ice?

Is this just because it's XMAS break? If so, I get it. If not, why don't you save your snow chase for a better storm? Given the El Nino, I expect

I would love to be in Dendrites shoes. It's not all sleet for many either. Hunchie and MPM could score 8-10

I thought Pittsfield averages about as much snow as ORH and NE Mass...downsloping shouldn't screw them too much.  An easterly flow downslope issue makes more sense for them there, like the northern Hudson Valley.  

Those relative downslope areas there downslope in every direction. They just get screwed different ways

Is this just because it's XMAS break? If so, I get it. If not, why don't you save your snow chase for a better storm? Given the El Nino, I expect a real stemwinde r. Even if it cuts, you could feel its effect chasing in Canada where there is ,7

Well, my wife and I took off next week so it's either north to chase or OC, MD then Williamsburg. Either way, I'm going somewhere.

I'm getting out sometime Monday. Feeling kind of cool if not cold especially today. These bones have acclimated to warm and humid. Last three days at "home" have been mid 80's with the dews not dropping below 65F. Getting out Monday just about guarentees a good 3-6" in Greater Boston metro 36 hours of departure. 

Not feeling too confident. I like warning snows berks n orh country and into NNE. Concerned about warming temps at or around 700mb as per euro. Obviously many start as snow but that just screams bad snow growth. Might hurt the WAA thump and lead to a good sleet smashing vs. snow. Colder low levels but somewhat toasty mid levels.

I don't see anything much to change my thinking here. Advisories along and south of the Pike. Warning snows possibly along the NH/MA border. I'd like 2-4" BOS. 3-5" here in Andover. Probably spot 6-7" somewhere in S NH. 

Archived