Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
LaNina

jaxjagman

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I tend to cringe when I hear La Nina, mainly because of the infamous hot, dry summer we had during the "moderate" one in 2007.  That was the worst drought I've experienced since moving to Tennessee in 2003.  I lost several large pine trees in the yard that year, and even if that hadn't happened, drought is my LEAST favorite weather event.  Heck, it's boring.

I'm sure there were other drivers to the southeast drought that year besides La Nina, but starting that year, I associated hot, dry summers with La Nina.  Give me La Nada. 

I tend to cringe when I hear La Nina, mainly because of the infamous hot, dry summer we had during the "moderate" one in 2007.  That was the worst drought I've experienced since moving to Tennessee in 2003.  I lost several large pine trees in the yard that year, and even if that hadn't happened, drought is my LEAST favorite weather event.  Heck, it's boring.

I'm sure there were other drivers to the southeast drought that year besides La Nina, but starting that year, I associated hot, dry summers with La Nina.  Give me La Nada. 

The good news on that scenario....we were in an extended dry period from 2005 to 2007...it was a culmination of 3 years of severe drought....We are not in such a state right now. It may well be a hot summer but at least we should not be that dry yet. 

The good news on that scenario....we were in an extended dry period from 2005 to 2007...it was a culmination of 3 years of severe drought....We are not in such a state right now. It may well be a hot summer but at least we should not be that dry yet. 

True.  It was a dry several years before 2007.  2007 was a particularly bad year for plants and trees.  The winter was warm, and March saw a dry blowtorch develop in our region.  Temps soared in the 80's by late March.  By month's end, trees were almost fully leafed out.  Even the Oak trees, which are usually last to get their leaves, were green by early April.  Then we had a cold outbreak that killed everything.  Lows dropped deep into the 20's several nights in a row.  By the time the cold moved out, everything was black--the vegetation cooked by the cold. It was the ugliest spring ever.  It took weeks for the trees to recover, and some never did.  Follow up that with a very hot, dry summer, and many older trees succumbed to the harshness of the weather.

Would not ever like to see similar conditions to 2007. Thankfully, by 2008 the dryness relaxed and the wet year of 2009 ended the exceptional drought for good.

True.  It was a dry several years before 2007.  2007 was a particularly bad year for plants and trees.  The winter was warm, and March saw a dry blowtorch develop in our region.  Temps soared in the 80's by late March.  By month's end, trees were almost fully leafed out.  Even the Oak trees, which are usually last to get their leaves, were green by early April.  Then we had a cold outbreak that killed everything.  Lows dropped deep into the 20's several nights in a row.  By the time the cold moved out, everything was black--the vegetation cooked by the cold. It was the ugliest spring ever.  It took weeks for the trees to recover, and some never did.  Follow up that with a very hot, dry summer, and many older trees succumbed to the harshness of the weather.

Would not ever like to see similar conditions to 2007. Thankfully, by 2008 the dryness relaxed and the wet year of 2009 ended the exceptional drought for good.

Actually CFS has been trending a drought for Spring-Summer for all of Dixie Alley, including TN.

Actually CFS has been trending a drought for Spring-Summer for all of Dixie Alley, including TN.

Weather is cyclical, and we haven't had a long term drought here in parts of the Tennessee Valley since 2005-07.  So, we may be due for dry times at some point.

But at least this winter has been (and will probably continue to be) wet, unlike 2007.  That winter was exceptionally dry, and led into a dry spring and summer.  So if it does turn dry at some point, at least we started the growing season with adequate soil moisture.   

• 2 weeks later...

Archived