• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2015-16 Part 1

klw

It's great to have clean cars, roads and driveways and not worrying about tracking salt and sand in the house.

All the cars I'm seeing over here are filthy including my own.  Dusty dry, but also just enough salt and crap on the roads from the upslope event 9 days ago...RT 108 up near the ski resort has its near permanent layer of salt and sand on the road, haha.

Looking forward to more drone shots! 

Great photos BobButts!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the cars I'm seeing over here are filthy including my own. Dusty dry, but also just enough salt and crap on the roads from the upslope event 9 days ago...RT 108 up near the ski resort has its near permanent layer of salt and sand on the road, haha.

Looking forward to more drone shots!

Great photos BobButts!

Obviously the resort needs to invest in one for the awesome pics it could get.

I think we are heading for historically snowless this month. While there are some shots on the long range GFS I don't get a sense we are going to see any substantial pattern shift until at least late January.

It certainly looks like things will get a bit more active as we head into the second half of the month, and with average temperatures dropping every day, we’ve eventually going to start getting at least front side/back side snows from some events.  I was curious to see if the snowfall at our site was higher during the second half of December as average temperatures continue to fall, and indeed the data would suggest that; on average 43.2% of our monthly snow falls is in the first half the month, and 56.8% falls in the second half.  I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t loving this warm weather, but it’s obviously putting a huge damper on getting the natural snow season going.

It's great to have clean cars, roads and driveways and not worrying about tracking salt and sand in the house.  Just beautiful out.  Sunsets are at the earliest today and start getting longer tomorrow.  Sunrises continue to get later resulting in shortest day being the first day of winter.  Still some green grass for the deer, a rare Dec treat! 

I'll second PF's response, as our gravel road is a slime run at present.  Might be an ice run tomorrow.

Awesome inversion going on as the 950mb temps fall and the 850mb temps rise.  We've been getting colder in the base area (with a damp feel) to the point that it's slipped into the 29F range, while the summit is up to 32F.

Above the inversion.  Sunny and nice.

Below the inversion.  Cloudy and damp chill.

lol I loved Fort Kent...thought that was a pretty cool town being way the f up there. Would be an interesting place to live though.

I had bought one of my sleds from Frank up there at Fort Kent Skidoo, I ride up in that area some winters, Gets pretty dam cold and not a lot going on besides logging and snowmobiling

Another pretty nice Dec day with temps in the low to mid 40's.  Near calm conditions allowed me to play with the drone some more before flying season comes to an end with snowcover.   We have a ridge to our east that tops out at 1900 feet and the road climbs to around 1700 feet.  So took the drone up there and flew it  ( I'm going to get arrested with this thing)  1000 feet above ground level.  So in essence I was 2700 feet up.  I went up quick and back down and watched for any small plane traffic so I could dive the thing if I had to.  What a view.  South to Mt Monadnock.  West to  the Greens.  East over Lake Winnipseakee to the Ossipee's and northeast to Mountain Washington, the whole range of the Whites including Franconia Notch.  Long video so I am not going to upload it.

Anyway I know some of you guys check my webcam from time to time.  After always looking at that same static view I thought I would make a short video of my house and Netcam and then turn the drone around and go straight up a couple of hundred feet.  Kind of orientates you to my house and the lake. Webcam is on the edge of the house near the deck and the Davis station is on the long pole.  My anemometer is well above roof line but thick forest to the left (west) of my house protects me from strong W/NW winds.   If anyone is interested that short clip is here. At the end of the clip when I am at the highest I pan to the west.  Mount Cardigan 3100 feet is due west of me.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ahq7Ci0ujU

Another pretty nice Dec day with temps in the low to mid 40's. Near calm conditions allowed me to play with the drone some more before flying season comes to an end with snowcover. We have a ridge to our east that tops out at 1900 feet and the road climbs to around 1700 feet. So took the drone up there and flew it ( I'm going to get arrested with this thing) 1000 feet above ground level. So in essence I was 2700 feet up. I went up quick and back down and watched for any small plane traffic so I could dive the thing if I had to. What a view. South to Mt Monadnock. West to the Greens. East over Lake Winnipseakee to the Ossipee's and northeast to Mountain Washington, the whole range of the Whites including Franconia Notch. Long video so I am not going to upload it.

Anyway I know some of you guys check my webcam from time to time. After always looking at that same static view I thought I would make a short video of my house and Netcam and then turn the drone around and go straight up a couple of hundred feet. Kind of orientates you to my house and the lake. Webcam is on the edge of the house near the deck and the Davis station is on the long pole. My anemometer is well above roof line but thick forest to the left (west) of my house protects me from strong W/NW winds. If anyone is interested that short clip is here. At the end of the clip when I am at the highest I pan to the west. Mount Cardigan 3100 feet is due west of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ahq7Ci0ujU

Nice. The pond still looks low in water.

I was thinking UMFK.  Taught intro to forestry there for several years, as adjunct faculty.  Once one gets down to PQI, potatoes and broccoli are bigger than logging, though the sleds come thick and fast.

A lot more fields on the PQI side and more woods to traverse thru Portage to FK

Archived