SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2015-16 Part 1

klw

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve tried to put together the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for this latest event using the 24/48-hour totals as available.  There’s quite a bit of variability out there from what I can see, with a bit of a snow hole in the central part of state, but totals topping out around a foot in the north:

Jay Peak: 12”

Burke: 4”

Smuggler’s Notch: 8”

Stowe: 12”

Bolton Valley: 6”

Mad River Glen: 2”

Sugarbush: 8”

Middlebury: 2”

Pico: 1”

Killington: 1”

Okemo: 1”

Bromley: 0”

Magic Mountain: 4”

Stratton: 4”

Mount Snow: 1”

I’ve tried to put together the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for this latest event using the 24/48-hour totals as available.  There’s quite a bit of variability out there from what I can see, with a bit of a snow hole in the central part of state, but totals topping out around a foot in the north:

Jay Peak: 12”

Burke: 4”

Smuggler’s Notch: 8”

Stowe: 12”

Bolton Valley: 6”

Mad River Glen: 2”

Sugarbush: 8”

Middlebury: 2”

Pico: 1”

Killington: 1”

Okemo: 1”

Bromley: 0”

Magic Mountain: 4”

Stratton: 4”

Mount Snow: 1”

Drool. I wish I lived in an area that racked up those totals from essentially show showers.

There should be a new discussion out soon with the latest thoughts!

Details below – looks like the first system would be generally snow at elevation, and the second one is likely warmer but the track and secondary development details still need to be worked out:

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...

AS OF 258 PM EST MONDAY...AN ACTIVE PERIOD OF WEATHER IS ANTICIPATED WITH TWO POTENTIAL STORMS IMPACTING OUR REGION. FIRST SYSTEM ARRIVES LATE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY...WITH ANOTHER POTENTIAL STRONGER SYSTEM WITH BETTER MOISTURE ON MONDAY INTO TUESDAY OF NEXT WEEK.

LARGE SCALE SYNOPTIC FEATURE SHOWS BUILDING HEIGHTS ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST CONUS WITH DEVELOPING MID/UPPER LEVEL TROF OVER THE WESTERN UNITED STATES. THIS SUPPORTS A GENERAL WARMING TREND WITH ABOVE NORMAL TEMPERATURES FROM THURSDAY INTO THE WEEKEND ASSOCIATED WITH DEVELOPING SOUTHWEST FLOW ALOFT. THIS FAST AND PROGRESSIVE FLOW ALOFT WILL HELP ADVECT OUR FIRST SYSTEM INTO OUR REGION LATE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY WITH A PERIOD OF PRECIPITATION. INITIALLY SOUNDINGS SUPPORT MOSTLY SNOW WITH PROGGED 925MB TO 850MB TEMPS AT OR BELOW 0C AND THE CRITICAL 1000 TO 500MB THICKNESS VALUE < 540. HOWEVER...AS SOUTHERLY FLOW CONTINUES TO STRENGTHEN WITH 850MB WINDS OF 40 TO 50 KNOTS PROGGED 850MB TEMPS WARM TO NEAR 0C WITH THICKNESS VALUES NEAR 540...SUPPORTING A MIX TO RAIN AND SNOW IN THE VALLEYS WITH MAINLY WET SNOW AT THE SUMMITS. THINKING OVERALL QPF WILL RANGE BETWEEN 0.25 AND 0.50 ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SYSTEM...AS SURFACE LOW PRES IS WEAK AND BEST MOISTURE QUICKLY LIFTS FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST ACROSS OUR FORECAST AREA. ALSO..THE DEEP LAYER FORCING IS WEAK ASSOCIATED WITH 5H VORT AND LIMITED THERMAL ADVECTION.

