SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2015-16 Part 1

klw

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May catch at least a little winter before Tuesday's event on the lower end anyways

Severe weather for Lewiston, ME — via Weather Underground (http://www.wunderground.com/download/index.asp#ios).

----------------

Winter Weather Advisory

3:01 PM EST, 12/25,expires 12:00 AM EST, 12/28

... Winter Weather Advisory in effect from midnight Saturday night to midnight EST Sunday night...

The National Weather Service in gray has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for snow... sleet... and freezing rain... which is in effect from midnight Saturday night to midnight EST Sunday night.

* Hazard types... freezing rain... sleet... and snow.

* Accumulations... ice accumulation from one tenth to one quarter inch along with 1 to 5 inches of snow.

* Timing... precipitation begins early Sunday morning as light snow or sleet. Precipitation will transition to freezing rain through the morning before changing back to snow Sunday afternoon and evening.

* Impacts... freezing rain will cause a coating of ice on cold surfaces like roads and walkways. This will make for icy travel conditions. Snow accumulating on top of the ice coating could make the ice much more difficult to see and more dangerous.

* Winds... northeast 5 to 10 mph.

* Temperatures... in the upper 20s.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow... sleet... or freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for slippery roads and limited visibilities... and use caution while driving.

Kimble

----------------

Very quiet in here. Makes me think the people who know what they're talking about, think something wintry is coming but don't want to jinx us. Looking nice out there today. Hoping to score something with the next two events.

Just hoping to have the ground white when I get home Wednesday. It'll lift my spirits a bit.

The anticipated return to wintry weather in the Greens is expected to start today, and this is somewhat fortuitous timing with respect to the ski areas and their holiday week visitors.  Aside from not having the more typical amount of base and terrain in place, the expected weather trend is almost the antithesis of one of those instances where a decent, wintry December will flounder a bit during the holiday week.  To start of this upcoming period we get what I believe may be (amazingly) the first Winter Weather Advisory of the season from the BTV NWS:

26DEC15A.jpg

Snow accumulations in favored areas are anticipated to be 2 to 5 inches followed by some mixed precipitation:

26DEC15B.jpg

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

318 AM EST SAT DEC 26 2015

VTZ003-004-006-007-262100-

/O.NEW.KBTV.WW.Y.0014.151227T0400Z-151228T0400Z/

ORLEANS-ESSEX-LAMOILLE-CALEDONIA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWPORT...ISLAND POND...JOHNSON...

STOWE...ST. JOHNSBURY

318 AM EST SAT DEC 26 2015

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO

11 PM EST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR WINTRY MIXED PRECIPITATION...WHICH IS IN

EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO 11 PM EST SUNDAY.

* LOCATIONS...NORTHEAST KINGDOM OF VERMONT.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 5 INCHES OF HEAVY WET

SNOW...ALONG WITH UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE ACCUMULATION.

* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...UP TO 1 INCH PER HOUR...EARLY SUNDAY

MORNING.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL DEVELOP AROUND MIDNIGHT TONIGHT AND BECOME

BRIEFLY HEAVY AT TIMES ON SUNDAY MORNING. THE SNOW IS EXPECTED

TO MIX WITH SLEET...FREEZING RAIN...AND RAIN ON SUNDAY

AFTERNOON...BEFORE ENDING AS A PERIOD OF SNOW SUNDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...ROADS WILL BECOME SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY MAKING

TRAVEL DIFFICULT.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 5 TO 10 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWS IN THE MID 20S TONIGHT AND HIGHS IN THE MID

30S SUNDAY.

* VISIBILITIES...BELOW 1 MILE AT TIMES SUNDAY MORNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR

FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR

SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE

DRIVING.

PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR

GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS

WEATHER SITUATION.

Enjoying the last day of "fall".   From here on out the landscape should have at least some snow/ice around.  It must be pretty unusual to see Connecticut Lake in Pittsburg ice free on Dec 26th.

Hope everyone enjoyed the holiday.

