Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2016 Pattern Disco

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a split flow on the eps map shown by Kevin and while not cold, beware of sneaky cold and potentially well timed events. Nothing at all like the current ridiculous warmth.

Right, it's not cold or torch..But it is an AN pattern ..If we time storms right ..like the one Monday night/Tuesday we can still get wintry precip. But it's not a pattern that will sustain snow OTG or cold

Right, it's not cold or torch..But it is an AN pattern ..If we time storms right ..like the one Monday night/Tuesday we can still get wintry precip., But it's not a pattern that will sustain snow OTG or cold

It's a step in the right direction. Snow retention is so last winter...

I don't think Kevin's map looked bad at all.  Room for the PNA to amplify as that low is far enough west.  Snow retention would be fine up here and that map would provide lots of opportunities.  LC quite enthusiastic it seems.  Also, I saw this period as a step down, not a 60 day period of unremitting cold and snow.

Right, it's not cold or torch..But it is an AN pattern ..If we time storms right ..like the one Monday night/Tuesday we can still get wintry precip. But it's not a pattern that will sustain snow OTG or cold

Of course, that's an (understandable) SNE viewpoint.  The period Jan-Feb 2008 ran +3 around here but it featured nearly 70" snowfall and huge snowpack. - and that winter showed the strongest latitudinal gradient of any of Will's snowfall maps.  ;)

If that happens and it now appears likely, those forecasts of mid and late Jan pattern change to cold are in deep deep trouble . Then we are left with 28 days in Feb to hope we salvage a bit of winter

I had cold and tumble weeds to show for it last January until the 24th. Who cares if it's +3 if it means a good storm or two. It likely may not be a snowpack winter for you, but the hope is to try and take advantage of the storms we have...which hopefully will be more than normal..even if it means ptype issues.

I had cold and tumble weeds to show for it last January until the 24th. Who cares if it's +3 if it means a good storm or two. It likely may not be a snowpack winter for you, but the hope is to try and take advantage of the storms we have...which hopefully will be more than normal..even if it means ptype issues.

Oh I know. This is not a winter for mine and Will's pack fetish. This is the winter of snow to ice to rain and you hope it's a net gain. Then we torch for 3-4 days and maybe a repeat or 2 of that ensue. Even Feb as some think is not going to be overly snowy. Just a few threats , cold for a few days, torch then another storm

Oh I know. This is not a winter for mine and Will's pack fetish. This is the winter of snow to ice to rain and you hope it's a net gain. Then we torch for 3-4 days and maybe a repeat or 2 of that ensue. Even Feb as some think is not going to be overly snowy. Just a few threats , cold for a few days, torch then another storm

I didn't imply any of that. It could be a cold Feb...but all I said is that I wouldn't expect 2015 to walk through that door. I didn't say every storm is snow to rain. :lol:

look for the transient blocks to again rear their heads, beginning of the end for super PV, long long way to go.

meh...you guys can always get lucky...but I haven't seen much that says favorable or better than average pattern-wise.

Obviously we're moderating and it's not as bad as the torch december, but that doesn't mean good, either.

meh...you guys can always get lucky...but I haven't seen much that says favorable or better than average pattern-wise.

Obviously we're moderating and it's not as bad as the torch december, but that doesn't mean good, either.

We should have a forecast-your-thoughts-for-the-rest-of-the-season thread...just to finalize where people think we are headed in terms of temp departures and snowfall.

Archived