• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
NNE Winter 2015-16 Part 1

klw

Yeah, I just checked my data, and even with close to a foot from this last event, all it did was raise the snowfall at our site from ~44% of average to ~47% of average for the date.  I’m not sure how that compares to other areas around, but it’s higher than when I’d last checked, so it’s possible we’re doing a bit better than some of the surrounding areas.  We’re still in the bottom ~5% of seasons according to my statistics, although that is an improvement from when the data were indicating that we were in the bottom 2 to 3% of seasons.

It’s interesting, I know the Northern Greens upslope zone is very resistant to extremes of snowfall (we’ve talked about how it’s essentially impossible for us to get the 200 to 250% of normal that some places down south achieved last season).  So we should be protected on the other end as well with respect to extremely low snowfall seasons.  It’s hard to feel like that works when monthly snowfall numbers up here are so large, and when you miss out on months like November/December you wonder where that extra 50 inches of snow is going to come from to make up the huge deficits (vs. a place that might average 10” in December – you feel like you could make that up in one storm).  But I guess events like the one we just had are how it’s done at the seasonal level – Mother Nature’s safety net in action.

Yeah BTV is somewhere around that 47% mark I think as well. In school that is an F ;).

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah BTV is somewhere around that 47% mark I think as well. In school that is an F ;).

I get the idea that we are all in about the same boat with regards to snowfall relative to normal...it's been fairly even, not like it's the sixth upslope-only event we've had, or a big event that completely shafted BTV or whatever.. Plus winter really just started three weeks ago, and prior to that we were all within 6" of each other.

having only 8.7 inches here qualifies as having not even bothered with doing the homework.  There's talk of having to repeat 2nd grade.

Yeah I would agree with you there. If BTV doesn't see a warning level event by the end of Feb I will cliff dive.

Too bad the wind isn't stronger out of the N or NNW...to the naked eye it looks favorable for Lake Champlain to make some light snow right now for Southern Chittenden/ Addison. The lake is steaming with a pretty good skim coat of ice over the majority of Keeler Bay up here in the islands. And it looks like there is the slightest coating of white out there on the cedars, as well.

I'd say it looks like deep winter up here with 8 degrees under cloudy skies, but the scene still isn't totally set with the majority of the lake surface still fluid- not to mention some of that greenish lawn I can still see poking through here and there, hah!   

Following the NYC/Metro obs thread for a little excitement, otherwise.

Time for Spring. Most boring winter ever.

Gotta snow sometime, haha.  At the mountain we are still 150" away from just hitting the LOWEST winter snow total I've ever experienced up here since 2003.

Only 240" more to go to get to average snow for the season with about 13 weeks left...only have to average 20" a week from here on out!

Gotta snow sometime, haha.  At the mountain we are still 150" away from just hitting the LOWEST winter snow total I've ever experienced up here since 2003.

Only 240" more to go to get to average snow for the season with about 13 weeks left...only have to average 20" a week from here on out!

I'm just over it.

This isn't even a meltdown at all. I just didn't think I'd have to live through another 09-10 in my lifetime. Fast forward to May 1 please.

Man absolutely love these drone shots from you and Gene. Such a cool perspective as a landscape photographer.

Thank you and yeah I also need to post a couple of shots from smuggs today (non drone). Vid was amazing

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Archived