Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter 2015-16 Part 1

klw

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys should do alright tonight. As the wave moves through DGZ saturates just enough in northern areas for a period of steady snows. May score a 1-2 if lucky.

Models hinting at a little departing upslope snows too.

Yeah we are getting these little bursts of light snow but with huge flakes that accumulate despite the relatively light pace.  The big flakes that don't know whether they are going up or down sometimes, snow globe style.  The type of flake that can drift downwind quite a bit too.

This little burst left a quick 1/4"...I could see an inch or so overnight from a few of these small rounds of showers.  A little orographic help from SW flow into the Spine and hilly terrain of interior VT. 

Dec_30_snowglobe_zpslipsdbvo.gif

Event totals: 6.6” Snow/1.12” L.E.

This morning’s accumulations should mark the end of Winter Storm Goliath, since the snow from this afternoon appears to be associated with the next low pressure system to affect the area.  So the above totals represent the final numbers for the storm at our site.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 34.3 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 6.5 inches

Event totals: 0.6” Snow/0.02” L.E.

There were various rounds of spontaneous snowfall today, the sort where you look out the window and suddenly there are huge flakes coming down.  With flakes in the air more often than not lately, it’s definitely starting to feel more like winter should in the Northern Greens.  Following along with the BTV NWS forecast discussions, it looks like midday today was the break between departing Winter Storm Goliath and this incoming event, which is a weak low pressure system.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 32.5 F

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

In addition to this current system, it sounds like there are a series of disturbances over the next several days that will keep the flakes flying:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

655 PM EST WED DEC 30 2015

.SYNOPSIS...

A WEAK LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL BRING LIGHT WINTRY MIX TONIGHT. SEVERAL UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCES WILL PROVIDE CHANCES FOR SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS THURSDAY INTO THE WEEKEND...ESPECIALLY OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN. TEMPERATURES WILL START ABOVE NORMAL AND TREND COLDER THROUGH EARLY NEXT WEEK.

Eek!

IMG_20151230_175133.jpg

Glad you posted this. I've been down in the Miami/Homestead area all week. Didn't know enough about the local climate to suggest this was very unusual but yea, every night here I haven't seen the mercury below the upper 70's. I made several comments to friends over the past few days about how I can't believe it's after midnight and the car thermometer is still showing 80F...

First drone flight was a success. It is not very difficult to fly at all so long as you use subtle movements on the controls. I will post video once it is done processing. I needed to increase the exposure but I was focused on flying correctly the first time :) 

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/0.16” L.E.

It looks like our overnight precipitation was the last from this most recent, fairly weak low pressure system.  The precipitation here was a real mixed bag through the night, and with temperatures around the freezing mark there was just a slushy tenth of an inch of dense frozen material on the boards at observations time this morning.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.0

Snow Density: 50.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.4 F

Snow at the stake: 6.0 inches

Our next phase of weather appears to be a broad 500 mb trough with the potential for snow showers, squalls, and lake moisture involvement, and I’ll be following the BTV NWS forecast discussion carefully to see if they break it down into any specific events:

SHORT TERM /6 AM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAY/... AS OF 323 AM EST THURSDAY...500MB TROUGH ACROSS THE NORTHERN GREAT LAKES REGION FRIDAY MORNING WILL SHIFT ESEWD INTO NRN NY LATE IN THE DAY FRIDAY...AND THEN ALLOW FOR A TRANSITION TOWARD A DEEP-LAYER NWLY FLOW REGIME IN ITS WAKE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY. NEAR-SURFACE LAPSE RATES ARE QUITE STEEP DURING THE DAY FRIDAY...WITH 00Z NAM INDICATING 0-2KM AGL VALUES APPROACHING 8 C/KM DURING THE 18Z FRI THRU 00Z SAT PERIOD. COMBINATION OF INCREASED CYCLONIC FLOW AHEAD OF APPROACHING TROUGH AXIS AND LOW- LEVEL MOISTURE ADVECTION FROM THE ERN GREAT LAKES ON WSWLY FLOW WILL CREATE SBCAPE VALUES OF 50-100 J/KG AND BTV SNOW SQUALL PARAMETER VALUES OF 2-4. OVERALL PATTERN WILL RESULT IN SOME CONVECTIVE BURSTS OF SNOW ESPECIALLY FRIDAY AFTN WITH SCATTERED SNOW SHOWER AND LOCALIZED SNOW SQUALL ACTIVITY. SHOULD ALSO SEE SOME OROGRAPHIC ENHANCEMENT TO THE SNOW SHOWERS INTO THE NRN ADIRONDACKS AND CENTRAL/NRN GREENS.

It is nice to see a wintry forecast discussion and I love a good snow squall. Of course I will be on the mountain tomorrow. Anyway here is my first drone flight (Yes it is a little dark but I am still learning the settings and of course I was focused on flying). Watch in HD:

It is nice to see a wintry forecast discussion and I love a good snow squall. Of course I will be on the mountain tomorrow. Anyway here is my first drone flight (Yes it is a little dark but I am still learning the settings and of course I was focused on flying). Watch in HD:

Awesome, Pretty steady on the controls as well

Eyewall  welcome to the drone community.  Nice video and glad the first flight was a success.  We had partly to mostly sunny this AM while you looked much more clouded in.  I took my drone out and got some nice video with multiple low cloud layers.  I'm not going to post it, I have posted enough video but once again at around 400 feet my drone was hit by fairly high winds.  So now when I fly I really watch how fast the clouds are moving as what is happening on the ground can be very different than several hundred feet up.  Again Congrats!

lol, I bet, But my guess is it returned safely, When you make that type of investment you certainly don't want to crash it on its maiden voyage

Yeah the landing was smooth. I took the descent slowly and had a little wind drift to compensate for.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Archived