• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Grinch or White

Ginx snewx

Getting close to range where deets can be talked about. Euro weeklies have a definite period of lower heights this year, a better setup than we have seen the last few years. As we get closer we should be able to see if we can sneak in a miracle in the midst of hell. This was last years disaster.

gfs_t850a2_noram_2014122400.png

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year my family and I went to Sedona AZ for Christmas and it was warmer here than there, woke up christmas morning to the ground covered in white.

thats pretty awesome. My favorite was an early 80s Christmas Eve, 35 or so people down in the finished basement at Moms, oldest son maybe 4-6 at the time comes running down the stairs screaming its snowing , 35 plus people from Grandma to the littlest piled upstairs to every available window. It was a ULL that ended up dropping a couple of high ratio stuff, a magical moment for sure.

thats pretty awesome. My favorite was an early 80s Christmas Eve, 35 or so people down in the finished basement at Moms, oldest son maybe 4-6 at the time comes running down the stairs screaming its snowing , 35 plus people from Grandma to the littlest piled upstairs to every available window. It was a ULL that ended up dropping a couple of high ratio stuff, a magical moment for sure.

Yeah I had an experience like that in NC for Christmas 1999 with a surprise inch of snow on Christmas morning. Of course I think this one takes the cake:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/crp/?n=whitechristmas2004

lol I remember that well of course I remember a month later better

As do I. I scored 21 inches in the Carolina Crusher in Southern Pines, NC and lost power for three days.

Anyway as for this year up here I have to go with Grinch with this super nino in place.

As do I. I scored 21 inches in the Carolina Crusher in Southern Pines, NC and lost power for three days.

Anyway as for this year up here I have to go with Grinch with this super nino in place.

I remember the date now, well checked my handwritten records. The week before Christmas it was 63 degrees in 1983, it snowed then melted on the 22nd,warmed to 48 then Christmas eve we had 2.25 of snow followed by still the coldest Christmas day in my life. Winds were sustained 40s gusts to 55 with temp low 10s dropping all day to zero and below with no letup in wind.

Christmas Day 2002 is the standard for me. That was a fun day.

Me too...we got two feet on Xmas that year. The storm peaked in the late afternoon and evening with a band of 3-5" per hour. The NY State Thruway was shut down near Albany.

This was the band I remember...just incredible snow rates, up there for me with the band during Valentines Day 2007.

The most intense snow band cranked snow out at five to six inches per hour during the late afternoon and evening over the Catskills and Mohawk valley.  That band of blinding snow pivoted through the Capital Region during the evening and eventually ended up in western New England between 8:00 and 10:00pm in a somewhat weakened form.

For ALB it crushed the December 25th daily record, with 19.2" falling during the calendar day (and a few inches falling after midnight on the 26th), breaking the 11" record from 1978.

2002-12sum-Dec25Snow.jpg

Looks like the I-88 corridor and those higher elevations southwest of Albany got pounded with 24-32" of snowfall.

My aunt and uncle drove from Albany to our place near NYC that day. The trip, which normally takes a bit more than 2 hours, was 6 hours. They expected the storm to change to rain south of Poughkeepsie, but it pounded snow the whole trip as we had a fast changeover. We got 11", and they couldn't get the car up our hill, had to park at the bottom.

My uncle poured himself a triple shot of vodka after finishing that crazy drive and trudging up a 300' hill in boots to our house.

It will be a white Christmas (somewhere). Actually, why not call one for us? EC snowstorm in the 22nd-24th range with significant amounts right to the coast. On the ground on Christmas with temps in the 30'sF (inland, at least) before another mild up then some changes come January (nothing all that cold, but not QUITE as warm)

I remember the date now, well checked my handwritten records. The week before Christmas it was 63 degrees in 1983, it snowed then melted on the 22nd,warmed to 48 then Christmas eve we had 2.25 of snow followed by still the coldest Christmas day in my life. Winds were sustained 40s gusts to 55 with temp low 10s dropping all day to zero and below with no letup in wind.

Colder (and windier) than 1980?  On 12/25/1980, Boston had a low of -7 and an afternoon high about zero (and cheap 12:01 max of 35.)  Farther north, I had an afternoon high of -16 in Ft. Kent with winds gusting into the 40s, and 1st CT Lake recorded -24/-32 (26th, with 7A obs), coldest non-MWN max I'd seen in New England, since tied on Mt. Mansfield, 1/15/2004.  Boston's low on 12/25/1983 was zero.  In that 1980 cold blast, only serendipity kept 10 people from freezing to death on a back road between Ft. Kent and Frenchville.

Christmas 2002 remains as perhaps the sharpest precip cutoff loss since moving to my present location.  Forecast was 8-12, we got 1".  About 10 miles SE in Belgrade Village there was 8", and 20 miles farther SE in AUG it was 15".  

And I'd vote for another Grinch, but one cannot steal Christmas if there's no presents, can't Grinch winter if there's no winter (yet.)

Colder (and windier) than 1980?  On 12/25/1980, Boston had a low of -7 and an afternoon high about zero (and cheap 12:01 max of 35.)  Farther north, I had an afternoon high of -16 in Ft. Kent with winds gusting into the 40s, and 1st CT Lake recorded -24/-32 (26th, with 7A obs), coldest non-MWN max I'd seen in New England, since tied on Mt. Mansfield, 1/15/2004.  Boston's low on 12/25/1983 was zero.  In that 1980 cold blast, only serendipity kept 10 people from freezing to death on a back road between Ft. Kent and Frenchville.

Christmas 2002 remains as perhaps the sharpest precip cutoff loss since moving to my present location.  Forecast was 8-12, we got 1".  About 10 miles SE in Belgrade Village there was 8", and 20 miles farther SE in AUG it was 15".  

And I'd vote for another Grinch, but one cannot steal Christmas if there's no presents, can't Grinch winter if there's no winter (yet.)

Yeah my subjective opinion on what a "Grinch" Christmas was is when we had good snowpack and then an ugly cutter that tries to take it away...some years we survived (2007, 2008, etc)...other years we did not (1996, 2003, etc).

Yeah my subjective opinion on what a "Grinch" Christmas was is when we had good snowpack and then an ugly cutter that tries to take it away...some years we survived (2007, 2008, etc)...other years we did not (1996, 2003, etc).

For BOS

12/25 (12/24 is nearly identical)

Snow Depth
Maximum	Average	Minimum	             Percent of Years
                     >=1 inches >=3 inches >=6 inches >=12 inches
  11	  0.9	   0	 23%	    15%	        6%	    0

12/23

Snow Depth
                      >=1 inch	>=3 inches >=6 inches >=12 inches
  12	  0.9	   0	 29%	     11%	 4%	    2%

12/26

Snow Depth
  12	  1.2	   0	 29%	     18%	 6%	    1%

It's amazing how the statistics jump on either side of the holiday.

For BOS

12/25 (12/24 is nearly identical)

Snow Depth
                     >=1 inches >=3 inches >=6 inches >=12 inches
  11	  0.9	   0	 23%	    15%	        6%	    0

12/23

Snow Depth
  12	  0.9	   0	 29%	     11%	 4%	    2%

12/26

Snow Depth
  12	  1.2	   0	 29%	     18%	 6%	    1%

It's amazing how the statistics jump on either side of the holiday.

lol oh how we know the Grinch is real 

You're a foul one, Mr. Grinch,

You're a nasty wasty skunk,

Your heart is full of unwashed socks, your soul is full of gunk, Mr. Grinch,

The three words that best describe you are as follows, and I quote,

"Stink, stank, stunk"!

Archived