Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Ice Storm of the Ages

nchighcountrywx

http://climate.ncsu.edu/climateblog?id=168

This post is part of our year-long series about North Carolina's weather extremes.

9670uGx.png

Although this storm was not as severe as the December 24-25, 2009 Major ICE Storm along the NW NC Blue Ridge, the December 2002 storm in central NC caused more monetary damage and affected far more people.

Here is the separate event, the December 24-25 2009 Ice Storm along the NC Blue Ridge Escarpment that came on the heels of the major 20" snow just a week earlier.

wow, Cad must of under performed

I don't remember specifics like how strong the high was or where it was positioned, but yeah, was setting up to be pretty bad but my location (at the time) in South Forsyth never had any icing, and I remember the thermometer sitting at 32.5 for the longest time. So, just missed a possible disaster. Was pissed at the time but later realized it probably was a good thing. Can anyone post the sfc maps for this storm if they have them? I know looking at obs on wunderground it appears Gainesville and Athens were 31/32 for a short while.

Over 1.5 Ice accrual with temps in low 20's the whole storm. Knocked power out to my entire county 100%. Never forget it. We went over 7 days without power here. Hopefully i want see another Ice storm of this magnitude ever again Knock on wood!

I still have branches falling now and then that were damaged in that storm.  

One of the most unique and worst experiences ever. It looked and sounded like a war zone with the transformers exploding. I had no idea that we would be without power for a week. We had to sleep in the living room in front of the gas logs. Absolutely miserable! My wife still gets squirrelly anytime there's a chance of freezing rain. A once in a lifetime storm (I hope).

Archived