Newest Member
    SnowHabit
LaNina

jaxjagman

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/8/2016 at 2:35 PM, nrgjeff said:

NOAA punted the La Nina watch but cool water still lingers beneath. I still favor the slight Nina side of neutral, even if no true weak Nina. Looking to the North Pacific for my main signal. While the PDO is not as positive, the number is driven by more uniform temps in the North Pac. One chart is worth a thousand numbers, and the chart depicts a warm North Pac. Should be a cool signal for the region if we can get rid of the stubborn SER.

Long as we have a SER, and Plains troughs, some Midwest severe would be nice. 1-2 days to the Midwest is easier than a 5-day Plains project, lol!

Slight tick upwards last update.Early Sept. plumes never updated,but mid month did

International Research Institute for Climate and Society   2016 September Quick Look.png

On 10/17/2016 at 0:22 PM, Carvers Gap said:

I thought so.  You may yet get your Nina!   Now...that is very, very interesting news in regards to this winter.  Would look to be a weak La Niña.  Agree?

Not sure.3.4 has been rising again and by the looks could possibly rise some more the next few days.The SOI after 8 consecutive days in the negative  is now back positive,more Ninaish state

https://www.longpaddock.qld.gov.au/seasonalclimateoutlook/southernoscillationindex/30daysoivalues/

sstanim.gif

Hovmollers   Michael J. Ventrice  Ph.D..png

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

JB stated on WxBell that the Euro seasonal forecast has no Nina and potentially headed towards another Nino.  I saw the graphics.  Just a few pockets (relative to the Pacific Ocean size) of -0.5C.  

Yeah,the Euro has seemed to have been backing off since spring

12 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

JB should check a pressure chart or OLR once in a while. ATMO is in Nina mode.

Note I'm not calling it La Nina, just describing the state of the ATMO.

Just relaying the info.  Thought it was interesting.  He thought it was unusual within the context of other models and current observations.  Most other seasonal models have it.  They have rolled with Nina climo for their own forecasts I think.  Seemed to give him a moment of pause to see such a strong model potentially leave out/weaken that aspect,  JB has some good ideas at times.  Though, with any pay site I realize some of the info is just used to drive users to the site.  I am all for a weak Nina or Nino.  La Nada or a strong ENSO phase either way...and seems like no dice here.  To me, seems like E TN has been in a Nina pattern since May.  This hot, dry weather seems to be evidence of that cooling.  Most of us thought a hot, dry summer would occur...and it is still here.  Whether we get to a Nina officially, it has seemed very much that.  Though some Ninas(maybe the stronger ones?) can be rainy I think.  Will be interesting to see if indeed a cold start to winter will result.  To me that would be the final nail in at least providing downstream results of a Nina.  I wonder if because the Nino was so strong that even cooling back to normal is creating a Nina-ish state?  

Archived