• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter 2015-16 Part 1

klw

Awesome!  Looks like that downslopes from right to left on that camera view?  Seems like early on there's clouds streaming in from the right but they are dissipating on the left side of the screen. 

Quick question: How far away is that tree-line on your property?  Is that a quarter mile?

PF  thanks for the response.   I have never measured the tree line.  I just realized how easy it can be now that I have the drone.  It tells me on the monitor how far it is from the handheld so in the next day or two I can easily mark 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2.  I always estimate but now I can pinpoint specific landmarks.  As far as downslope my house faces SW.  I have attached an image of my property so you can clearly see what is west of me.  So this shot is facing north northwest.  Newfound Lake is about  mile to my west and 600 feet lower.  The only mountain range in the distance is the Cardigan Range which is about 2500 feet high with Cardigan Peak at 3150'.  The lens of the drone is  wide angle so makes the lake and Cardigan look further away than they really are.  Lebanon is 40 miles due west.  So the land rises from the Connecticut River up to the Cardigan range.  It's all downhill from there to Newfound Lake.  The land then rises on the east side of the lake up to my hill.  Just to the east of my house there is a higher ridge to 1900 feet which you can't see in this pic.  Then the elevations decrease down to the Pemigewasset River and Rt 93.  Too much information but basically downsloping would be too far to my west to make a difference and then the wind is upslope to me continuing east  up to the 1900 ridge.  Get all that???   Here's a picture that I took last week.  Camera is facing out one of those front windows.  I am fortunate to own most of the forest you see in this picture except the top part of the hill behind my house.

post-268-0-16136500-1453935590_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good info, Gene.  I would imagine there's at least some orographic response going from the CT River Valley to Cardigan Peak at over 3,000ft...moisture may be limited but that's still a decent amount of low level lift if air has to go from like 400ft in the CT River Valley to 3,000ft over the range.  However looking at it on the larger scale, NW flow wouldn't do too much there, but westerly flow squalls coming from Lake Ontario definitely probably get a little boost on a local scale there, provided they make it through the Adirondacks and Greens.  Looks like westerly flow is your best bet for meso-scale squalls.

It looks like things will pick up a bit here in NVT in terms of snowfall activity over the next few days – perhaps a chance to touch up the January snow totals and put something down atop the base before the month closes out:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

637 AM EST THU JAN 28 2016

.SYNOPSIS...

THE REGION WILL BE IN AN ACTIVE WEATHER PATTERN THROUGH THE WEEKEND. CLOUDS WILL INCREASE THIS MORNING FROM WEST TO EAST IN ADVANCE OF AN APPROACHING ALBERTA CLIPPER. SCATTERED LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS WILL DEVELOP THIS AFTERNOON, AND CONTINUE THROUGH FRIDAY. SNOWFALL TOTALS WILL BE A DUSTING TO TWO INCHES IN THE LOWER ELEVATIONS, AND TWO TO FOUR INCHES OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN, MAINLY IN THE NORTH. THERE WILL BE A BRIEF BREAK IN THE ACTION LATE FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY, THEN RENEWED CHANCES FOR SNOW SHOWERS SATURDAY INTO SUNDAY.

It looks like things will pick up a bit here in NVT in terms of snowfall activity over the next few days – perhaps a chance to touch up the January snow totals and put something down atop the base before the month closes out:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

637 AM EST THU JAN 28 2016

.SYNOPSIS...

THE REGION WILL BE IN AN ACTIVE WEATHER PATTERN THROUGH THE WEEKEND. CLOUDS WILL INCREASE THIS MORNING FROM WEST TO EAST IN ADVANCE OF AN APPROACHING ALBERTA CLIPPER. SCATTERED LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS WILL DEVELOP THIS AFTERNOON, AND CONTINUE THROUGH FRIDAY. SNOWFALL TOTALS WILL BE A DUSTING TO TWO INCHES IN THE LOWER ELEVATIONS, AND TWO TO FOUR INCHES OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN, MAINLY IN THE NORTH. THERE WILL BE A BRIEF BREAK IN THE ACTION LATE FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY, THEN RENEWED CHANCES FOR SNOW SHOWERS SATURDAY INTO SUNDAY.

We nickel, we dime?

T TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/...

AS OF 350 AM EST THURSDAY...A PERIOD OF LIGHT ACCUMULATING

UPSLOPE SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED FRIDAY INTO FRIDAY NIGHT. THE

COMBINATION OF A POTENT 5H TROF AND ASSOCIATED ENERGY WILL HELP TO

CREATE SNOW SHOWERS ON FRIDAY. THE BEST DEEP LAYER MOISTURE WILL

BE LOCATED OVER THE NORTHERN NY AND VT MOUNTAINS WITH A PERIOD OF

FAVORABLE UPSLOPE FLOW BEHIND SURFACE BOUNDARY ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON

AND NIGHT. THE FAST PROGRESSIVE PATTERN ALOFT...COMBINED WITH

LIMITED AVAILABLE MOISTURE WILL LIMIT SNOWFALL. THINKING GENERALLY

A DUSTING TO SEVERAL INCHES IN THE VALLEYS WITH 2 TO 6 INCHES

POSSIBLE IN THE MOUNTAINS WITH LOCALIZED UP TO 8 INCHES POSSIBLE