SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2015-16 Part 1

klw

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice snow squall in progress.  It's been going for half an hour.  Moderate to heavy snow vis 1/4 mile.  Usually around here a squall is very quick hitting but this has staying power.  We will see what the final snow total will be, looks to be about 1/2" so far.

Nice, there were a few good snow showers continuing in the Greens here a few hours ago.

Someone from the public posted a comment on a Stowe social media post that says, "How the heck do you get 4-8 inches from snow showers?  In Connecticut that's called a snowstorm not snow showers."  Cracked me up. 

LOL that is true and it is advisory level at that. I wish the froude were 0.25 :)

Mansfield Coop data tonight...

0.30" total liquid.... 3.0" snowfall.... Snow depth increased 7" from 17" to 24".

I went with 7" as upper mountain snowfall as a best guess since the stake was drifted a bit and I knew 9-10" was too high. Seeing the snow depth come up 7" gives me some confidence that was the right call.

It is deflating that we could miss the big one at the end of this week. That might trigger a meltdown lol. We all know it may warm up and go back to full blown ratter to start Feb.

I've already accepted the whiff at end of week. Call me negative but seems like the big ones, discussed days in advance have the best chance of failing. No data to back it up, just a gut feel.

The GFS is keeping hope alive this evening. Now we shall see what happens when the actual shortwave is sampled in the data. Of course the Euro still says no for this portion of New England.

After the screwing I got last year at this time from the euro, im do a little payback. So this better come nw, or else....

If I don't get hit either place, I'm going to lose it.

Today was the best skiing of the season. Bit chilly.

BTV's calling for 6-12" for the summits by Weds morning. Looks to be a good stretch of winter, after all.  If this verifies, wondering if a tour in the backcountry is possible after Weds.

Tonight
Snow showers. Low around -9. Wind chill values as low as -40. Windy, with a west wind 37 to 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Tuesday
Snow showers. High near 9. Wind chill values as low as -39. Very windy, with a west wind 39 to 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
Tuesday Night
Snow showers, mainly before 2am. Low around 0. Wind chill values as low as -20. Very windy, with a northwest wind 40 to 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Wednesday
A 30 percent chance of snow showers between 10am and noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 11. Wind chill values as low as -27. Windy, with a northwest wind 28 to 38 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Radar looks to be filling back in. Smuggs may pull in 10-12" Sunday night to Tues morning- 6-8" this morning, another 1-2" today, 1-2" tonight. Webcam shows light snow again now after a lull this afternoon. Seems like a Sunday-Weds Stretch of 18"+ is possible Bolton to Jay- being reasonably optimistic. 

The mountains must look worlds better than they did Friday- having passed on skiing Saturday as it was raining down low, but they accumulated an inch or two of paste up high then. Anything that hasn't seen much skier traffic (woods, mostly)  should be really primo come later this week if the forecast verifies. Everything should be pretty nice. Now, even if we hit the low end, should be good. But man it would be great to be within a few inches of 40 at the Mansfield stake.

Always amazing how quickly it turns. A week ago, then a 10" thick glacier covering the upper reaches. When it turns, it turns!

Mostly cloudy with some moderate wind picking up. 13F 

Some observations from today and thoughts going forward...

The upper stake was drifted in a bit at 9-10", but best I could tell from upper mountain on the Gondola was 7"...base stake was wind packed 3.5".  The next day or two should feature rather large differences between upper mountain and the base area.  Its a very orographic/mountain-driven snow that may be a bit heavier on the western side in the lower elevations (like Underhill and Jericho vs Stowe Village), but Mansfield's upper half will get into the thick of it.  Flow looks blocked due to a more northerly wind below summit level.  All that wind momentum builds up on the western side when the mountains act like a dam, and then once its released on the east side it rips hard.  You could even tell the difference today, between much larger flake size on the upper mountain as opposed to more wind-shattered flakes at the base (that were like needles at times).  It can alter the ways it accumulates.

Light snow and wind is strong here in the village...the dog was plastered arctic style after a very quick trip outside. 

More snow coming... 4-7" on the mountain in the last 24 hours (Smuggs with 6-8") and looks like another 6-8" is coming tomorrow into Wednesday.

Winter Weather Advisory's issued for the upslope region.

18JAN16A.jpg

18JAN16B.jpg

Thanks for the update PF, these localized advisories are always cool.  It should be fun to see where things stack up.

Event totals: 2.5” Snow/0.17” L.E.

Update from this evening’s observations – the winds in the valley have been nothing like what they were up at Stowe today, but I can still hear it howling out there up above us.  Flakes have been small today with slow accumulation, but there’s a bit more on the board now that I’ll have in tomorrow morning’s report.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 16.9 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 6.0 inches

It is looking even more likely this weekend will be a miss. The ratter rolls on. There won't be too many opportunities this year so it definitely stings.

Well silver lining- it's been snowing since Saturday on-off in the mountains. Smuggs is reporting 10-14" in the last 36 hours if I'm not mistaken, point and click shows another 5-11" for the notch area. Things are looking pretty amazing from here. And it's snowing in BTV at the moment.   

Well silver lining- it's been snowing since Saturday on-off in the mountains. Smuggs is reporting 10-14" in the last 36 hours if I'm not mistaken, point and click shows another 5-11" for the notch area. Things are looking pretty amazing from here. And it's snowing in BTV at the moment.   

Yeah I am happy the mountains are getting it. We are expecting about an inch today in the BTV area. I obviously would like a big one here but not in the cards at the moment. I am glad it is at least snowing a little though.

Event totals: 2.6” Snow/0.18” L.E.

I haven’t really found a way to separate the potential upslope snow that’s coming from the effects of the upper level low/inverted trough that affected the area.  It’s been snowing pretty consistently over the past day or so, even if very lightly, without an obvious break, and the BTV NWS hasn’t made any obvious distinctions – we currently just seem to be in the northwest flow on the back side of that system.  In any event my reports will have this as a single system.

For those monitoring snowfall in the area, I did reset the snowboard for the J&E Productions Live Web Cam at observations time this morning so that I’d be able to check on accumulations today.  I can see that the snowboard is starting to pick up a bit of accumulation, and snowfall has also picked up here in Burlington.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 7.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.0 inches

Archived