• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter

mackerel_sky

Clearly said people have no kids. Why on earth would you want to deal with this crappy weather on Christmas when all it would do is prevent kids from actually enjoying Christmas day. Some people need to get a life.

Not necessarily. Just be smart enough not to give your kid a sled. We are about to have another bicycle Christmas. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you expect January to turn out like December?

Nope, I see Normal to slightly above normal temps with above normal precip for my neck of the woods. Cool, dreary days that are close to normal with most nights above normal due to the STJ.

Not going to cut it for most of us. Any meaningful

Pattern change will take place in late jan to early February. If we even get a pattern change that will produce. My thoughts haven't changed since September.

Nope, I see Normal to slightly above normal temps with above normal precip for my neck of the woods. Cool, dreary days that are close to normal with most nights above normal due to the STJ.

Pattern change will take place in late jan to early February. If we even get a pattern change that will produce. My thoughts haven't changed since September.

At this point, I would be ecstatic to see only slightly above normal temps. That would mean it will be much colder than this month. Snow is the least of my concerns right now. I just want it to feel somewhat like winter.

I don't think much will happen in GA or the Carolinas tomorrow with severe weather. Thursday could be another story.

I thought it was tomorrow night where the severe weather risk would be in Georgia. Like between midnight and 6am. Anyway, the fact is that with it being such a busy travel week it is a big concern.

That is correct. Tomorrow is the biggest risk not Thursday.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day2otlk.html

It really couldnt come at a much worse time. Tomorrow is a huge travel day for Christmas. Everyone's eyes will be on AL,TN, MS tomorrow. The last thing on people's minds is severe weather so I hope people in the TN Valley are not caught off guard and potentially even in GA tomorrow night.

It really couldnt come at a much worse time. Tomorrow is a huge travel day for Christmas. Everyone's eyes will be on AL,TN, MS tomorrow. The last thing on people's minds is severe weather so I hope people in the TN Valley are not caught off guard and potentially even in GA tomorrow night.

Yeah not a good time at all. The last time there were storms in GA there was no mention of a tornado threat and sure enough a couple tornadoes popped up out of nowhere.

I have that Heat Miser song stuck in my head. Is there a more fitting song to sum up this month ?

Black Peter:

All of my friends come to see me last night

I was laying in my bed and dying

Annie Beauneu from Saint Angel

Say "the weather down here so fine"

Just then the wind

Came squalling through the door

But who can

The weather command?

I see an average to slightly below average for the month with the second half of January being much colder/more sustained than the first half. However I do think even the first half will be slightly below average for the most part and we see a shot or two at some snow.

Clearly said people have no kids. Why on earth would you want to deal with this crappy weather on Christmas when all it would do is prevent kids from actually enjoying Christmas day. Some people need to get a life.

I'm not sure you know what we were referring to... it was to people wishing (elsewhere sites, not here) for the severe weather in the western part of the southeast later this week to pan out, basically because they're bored.

I don't know about you, but wishing for tornadoes is NOT my thing.  They bring too much injury, death and destruction.

Nothing to do with snow, or sledding. ;p

Yeah not a good time at all. The last time there were storms in GA there was no mention of a tornado threat and sure enough a couple tornadoes popped up out of nowhere.

Yeah I will say that FFC really is downplaying the GA threat for now in their discussion.  (It's always interesting to see how the maps that Birmingham puts out never match up with the maps FFC puts out, but I digress.)

I sincerely hope they are right and this is nothing, more so than I just about ever have wished for an event to not happen.  Some of the forecast soundings west of here for later this week were... truly horrible.

Sounds like May weather... RAH

FRI THROUGH SUN: AS OF THE LATEST MEDIUM RANGE MODEL RUNS...THIS
PERIOD WILL LIKELY BE DOMINATED BY SUB-TROPICAL RIDGING ALOFT OVER
THE SOUTHEAST U.S.. SOUTHERLY TO SOUTHWESTERLY RETURN FLOW AROUND
THE SURFACE HIGH WILL CONTINUE TO USHER WARM MOIST AIR INTO THE
REGION...RESULTING IN A VERY WARM AND MOIST PERIOD FOR THIS TIME OF
YEAR. THE OCCASIONAL UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE RIDING THE RIDGE MAY
GENERATING ENOUGH LIFT IN THE ANOMALOUSLY WARM MOIST AIRMASS TO KICK
OFF SOME SHOWERS...MAINLY IN THE AFT/EVE HOURS. THE GENERAL PRECIP
TREND FOR THIS PERIOD WILL BE CHARACTERIZED BY A LULL DURING THE
OVERNIGHT AND MORNING HOURS AND HIGHEST CHANCES DURING THE AFT/EVE.
THE INITIAL FRONTAL SURGE THAT WAS ORIGINALLY EXPECTED TO PUSH SOUTH
INTO THE AREA ON FRIDAY WILL LIKELY STAY WELL TO THE NORTH THROUGH
AT LEAST SUNDAY EVENING. LOWS THROUGH THE PERIOD WILL BE FAIRLY
CONSISTENT...AND WELL ABOVE NORMAL...IN THE MID 50S TO LOW 60S.
HIGHS WILL LIKELY FLUCTUATE A BIT MORE...BUT GENERALLY STAY BETWEEN
THE MID 60S AND UPPER 70S...WHICH IS 10-15 DEGREES ABOVE NORMAL FOR
LATE DECEMBER.

