• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2015-16 Part 1

klw

BTV upgraded this area and points NE to a Winter Storm Warning.

28DEC15B.jpg

Tonight

Snow after midnight. Snow may be heavy at times after midnight. Snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches. Lows around 10 above. Light and variable winds...becoming southeast 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 30 mph after midnight. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Tuesday

Snow or sleet in the morning...then sleet and freezing drizzle likely in the afternoon. Snow may be heavy at times in the morning. Total snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches. Ice accumulation around a trace. Highs in the upper 20s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 35 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Yeah, I saw that; seems like a good sign.  I’ve got the latest accumulations map below – there’s definitely more of the yellow 6-8” shading encroaching on the northern spine of the Greens:

28DEC15C.jpg

Our point forecast here got a bit of a bump to the 4-8” range as well.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been really having a hard time with my SHT75 sensors. The temperature has been fine, but after about a month I start having issues with the dewpoint. My current one starts going haywire during higher RH situations like fog and precip. It went up to 70% tonight after the snow began and now it's down to 54% despite moderate rates. I may give it one more shot and load it with conformal coating, but I won't hold my breath.

Event totals: 4.3” Snow/0.56” L.E.

Snow started up here a bit after midnight, and it’s very dense stuff comprised of small flakes.  Density of this morning’s stack from the snowboard was 13.0% H2O.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 4.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.56 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 7.7

Snow Density: 13.0% H2O

Temperature: 19.9 F

Sky: Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 4.5 inches

The north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for this storm is below.  I’m using the upper values provided by the resorts in their 24-hr totals.

Jay Peak: 6”

Smuggler’s Notch: 6”

Stowe: 4”

Mad River Glen: 5”

Sugarbush: 5”

Pico: 5”

Killington: 5”

Okemo: 5”

Bromley: 4”

Stratton: 4”

Mount Snow: 5”

15.7F  moderate snow grains with some larger sleet pellets.   Almost 6".   This snowcover is very dense with so much sleet mixed in.  Now that we have a solid dense snowcover it will not be going anyplace fast.  At least it looks like winter.  Wonder when if the cold air will come back in aloft giving us a bit more accumulation?   A couple more inches and the snowmobile trails could be opened.

sleet with some snow mixing in.  Pretty dense 4.5" here. Probably some pretty nice silky skiing this morning- relative to recently. Nice for the holiday crowd- after last weeks ugliness, this is worlds better. 

Hope the sleet/snow keeps up- resorts picking up 6"+ of dense goes a long way.

wondering where this freezing rain is... had a little bit of it mixed in with sleet mid-afternoon, but now it's back to snow/sleet. Not really seeing evidence of a warmup on the radar (if you can trust those readings on wunderground, shows all snow), snowing again outside- wondering if the column is supposed to be warmed up by now?

Event totals: 4.9” Snow/0.87” L.E.

I’m passing along the midday analysis now since I couldn’t get it out before we headed up to the mountain for the afternoon.  The morning’s accumulation was quite dense thanks to a hefty amount of sleet in the precipitation mix.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.31 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 1.9

Snow Density: 51.7% H2O

Temperature: 25.2 F

Sky: Sleet

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

wondering where this freezing rain is... had a little bit of it mixed in with sleet mid-afternoon, but now it's back to snow/sleet. Not really seeing evidence of a warmup on the radar (if you can trust those readings on wunderground, shows all snow), snowing again outside- wondering if the column is supposed to be warmed up by now?

Column will only be cooling from this point forward. The question is whether or not it stays saturated through -10 or so. If it is, you'll get snow showers, if not you'll get freezing drizzle.

5" on the mountain and at home.

Beautiful night out there with the fresh snow.  Currently light sleet mixed with snow grains.  I think the sleet is freezing drizzle that is refreezing before the surface, not due to warmth in the mid-levels.

Puppy's first real snow at home.  She's played in a few of the snow events on the mountain, but not in the backyard.   The snow and sleet is so dense she can almost walk on it and has to dig down to the ground, even though its only 5".

Dec_29_4pm_home_zpsjzktcpwa.jpg

Town was looking quite nice this evening...

Dec_29_5pm_town2_zpspoavy9m7.jpg

Event totals: 5.5” Snow/1.04” L.E.

There was a real mixed bag of precipitation types this afternoon, but there were a lot more periods of snow among the sleet and that brought the density of the 6:00 P.M. stack down to half of what the 12:00 P.M. stack contained.

The precipitation is entirely back to snow now and accumulating at least modestly, so there should be something to report in the next update.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.17 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 3.5

Snow Density: 28.3% H2O

Temperature: 28.8 F

Sky: Snow (1-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 5.5 inches

With over an inch of liquid on the ground now, this is likely the start of the winter snowpack here.  Assuming this marks the beginning, this is 3 to 4 weeks later than the average start of snowpack here, and the latest start I have in my records.  However, it’s actually only 6 days later than the start date I have for the 2011-2012 season.

Archived