BEHIND FIRST SYSTEM FLOW WILL REMAIN FROM THE SOUTH/SOUTHWEST WITH NO COLD AIR ADVECTION. PROGGED 850MB TEMPERATURES ACTUALLY CONTINUE TO WARM TO ABOVE 0C BY 12Z SUNDAY AS MID/UPPER LEVEL TROF DEEPENS ACROSS THE CENTRAL PLAINS. MEANWHILE...ANOTHER POTENT 5H VORT ASSOCIATED WITH THE SUB-TROPICAL JET WILL EJECT FROM THE WESTERN CONUS TROF AND DEVELOP SURFACE LOW PRESSURE OVER THE SOUTHERN MS VALLEY ON SUNDAY. THIS SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO BE CAPTURED BY DEEPENING TROF OVER THE NORTHERN PLAINS AND BE PULLED NORTHWARD TOWARD THE OHIO VALLEY/GREAT LAKES BY 12Z MONDAY...PLACING OUR CWA WELL ESTABLISHED IN THE WARM SECTOR. LATEST 12Z TRENDS HAVE BEEN FOR A MUCH WARMER AND FURTHER WEST TRACK OF SURFACE LOW PRESSURE...RESULTING IN MAINLY A COLD RAIN EVENT FOR OUR REGION...ESPECIALLY WITH THE LACK OF A COLD BLOCKING HIGH TO OUR NORTH. HAVE NOTED 00Z ECMWF AND GFS ENSEMBLE DATA PLACES THE MEAN SURFACE LOW PRESSURE POSITION NEAR CAPE COD BY 12Z MONDAY...BECAUSE INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS SHOW A LARGE SPREAD WITH SOME CLUSTERING OVER THE EASTERN GREAT LAKES AND OTHERS GROUPED WELL OFF THE COAST. THE 12Z GFS ENSEMBLE DATA SHOWS A SMALL SHIFT EAST AND SLIGHTLY COOLER PROFILES. GIVEN THE UNCERTAINTY ON TRACK...POSITION AND AMOUNT OF PHASING OF SYSTEM AND TIME PERIOD WILL MENTION MAINLY A CHANCE FOR RAIN OR SNOW FOR SUNDAY INTO MONDAY OF NEXT WEEK. CONFIDENCE IS HIGH ANOTHER STORM WILL IMPACT OUR REGION DURING THIS TIME PERIOD...BUT EXACT DETAILS ARE YET TO BE DETERMINED. TEMPERATURES WILL RANGE MAINLY IN THE MID 30S TO LOWER 40S WITH LOWS MAINLY IN THE 20S TO LOWER 30S THROUGH THE PERIOD.

I am not talking about Saturday because here it looks like a mix/rain event. Anyway the CPV snow is finally winding down this evening. It persisted all day and caused a few drivers to end up in the ditch off I-89 near exit 14.

I agree Saturday looks mixed. Sorta like the 12/28 event. Snow to start with warming midlayers turning over to sleet/rain/mixed mess...not a bad thing at all as concerns building a snow base but nothing to go wild over right now...

So 12 yesterday through today and 8 from snowstorm, rest nickel and dime?

Yeah of course we keep records, I've got snow records at least through 1997, though they are at the office.

I can't remember the exact details but the "snowstorm" was only 5-6" of snow/sleet (like 1.2" QPF).  We then had a bunch of 1-3" stuff for like 3 days in a row Thurs/Fri/Sat that netted another like 6-7" at 3,000ft (while at home it was like 1-2" over 3 days).  Those westerly flow lake effect events do a nice job of spraying periods of accumulating light snow up and down the Spine (Sugarbush got 6" on Friday night? from an Ontario connection).   Then we had yesterday and last night.

But our 24" pales in comparison to Jay Peak's 36" during that same time. 

It is just plastered up there though right now.  True snow ghost trees.  It really couldn't get any more white.

Ski-Patrol-was-opening-new-terrain-today

They picked a great day to start building the retaining wall by the garage. Can confirm the ground is frozen 10-12" deep now.

Excavator is having quite the time... just bashing and bashing.

OK I guess I never realized that ground could freeze that fast that deep...My assumption would be only the top 2-3 inches would be frozen right now...

OK I guess I never realized that ground could freeze that fast that deep...My assumption would be only the top 2-3 inches would be frozen right now...

It helps that no sun ever falls on that spot this time of year. It's bare ground with no grass, so you'll get a lot of freezing even on a 30 degree night if it's clear.  

This late into the season, the ground has little stored heat left so it was definitely primed for a quick freeze.  

It prompted me to pull the bottom trim off the greenhouse door in anticipation of the heave.  Not making that mistake again.   :arrowhead:

Probably had several inches of frost already before yesterday, from the cooldown late last month.  And that 10-12" of soil probably holds only an inch or so of suspended water, and it's the heat loss required for the change in state that slows freezing of water.  The mineral portion of the soil conducts heat well and thus cools quickly compared to water.  A lake freezing over on a calm night with temps near zero will do well to make 2" ice overnight.  

First subzero morning, as forecast, and the -12 was about 5F lower than I'd expected and cold/calm enough to put ice on Long Pond (Belgrade), usually one of the last lakes in the area to freeze.  I'd guess the frost has driven into my driveway well over a foot. 

Now it seems okay.    0.0F for my low.  Sitting in my sunroom I can tell the sun angle is starting to increase and get brighter.  2 weeks past the solstice.   Gained over 15 minutes of daylight in the afternoon.  Normal temps still decrease for a couple more weeks but we are rounding the corner!!  

Now it seems okay.    0.0F for my low.  Sitting in my sunroom I can tell the sun angle is starting to increase and get brighter.  2 weeks past the solstice.   Gained over 15 minutes of daylight in the afternoon.  Normal temps still decrease for a couple more weeks but we are rounding the corner!!  

You've got some serious vision if you can detect a 0.8 degree increase in sun angle.   :weenie:

Archived