joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2015-16 Part 1

klw

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do love when this happens during busy times because some of the tourists get so flustered...both in a good and bad way. They've never heard of unforecast snow it seems, so even getting an inch when the forecast called for flurries is a big win. To them measurable snow is like a "storm" where even 1-3" gets the comments like "no one said there'd be a storm today!"

Or like this conversation on the Gondola, "I've been checking weather.com and it says absolutely nothing about snow in the northeast. Should we leave early today if it's going to be a snowy ride to Boston?" "No, I wouldn't worry, if you get in your car and drive 5 miles that way I bet the sun might be out."

I do love when this happens during busy times because some of the tourists get so flustered...both in a good and bad way. They've never heard of unforecast snow it seems, so even getting an inch when the forecast called for flurries is a big win. To them measurable snow is like a "storm" where even 1-3" gets the comments like "no one said there'd be a storm today!"

Or like this conversation on the Gondola, "I've been checking weather.com and it says absolutely nothing about snow in the northeast. Should we leave early today if it's going to be a snowy ride to Boston?" "No, I wouldn't worry, if you get in your car and drive 5 miles that way I bet the sun might be out."

love it

A bit more than 5 miles away but there has been no sun here. On and off snow flurries with occasional bumps up to light, almost moderate at times, snow showers. I do agree about the hit and miss nature of the snow though. I had to go out earlier and when I drove past KMPV it wasn't doing anything. All in all a very wintry appeal type day, though if I had my druthers, I'd slice another 10-15 degrees off the temps. 15-20 is perfect in winter.

A bit more than 5 miles away but there has been no sun here. On and off snow flurries with occasional bumps up to light, almost moderate at times, snow showers. I do agree about the hit and miss nature of the snow though. I had to go out earlier and when I drove past KMPV it wasn't doing anything. All in all a very wintry appeal type day, though if I had my druthers, I'd slice another 10-15 degrees off the temps. 15-20 is perfect in winter.

Yeah this was definitely a more widespread snow shower activity across northern VT....its not a sharp break to sunny skies. 

I just got home and picked up 0.4" of fluffy snow but since temps were marginal, the accumulation was on the elevated white snowboard and existing snow surface, nothing on the road or dark surfaces.

However up at the mountain (base, 1550ft) we were up to 1.75" as of 2pm.

I really like this qpf dense stuff that fell earlier this week, it has some real staying power. My son and his friend have been riding the snowmobile around a little course we have set up between our house and our neighbors. It's about .2 of a mile and they have done about 20 miles this afternoon without digging down to grass. This stuff is tough.

I really like this qpf dense stuff that fell earlier this week, it has some real staying power. My son and his friend have been riding the snowmobile around a little course we have set up between our house and our neighbors. It's about .2 of a mile and they have done about 20 miles this afternoon without digging down to grass. This stuff is tough.

Final tally 27.5 miles. Snow on the front lawn beaten but still there.

It was dumping for awhile. Got a quick inch or so. Roads were bad. And I didn't put the snow tires on the car (long story-need new tires, but also need new car). Got stuck coming up steep hill about a quarter mile from house. Frustrating.

Yeah there's a nice connection to Lake Ontario hitting your area near Sugarbush. The RGEM actually has a stripe of about 3" tonight in Washington County, so we'll have to monitor that band.

Yeah there's a nice connection to Lake Ontario hitting your area near Sugarbush. The RGEM actually has a stripe of about 3" tonight in Washington County, so we'll have to monitor that band.

Yeah, I kinda have a feeling about tonight. Might even see ropes drop on some natural snow trails tomorrow. That would be so,e turnaround.

Yeah, I kinda have a feeling about tonight. Might even see ropes drop on some natural snow trails tomorrow. That would be so,e turnaround.

Ha yeah we are also starting to open up low angle natural snow terrain...hard to think about when a week ago it was 65F and we were seeing the warmest December temps ever seen in VT in recorded history.

You should be getting hit pretty good right now...I know from earlier today that this type of radar with specks of 30dbz+ translates to 1" per hour type snow. 

Jan__1_zpsbx4ie7gu.gif

Archived