Based on currently forecast temps for KATL the following records will be set:

4 record highs (Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun)

5 record high min. temps (Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun)

1 tie (record high min. temp next Monday)

It absolutely sucks. But it is also utterly amazing and historic.

I'd be interested to know how many records nation wide will fall over the coming days. I'm sure some weather outlet will post a count of national record highs but the record high mins are often overlooked.

Based on currently forecast temps for KATL the following records will be set:

4 record highs (Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun)

5 record high min. temps (Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun)

1 tie (record high min. temp next Monday)

It absolutely sucks. But it is also utterly amazing and historic.

I'd be interested to know how many records nation wide will fall over the coming days. I'm sure some weather outlet will post a count of national record highs but the record high mins are often overlooked.

at this point you just have to embrace the history of it, we will be looking back on 2015 as the year of the torch christmas and saying "well at least it isn't as warm as it was that christmas"

saw a claim elsewhere that jp dice doesnt hype, well in the last 6 weeks today is the 3rd of 4th time he has warned about tornadoes a WEEK in advance, and one of those times it didnt even rain on his predicted day of severe/tornadoes......

i write this because some that have lived through a tornado get anxious when those type forecasts are made...worrying for a week is no fun.....

at this point you just have to embrace the history of it, we will be looking back on 2015 as the year of the torch christmas and saying "well at least it isn't as warm as it was that christmas"

Yep.  My forecasted low temperature tonight is 17º warmer than my normal high.  

Well at least there is some place in north america that's cold. Alaska in general is decently cold for them with temps in the -20s pretty widespread but they are expecting temps as low as -35 to -45 the next day or two. Only around 120 degrees colder than us lol.  But for the higher elevations around mt denali (was mt mckinley), . Only a -70 to -80 windchill.

There should be quite a warm up though in the next several days with many of the areas getting above zero or even around 10 within a week. That still sounds cold but  that's a 50  degree increase in temps. Hard to imagine a climate so cold that a 50 degree increase in temps only gets you into the single digits. :arrowhead:

Today
Scattered snow showers before 9am, then snow, mainly after 9am. Temperature falling to around -50 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as -70. West wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
Tonight
Snow, mainly before 3am. Low around -52. Wind chill values as low as -75. West wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Thursday
A 30 percent chance of snow before 9am. Mostly sunny, with a high near -25. Wind chill values as low as -80. West wind 20 to 30 mph increasing to 30 to 40 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph.
Thursday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around -30. Wind chill values as low as -65. Southwest wind 30 to 35 mph decreasing to 20 to 25 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph.

Looking back on my Facebook feed, it appears the previous two years we had warm weather the week of Christmas, too. This will be the third year in a row. I think this year it's warmer than the past two, but we had temps near 70 those years.

The last couple winters were definitely late-bloomers and at least turned out well for us NC posters. The first somewhat significant (>1") accumulating snowfall in 2014 was not until January 28th (We got ~1/2" on the 21st) and the first accumulating snowfall in 2015 did not occur until mid-February (with the big late-February storm getting us above average).

Perhaps this year will be more of the same. I'd definitely take it. 2013-2014 was an especially great winter here with two very cold snowstorms (including the big one in mid-February with temperatures in the low 20s and the smaller one with temperatures in the teens in late January) and then the big March ice/sleet storm.

Well at least there is some place in north america that's cold. Alaska in general is decently cold for them with temps in the -20s pretty widespread but they are expecting temps as low as -35 to -45 the next day or two. Only around 120 degrees colder than us lol.  But for the higher elevations around mt denali (was mt mckinley), . Only a -70 to -80 windchill.

There should be quite a warm up though in the next several days with many of the areas getting above zero or even around 10 within a week. That still sounds cold but  that's a 50  degree increase in temps. Hard to imagine a climate so cold that a 50 degree increase in temps only gets you into the single digits. :arrowhead:

Today
Scattered snow showers before 9am, then snow, mainly after 9am. Temperature falling to around -50 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as -70. West wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
Tonight
Snow, mainly before 3am. Low around -52. Wind chill values as low as -75. West wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Thursday
A 30 percent chance of snow before 9am. Mostly sunny, with a high near -25. Wind chill values as low as -80. West wind 20 to 30 mph increasing to 30 to 40 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph.
Thursday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around -30. Wind chill values as low as -65. Southwest wind 30 to 35 mph decreasing to 20 to 25 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph.

Must be nice! Antero Reservoir in Colorado reached -51 overnight for an actual temp! :snowing:  

Archived