SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2015-16 Part 1

klw

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Below is the updated north to south listing of snow totals from Winter Storm Goliath at the Vermont ski areas for those areas that made an afternoon update.  Totals thus far range from 8 inches at the northern resorts down to roughly half a foot in the rest of the state.

Jay Peak: 8”

Smuggler’s Notch: 8”

Stowe: 5”

Bolton Valley: 5”

Sugarbush: 6”

Pico: 5”

Killington: 5”

Okemo: 5”

Magic Mountain: 4”

Stratton: 4”

Mount Snow: 6”

Snowing pretty decently out...another few tenths of new snow in the past half hour to hour here on RT 108 on the radar, with small granular flakes.  Its like light snow and mist, but its accumulating.

Yeah, definitely – a couple of additional tenths down here to tack on as the storm rolls along.

5.5" total sn/ip/sg from the event. I don't think we had any zr/zl at all.

22/-55 right now. my dew sensor has kicked the bucket. i'm considering taking the data down until my new sensor comes in, but the temp data is fine. i'll give it one more try with the homebrew sensor and after that it's back to davis sensors until i can figure out how to fully protect it from the elements.

Event totals: 6.3” Snow/1.11” L.E.

The overnight snow appears to be associated with a decaying occluded frontal boundary as part of Winter Storm Goliath, so I’ll continue to roll accumulations into this event until a more obvious break appears prior to the next low pressure system that’s expected to affect the area tonight.  Accumulations on the board are sub 10% H2O now that sleet is out of the picture.  One of the more potent bands just came through to really bump up the snowfall and produce some flakes up to an inch in diameter, so there will be some additional accumulation to report as well:

30DEC15A.gif

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.4

Snow Density: 8.8% H2O

Temperature: 29.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.5 inches

Updated totals for Winter Storm Goliath at the Vermont ski areas are listed north to south below.  The northern areas have been picking up a bit of additional snow creating a steeper gradient of accumulations down the list relative to the initial stages of the storm.

Jay Peak: 11”

Smuggler’s Notch: 8”

Stowe: 6”

Bolton Valley: 7”

Mad River Glen: 8”

Sugarbush: 8”

Pico: 5”

Killington: 5”

Okemo: 5”

Bromley: 4”

Stratton: 4”

Mount Snow: 6”

Light snow of varying intensities continues.  Vis 1 to 4 miles.   5 minutes ago a peak of the sun and right now almost moderate in intensity. I made a video clip of today's weather.  I wish I could understand what was happening from a meteorological point of view.  The motion of the clouds is just all over the place. Really interesting to watch cause there is no wind. If someone can explain it to me I would love to hear it.  The begining of the clip you can see the clouds coming in from the south followed by the light snow.  Then further into the clip the clouds are going every which way.  Looks like some type of fire down my road too, have to check on what happened if anything...

Gene

https://video.nest.com/clip/fc3c1c1f88ce4f12be0a0c2064e106b9.mp4

Light snow of varying intensities continues.  Vis 1 to 4 miles.   5 minutes ago a peak of the sun and right now almost moderate in intensity. I made a video clip of today's weather.  I wish I could understand what was happening from a meteorological point of view.  The motion of the clouds is just all over the place. Really interesting to watch cause there is no wind. If someone can explain it to me I would love to hear it.  The begining of the clip you can see the clouds coming in from the south followed by the light snow.  Then further into the clip the clouds are going every which way.  Looks like some type of fire down my road too, have to check on what happened if anything...

Gene

https://video.nest.com/clip/fc3c1c1f88ce4f12be0a0c2064e106b9.mp4

Still very inverted today, so winds are going to translate to the surface. MWN is 50 mph, so there is some W flow aloft.

Given that low level temps are so cold, and we're saturated, any orographic lift is going to spit out snow showers. But shallow (dry above 700 mb), so you can still see the sun at times.

Snowing pretty good.  Didn't expect this.  Vis probably about 3/4 miles. 

Yeah the ASOS in this area had a couple bursts below 1 mile vis. 

Snow took a break after 11am but has come back on as of 3pm.  Some big flakes in town mixed with much smaller like snow mist.

Now this is what winter should feel like...snowbanks, a very dense 5-6" of ground cover, last night's 1" sitting on all the tree branches, flakes in the air off and on all day. 

Its about time, haha.

Still very inverted today, so winds are going to translate to the surface. MWN is 50 mph, so there is some W flow aloft.

Given that low level temps are so cold, and we're saturated, any orographic lift is going to spit out snow showers. But shallow (dry above 700 mb), so you can still see the sun at times.

Thanks Ocean.  Light snow has seemed to come to an end, at least temporarily.

Thanks Ocean.  Light snow has seemed to come to an end, at least temporarily.

Snowing nicely now. Big fatties falling.

Amazing how much more like winter it feels than even 48 hours ago. White on the ground makes a big difference.

You guys should do alright tonight. As the wave moves through DGZ saturates just enough in northern areas for a period of steady snows. May score a 1-2 if lucky.

Models hinting at a little departing upslope snows too.

Archived