• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
USCAPEWEATHERAF

I wanted to create a thread that could compare the two monster blizzards that have struck Cape Cod in the last ten years.  From 2005 to 2015 winters in these two years has brought Cape Cod travel to its knees.  I remember both of them vividly.  Both winter storms appeared in the 7-10 day range while losing them between days 3-7 while bringing them back within 48 hours.  Models have poorly figured into these two beasts final accumulation totals.  Below are attached two photos, both of the two blizzards at their most intense moments.  While the January 2015 blizzard is much more matured at its most intense pressure moment, the January 2005 Blizzard developed an eye like feature as well at this moment depicted in the image below.  While the two blizzards developed differently, the results were very much similar.  They both passed over the 40n/70w benchmark and they at their most intense sub 980mb at that time.  Winds were both fierce in the two blizzards with gusts over 78mph in the 2015 blizzard while gusts over ACK were 86mph in the 2005 Blizzard.  The 2015 blizzard dove much further southeast into a position over the Outer Banks at H5 while the 2005 Blizzard dove as far south as Chicago, IL.  One was more amped than the other, but not by much.  The 2005 Blizzard had a much stronger deformation band and stronger end of the storm mode.  Both storms had a duration of 24 hours, while the NAO remained positive in both events.  The PNA was positive in both events, while the AO was negative providing the very cold air in both events.  Temperatures failed to reach 32F in both events as storms that pass over the benchmark producing their own cold air mass normally do not warm the surface layer over the Cape and Islands unless you live on the island of Nantucket, MA.  The Blizzard of 2005 brought more snow to ACK than the 2015 Blizzard, likely due to the presence of a strong warm front in the vicinity of ACK.  Models poorly handled the westward progression of both systems as local network meteorologists forecasted a changeover to rain for areas east of Hyannis, the NWS did a better job with the 2005 Blizzard forecasts while they pooped on the Cape Cod forecasts for the Blizzard of 2015.  With their initial amounts forecasted for the 2015 blizzard was 4-6" at CHH, we ended up with 30" of snow.  The Blizzard of 2005 produced more snowfall at Harwich, MA then the 2015 Blizzard, but they both belong on my wall of fame for the strongest winter storms ever to hit Cape Cod, MA, especially for the Outer Cape Cod.  I will have more on my personal experiences later on in the replies.

post-5993-0-83607000-1449173538_thumb.gi

post-5993-0-69247300-1449173593_thumb.gi

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What?

He is saying the imagery now is more resolute which may make it look more impressive, but still...I think in THAT actual shot...Jan 2015 looks more impressive.  Both storms had very pronounced deformation bands too. I thought this past Jan 2015 matured quicker as far as that goes. 

He is saying the imagery now is more resolute which may make it look more impressive, but still...I think in THAT actual shot...Jan 2015 looks more impressive.  Both storms had very pronounced deformation bands too. I thought this past Jan 2015 matured quicker as far as that goes. 

That is what figured, but I agree with you.....that is not close.

Resolution does not account for that stark contrast.

That is what figured, but I agree with you.....that is not close.

Resolution does not account for that stark contrast.

They both developed those occluded "eyes" that mature cold core cyclones have. As far as wind goes, I think Jan 2015 was just a hair less impressive overall....but Jan 2015 really hammered to coast south of Boston in terms of flooding. That was really close to being '78 type damage if the storm maxed closer to high tide..or perhaps stalled for another cycle. 

They both developed those occluded "eyes" that mature cold core cyclones have. As far as wind goes, I think Jan 2015 was just a hair less impressive overall....but Jan 2015 really hammered to coast south of Boston in terms of flooding. That was really close to being '78 type damage if the storm maxed closer to high tide..or perhaps stalled for another cycle. 

Agreed.

Agreed.

Of course I had to work this blizzard, but 2005 had house shaking wind. Pretty impressive. 

It's always funny going from Andover to here at home. I left work late aftn on the 27th of January and there was some wind, but nothing to write home about..maybe 20-30 or so. Get back here, barely open car door and snow blowing everywhere...lol. 

Of course I had to work this blizzard, but 2005 had house shaking wind. Pretty impressive. 

It's always funny going from Andover to here at home. I left work late aftn on the 27th of January and there was some wind, but nothing to write home about..maybe 20-30 or so. Get back here, barely open car door and snow blowing everywhere...lol. 

Yea, this area is a pit for wind.

I was in Wareham for 2005, and we got somewhere between 26-29"..it was difficult to measure but the drifts were spectacular.

For 2015, I was in Acushnet and received around 22", but always felt like I was outside of the really heavy bands to the east and on the cape during the latter part of the storm.

Personally, I enjoyed the Feb 14/15 2015 storm a bit more.

Archived