• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2015-16 Part 1

klw

Yeah those winds were wild! I haven't seen the Front wind-stripped like that before. All those steep runs were just blown clean to grass and dirt. Would've been a great day for the woods if there was any base, haha. One of those days where there's no new snow on the trails but it's boot deep in the woods.

Snow plots had 3.5" at 1,500ft and 4.5" at 3,000ft off Perry Merrill.

What is interesting is I could seem them going clean. I haven't tracked back on the winds but I'm pretty certain in the time between when I left my car and when I got up there half of the snow on the front was gone. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things would have to really, really go our way if we are to make up 15" in the last 10 days of the month, but weirder things have happened I guess, haha.

I think this month takes the top spot in the basement records.

Agreed, I think it’s most likely that this December is going to set the new low bar.  It’s not practical to expect that 15” to be made up in just one storm either, so we’d be needing at least a couple of decent shots of snow to get there.  At this point, it sounds like the upcoming weekend period has the most potential, but it’s not necessarily that substantial, and temperatures still seem rather marginal:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

639 AM EST MON DEC 21 2015

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...

COLDER AIR TO DRAIN SOUTHWARD FROM CANADA SATURDAY NIGHT...AS A WAVE OF LOW PRESSURE OVER THE OHIO VALLEY PASSES SOUTH OF THE REGION SATURDAY NIGHT...SO HAVE CHANCE POPS FOR RAIN OR SNOW SATURDAY NIGHT. WILL CONTINUE WITH CHANCE POPS FOR RAIN OR SNOW ON SUNDAY AS WELL.

Unfortunately since I worked this weekend I didn't get to take advantage of any skiing ahead of the next torch. I am probably going to have my meltdown soon enough.

Haha, January 2014 was a heck of a lot more frustrating than this.  Mostly because we were still getting the cutters up here and the in-between snow events were happening well south of here.  More inches of rain than snow.

Haha, January 2014 was a heck of a lot more frustrating than this. Mostly because we were still getting the cutters up here and the in-between snow events were happening well south of here. More inches of rain than snow.

Oh yeah I won't forget the scrape fest.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Nice weenie run of white Xmas in the 60s through mid 80s in ALB. I guess the old adage of my parents generation going to school uphill both ways in the snow was true...maybe in DEC as least. Been not so white since the Mid 80s though on xmas.

12369067_1146201865391697_57926760668156

2002 is funny...it was a trace at 12z probably right as the big storm started, and then was like 20" at 11:59pm on 12/25/02.

Actually fairly impressive that for 6 years in a row now ALB won't have measurable snow on the ground at Xmas.

And only 6 of the last 29 years have had 1" or more at 12z on 12/25.

2002 is funny...it was a trace at 12z probably right as the big storm started, and then was like 20" at 11:59pm on 12/25/02.

Actually fairly impressive that for 6 years in a row now ALB won't have measurable snow on the ground at Xmas.

Yea, its funny people were commenting on ALY FB page about that 02 storm, but at measurement time it was a T, then the storm went nuts I guess post measurement.

Yea, its funny people were commenting on ALY FB page about that 02 storm, but at measurement time it was a T, then the storm went nuts I guess post measurement.

Yeah it started right at day break and was mostly light snow through early afternoon. Then it just cranked away late afternoon through evening with like a foot falling in 4 hours around Xmas dinner time. Tapered off that night.

The big time snowmakers in Maine and the N halves of VT/NH will probably stay open. Elsewhere it might be either slush or grass.

Man made snow is so durable.  It takes a long thaw to melt it.  Any slopes that have a man made base will probably be okay.  Places close to me like Ragged will have 2 or 3 slopes open. Looking at the mountain from my view only 2 trails are white.

I'm wondering how many ski areas in New England/East close between now and next weekend.

Huh?

After this weekend's cold and snowmaking?  Places that survived the first 3 weeks of this month will have no problem surviving the last month.

Jay Peak. Smuggs, Stowe, Sugarbush, Killington, Okemo, Stratton, Bromely, Mt Snow in Vermont will have no issues staying open if they could make it through the 2 full weeks without snowmaking that we just went through.

Man made snow is so durable.  It takes a long thaw to melt it.  Any slopes that have a man made base will probably be okay.  Places close to me like Ragged will have 2 or 3 slopes open. Looking at the mountain from my view only 2 trails are white.

It takes a ton of energy to melt man--made snow.  Its like sleet ratios.  Try melting 2-3 feet of sleet in one week. 

This season could be a fatal blow to Bolton Valley which has barely stayed afloat as it is.

BV is an interesting ski area operation...changed hands multiple times over the last decade or two.  Their problem is definitely going to be opening the ski resort, because all the other money making operations around there are out-sourced.  Like the lodge is owned by a different company, their banquets are done by the Inn at Essex, I think even their rental shop may be owned by someone else.  What happened years ago is that BV needed money so they sold just about everything they could up there.  Its one of the more interesting ski areas in that regard in the Northeast.

Tenney Mountain in Plymouth NH went bankrupt a few years ago.  This year someone bought it.  They have been putting in millions of dollars this summer and fall rebuilding the base station, lifts and cutting back all the overgrowth on the trails.  They have 2 lifts but only had time to get the smaller one fixed and certified.  On their facebook page they have been putting daily videos and updates.  I think they will have limited snowmaking.  Feel so bad for them as they really need a good Christmas to start making some money.  As of 2 days ago they had not started their snow guns.

Just looked at the GFS to see what happens after the torch.  Another system at the end of this weekend that looks too warm and then a cutter on Tuesday.  Just brutal for Christmas week.

BV is an interesting ski area operation...changed hands multiple times over the last decade or two. Their problem is definitely going to be opening the ski resort, because all the other money making operations around there are out-sourced. Like the lodge is owned by a different company, their banquets are done by the Inn at Essex, I think even their rental shop may be owned by someone else. What happened years ago is that BV needed money so they sold just about everything they could up there. Its one of the more interesting ski areas in that regard in the Northeast.

It seems that there is so much potential for that place. Close to BTV and the easiest to get to, great base elevation and access to a ton of back country. The DesLauriers screwed that place up big time. Even though I'm not a skier, I hope that it can stay open.

Huh?

After this weekend's cold and snowmaking?  Places that survived the first 3 weeks of this month will have no problem surviving the last month.

Jay Peak. Smuggs, Stowe, Sugarbush, Killington, Okemo, Stratton, Bromely, Mt Snow in Vermont will have no issues staying open if they could make it through the 2 full weeks without snowmaking that we just went through.

1" + of rain in the next two days + 60F weather on Christmas Eve is worse than what happened last week.

Archived