Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2015-16 Part 1

klw

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/Trace L.E.

We picked up 0.3” from yesterday’s snow activity coming from one of these weak upper level disturbances, but that’s it for January snow thus far.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 30.6 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 4.0 inches

The mountains have picked up a few inches in the past 24 hours, with most accumulations in the northern half of the state and up to a half foot reported at Sugarbush.  The north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas is below:

Jay Peak: 3”

Smuggler’s Notch: 1”

Stowe: 3”

Bolton Valley: 1”

Sugarbush: 6”

Pico: 2”

Killington: 2”

Okemo: T

Bromley: 0”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 1”

Some numbers from a record December:

Avg temp:  29.69  +7.33 and tops 2006 by 2.30 for mildest of 17 here.  Month was +8.5 thru 12/27.

Avg. max:  36.06   +4.97   2nd to 2001 (36.65)

Avg min:   23.32    +9.70   Tops 2006 by 3.84.  The avg diurnal range of 12.74 is my lowest for any month. 

High:  47 on the 25th.  Quite modest, considering the overall avg, and below my median high for Dec.  I've recorded 50+ in 9-of-17 Decembers.

High minimum:  35 on the 12th, ties for 4th mildest.

Low:  7 on the 1st.   Only my 2nd Dec not to have a subzero low, only one with the month's low during the 1st week, and not as cold as Nov's low (6 on the 30th.)  The 40F range is the smallest for any December here.

Low maximum:  13 on the 29th, during the snowstorm.  Not in coldest 10 maxima.

Precip:  5.82"   +1.33"    Most in one day:  0.93" in the snow of 12/29.

Year precip:  45.87"   -3.91"

Snowfall:  9.0"   -9.9"    12/29 had 7.0".

It seems like its been snowing for days and days now, although not a ton of accumulation to show for it.

But it has been wintery and feeling more like Northern Vermont lately with -SN for days and days.

Another pulse moving through...had 0.2" at home today on the board.

January2_zpschb7rbtq.gif

good timing, amazingly 25 inches BN at your stake.Looks like you can nearly half that by Tues

Its been ripping this morning...picked up at least an inch in the last 1-2 hours.

One week ago we got 1.35" of rain and it poured all day long.  Probably the most depressing day on Mansfield in a long time... but amazing how far we've come in one week.

Its pure winter out there.  This isn't from snowmaking, its just from heavy caking snow and rime plastering everything above 2,500ft.

Yellow's just blowin' up as they move over Mansfield.

IMG_0676_zpsowqslc5u.gif

Its been ripping this morning...picked up at least an inch in the last 1-2 hours.

One week ago we got 1.35" of rain and it poured all day long.  Probably the most depressing day on Mansfield in a long time... but amazing how far we've come in one week.

Its pure winter out there.  This isn't from snowmaking, its just from heavy caking snow and rime plastering everything above 2,500ft.

attachicon.gifjan3.JPG

Yellow's just blowin' up as they move over Mansfield.

IMG_0676_zpsowqslc5u.gif

Yea, right around 8am the heavily saturated environment started to spit snowflakes out and then it just went all out rip.  Easily an inch in 1.5 hours. Nice fat flakes. Made for a real nice surface.  

Hopefully it keeps up. And it should. Plenty of upstream moisture till the real squalls arrive. Be great to get onto some real natural terrain tomorrow. 

Curious to see how this cold shot verifies. Everything has been pretty much overplayed coldwise this year. Maybe we'll see a real change to that now. 

Yea, right around 8am the heavily saturated environment started to spit snowflakes out and then it just went all out rip. Easily an inch in 1.5 hours. Nice fat flakes. Made for a real nice surface.

Hopefully it keeps up. And it should. Plenty of upstream moisture till the real squalls arrive. Be great to get onto some real natural terrain tomorrow.

Curious to see how this cold shot verifies. Everything has been pretty much overplayed coldwise this year. Maybe we'll see a real change to that now.

I just checked the High Road stake at 3,000ft and was surprised to find 3" of pure fluff. Heading over to check base stake before leaving.

I'm going to dynamite those Green Mountains.  Just endless snow showers that look like they are coming my way and the Green's eat them up.  Maybe with the actual front we can get some flurries over to this side.

I like the looks of the 12Z GFS.  Haven't read the board yet to see what the Euro has for late week.

Edit...guess Euro is way west.  Best not to look at runs until we are 4 or perhaps 5 days out.  On a separate note I don't like the new resolution lines on the GFS.  At least on the 850.  All the little squiggles. Maybe its good within 24 hours but they are not going to verify days out and makes the maps harder to read.

The squalls didn't really materialize so far here. We have had decent snow showers but nothing like a 2-3 inch an hour near whiteout. It is hard with the mountains to pinpoint where anything might be in northern NY on radar.

Couldn't come up with a more Currier and Ives snow as right now. Just huge dendrites and aggregates (some like a half inch to and inch wide) falling softly. It's like 1-2sm 1" per hour type stuff, haha. The flakes are so big that although visibility isn't very low it still stacks up quickly.

Archived