• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Your favorite snow event

DopplerWx

2/18/1979 - PD1 - Sat in my dorm room in Salisbury, NC with my NOAA radio listening to OBS.   We had a WSW but it was generally underforcasted, especially the temps which were 10-12 degrees during height of storm, almost unheard of.  Very, very strong CAD preceding the storm and I was amazed the storm was not squashed.  It was a great winter overall, one most of you all were not around for.

I've only lived in NC for ten years. Florida transplant (sorry, but I try to be polite and drive sanely). Never saw snow till my first winter up here. My favorite was the day we got the big snow on Christmas in Durham, 2010 I think? Sadly those first five years or so made me think I could EXPECT a consistent winter up here, heh.

(Needless to say, that last statement clarifies why I'm just a lurker.)

My two recent favorite is December 18, 2009! Was an awsome storm. We ended up with like 18 inches of snow and it snowed that Saturday night also so we almost had 2 feet by Sunday evening. My second one was Christmas weekend 2010. I remember we had like 15 inches or something just from the storm on Christmas day then when the low wound up the East coast we had one heck of an upslope snow event and some of the biggest snow flakes iv ever seen. By Monday morning we had just a little over 2 feet in my front yard. Was an awsome memory.

From a pure enjoyment standpoint, probably December 24-25, 1989 (living near Greenville) was the best for me. Still young enough to really get out and enjoy it before I got too teenage-angsty, trying to make an igloo and an ice skating rink, and sledding with friends :D  December 26, 2010 was also a great storm - we got bullseyed in Wilson and it was just a wonderful storm (and like DopplerWx said, insane to watch the lead-up to it on the forum.  I got NO work done that week).  I was a little young for March 3, 1980 but I do have vague memories of it - and a few great pictures.  My dad says he figures he'll never see another storm like that, with the thundersnow/blizzard conditions and crazy amounts for our area (we lived just west of Greenville at that time).  

From a pure enjoyment standpoint, probably December 24-25, 1989 (living near Greenville) was the best for me. Still young enough to really get out and enjoy it before I got too teenage-angsty, trying to make an igloo and an ice skating rink, and sledding with friends :D  December 26, 2010 was also a great storm - we got bullseyed in Wilson and it was just a wonderful storm (and like DopplerWx said, insane to watch the lead-up to it on the forum.  I got NO work done that week).  I was a little young for March 3, 1980 but I do have vague memories of it - and a few great pictures.  My dad says he figures he'll never see another storm like that, with the thundersnow/blizzard conditions and crazy amounts for our area (we lived just west of Greenville at that time).  

This was my first snow.  No memory of it since I was 1-month-old.  :)  NYC, Dec, 1947

large.jpg

2/18/1979 - PD1 - Sat in my dorm room in Salisbury, NC with my NOAA radio listening to OBS.   We had a WSW but it was generally underforcasted, especially the temps which were 10-12 degrees during height of storm, almost unheard of.  Very, very strong CAD preceding the storm and I was amazed the storm was not squashed.  It was a great winter overall, one most of you all were not around for.

I grew up in MD and this was the first big snow I remembered.  I think the mayor decided not to do any plowing so the 5 ft drift stuck around in the middle of our street for at least a week.  Remember walking to the sliding glass door and my little brother saying the snow was taller than he was.

There was a Feb 1983 storm which dumped 2 ft on us which was the first time I experienced thundersnow - very memorable.

In NC, favorite storms were Carolina crusher and Jan 1996 where everything was a sheet of ice, followed by Christmas 2010 storm.

January 1987 or 88 (can't recall which, there were good storms both years) near Spartanburg, about 12" of the most beautiful sparkling dry powder.  Fell pretty fast.  Wasn't very good for making snowballs but you could toss it into the air by the handful and it was like throwing handfuls of glitter.  I think it was actually the dryest snow I've ever personally seen, and I've seen snow everywhere except the Great Lakes / upper NEast and far upper NWest sections of the US.

January 2011 in north GA.  9" of very heavy wet snow with a layer of ice underneath (presumably the earliest flakes melted and instantly refroze, but it was a really thick layer of ice and took quite a long time to melt).  We sledded for 4 days that week, which isn't something you get to say around here too often.  I guess that one's high on my list simply because it's so rare here to have that much and for it to last much of a week, as usually we have next-day melt-off.  The snow itself wasn't anything spectacular as quality of snow goes.

Archived