That's actually Back Lake, which is much smaller and shallower, so it's even more impressive.  I wonder if this was actually their first ever brown Christmas.

That's actually Back Lake, which is much smaller and shallower, so it's even more impressive. I wonder if this was actually their first ever brown Christmas.

It wouldn't surprise me. It was the first Christmas without an inch of snow on Mansfield. They probably have similar probabilities of having snow on the ground, unless it was like 1982 when Mansfield had 4" and there was no snow below 3,000ft.

Had a great bike ride today. Not exactly what I was looking to do to ring in the new year, but great nonetheless.

Looks like winter is going to start tomorrow night. I kind a knew December was going to suck but I feel that that's all in the past now. Sure there will be ups and downs, but the monotony of crappiness seems to be over. Maybe someone should start a new thread to officially put the past month into the dustbin of history. Who's feeling lucky?

Looks like winter is going to start tomorrow night.

Tomorrow night?

Perhaps it’s because of the holiday, but I can’t believe that there isn’t more discussion in here with a winter storm coming… tonight… as in a few hours from now.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

247 PM EST SAT DEC 26 2015

ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 5 INCHES...ALONG WITH AROUND A TRACE OF ICE.

...SNOW WILL DEVELOP AROUND MIDNIGHT TONIGHT AND BECOME BRIEFLY HEAVY AT TIMES ON SUNDAY MORNING. THE SNOW IS EXPECTED TO MIX WITH SLEET...FREEZING RAIN...AND RAIN ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON... BEFORE ENDING AS A PERIOD OF SNOW SUNDAY NIGHT.

The Mansfield point forecast below looks pretty nice to me, we must be a spoiled bunch!

Tonight

Snow and sleet, becoming all sleet after 4am. Low around 27. Very windy, with a south wind 9 to 19 mph increasing to 33 to 43 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Sunday

Rain and sleet before 11am, then rain and snow between 11am and 2pm, then snow after 2pm. Temperature falling to around 27 by 5pm. Very windy, with a southwest wind 35 to 40 mph becoming west 25 to 30 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

No new snow accumulation overnight, but it does look like there was a burst of sleet at the beginning.  Fairly significant icing event going on above 2,000ft though. 

4,000ft...31F

3,600ft...28F (just below the ridge on the east side has been bouncing around from 26-31F)

2,600ft...29F

1,500ft...33F

750ft...35F

No new snow accumulation overnight, but it does look like there was a burst of sleet at the beginning.  Fairly significant icing event going on above 2,000ft though. 

4,000ft...31F

3,600ft...28F (just below the ridge on the east side has been bouncing around from 26-31F)

2,600ft...29F

1,500ft...33F

750ft...35F

Not an easy thing to put into the grids, but I think I did a pretty good job last night. I have a big area of 0.25" ice over the Whites, but it took heavy editing to get that to dump out naturally without adjusting up.

Why were they thinking 2-5" up there near PF?

I don't know but I never bought it.  I had our mountain forecast on the snow report yesterday at 4pm say there may be a chance of a light snow/sleet accumulation but to expect freezing rain or sleet into mid-morning before going to rain at all elevations.

BTV does an awesome job with their mountain forecasts, but bound to miss one.

I don't know but I never bought it.  I had our mountain forecast on the snow report yesterday at 4pm say there may be a chance of a light snow/sleet accumulation but to expect freezing rain or sleet into mid-morning before going to rain at all elevations.

BTV does an awesome job with their mountain forecasts, but bound to miss one.

That's what I thought. Not busting them or anything, but I was wondering. They usually do an awesome job.

Finally some love for you guys. The tables (picnic :lol:) have turned for at least NNE.

That's what I thought. Not busting them or anything, but I was wondering. They usually do an awesome job.

The snow forecast did seem a bit strong based on the temperatures that the models were showing, but there is at least some wintry component to this storm.  Advisories were even out, so whether yea or nay, I was surprised to see so little discussion in here about it.  Like PF said, maybe everyone is focused on the next event that holds more potential for snow.  At least we’ve had some reports and discussion on this one now.

Archived