• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mr Bob

East Tenn climate I would categorize by elevation, so a little of both.

12Z GFS showing lots of snow tease in the 11-15. Chances of severe are greater than those of snow. We all know they will cut north and be warmer.

President's Day weekend we went skiing in WV. Picked up 6 inches that Friday night and 8 that Sunday night. Friday night was a continuation the over achieving snow Northeast Tenn. Sunday night was an impressive fire hose from KY into WV all snow. Turned to mix in the morning but thankfully cut off quickly before ruining all the powder. Never been so happy to see a dry slot, lol!

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12Z GFS showing lots of snow tease in the 11-15. Chances of severe are greater than those of snow. We all know they will cut north and be warmer.

President's Day weekend we went skiing in WV. Picked up 6 inches that Friday night and 8 that Sunday night. Friday night was a continuation the over achieving snow Northeast Tenn. Sunday night was an impressive fire hose from KY into WV all snow. Turned to mix in the morning but thankfully cut off quickly before ruining all the powder. Never been so happy to see a dry slot, lol!

Hey Jeff, what are your thoughts on the potential for Severe Thunderstorms tomorrow night in East Tennessee?

Where your at there in Chattanooga, yeah, prob. will go north, lol, especially the way this winter has gone. Of course with phase 8 Mjo who knows.

Question for you guys..I remember in college the geography prof telling us that ET was a temperate climate because we didn't average 50 degrees all 12 months(January) but I've seen some sites that list us as sub-tropical. Has the climate criteria changed since I was in college?

If you look at most climate maps from either NOAA or other outlets only far south Florida is listed as tropical anywhere east of the Mississippi. Everything else is listed as temperate until you get to northen Maine to northern Minnesota.

Hey guys looking for some advice on some good, short, scenic, hiking trails. Any particular scenic hikes you would recommend? Needs to be something we can complete within 3 to 4 hours. Also, preferably places around TRI. Places I have been around here: Roan Mountain, Rock Creek Falls (Unicoi), Buffalo Mountain, and Elk River Falls. Thanks in advance!

Hey guys...so maybe a bit personal but looking for some advice on some good, short, scenic, hiking trails. Going to be going out with a girl tomorrow for a hike tomorrow since the weather is going to be nice. Any particular scenic hikes you would recommend? Needs to be something we can complete within 3 to 4 hours. Also, preferably places around TRI. Places I have been around here: Roan Mountain, Rock Creek Falls (Unicoi), Buffalo Mountain, and Elk River Falls. Thanks in advance!

If you're willing to do some driving, Cades Cove has some really good trails and views. I've never been to any of the mountain areas of Northeast TN, so I can't help you there.

The chance of a snow event isn't completely over for the area until April, but with the warm pattern coming for the next 2 weeks, odds are we won't see another accumulating snow event. 

If the season is indeed over, 2015-2016 ends with my area at 24 inches of snow for the season. Not a record shattering season but a solid season and my third straight over 20 inches. 

1965-1966  was a decent analog north of 40 with the very warm December into New Years and the turn to cold and snowy weather in January. Nashville did well in 1965-1966 as well as this year. The -NAO was a brief visitor but it delivered for them. -NAO in Nino winters produced 130-150 percent of normal snow for Central and Northern Middle Tennessee historically and did again this year.

Southern areas didn't fare very well. Mild overall winter due to the December torch and a normal February. Didn't get below 0 this year. Rarely got below 10 but the cold was opportune and set the stage for 3 5-8 inch snow falls in the northern areas. Lowest temp here was 3.  2009-2010 was a good analog beyond December. That year also featured a cold/snowy January to Valentines day then it warmed up. It also saw Knoxville fare inexplicably poorly in total snowfall as compared to most everyone in the state. 

Also pleased that even in the mild winter that flakes were in the air here in December, January, February and March. It's coated the ground twice here this week. When there was even marginal cold it managed to snow here.

I'm mildly interested in severe weather, have little interest in any weather that happens beyond then until that first big cold front in fall. So I'm already looking forward to how the Nina will evolve and what the pattern may hold for the Tennessee Valley.  

Great post John. Glad you topped 20in again for the 3rd year!

I ended up with 14.5in at the house for the season. The biggest event was the 4.5in clipper on Jan 21, then the 2day 4inch event on the 22nd and 23rd, where we picked up a half an inch early morning on the 22nd, then another inch the night of the 22, followed by the death band that set up along I81 right here, which dumped 3in snow Saturday AM in a couple hours.

Next up was the snow on Feb 9th where we picked up 2in that day and night, then Feb 12, another 1.5. Then we had the Valentine's Day snow that just barely verified here, but boy did it ever come in fast and furious. That was the heaviest rates of the winter, when 2.5in fell in just over an hour! Next day, we had freezing rain and rain that washed away a perfectly nice snow-uggh.

As far as temp goes, lowest was 9 degrees, and sadly I lost track of the sub freezing high temps. I know it was surprisingly quite a few.

I know this winter, every minute and even second of latitude made the difference. I hate it for snow lovers south of I81/40, as that was really the cuttoff for double digit snowfall it seems. Maybe next year will see more of us get into the action.

Now, bring on Spring!

Great post John. Glad you topped 20in again for the 3rd year!

I ended up with 14.5in at the house for the season. The biggest event was the 4.5in clipper on Jan 21, then the 2day 4inch event on the 22nd and 23rd, where we picked up a half an inch early morning on the 22nd, then another inch the night of the 22, followed by the death band that set up along I81 right here, which dumped 3in snow Saturday AM in a couple hours.

Next up was the snow on Feb 9th where we picked up 2in that day and night, then Feb 12, another 1.5. Then we had the Valentine's Day snow that just barely verified here, but boy did it ever come in fast and furious. That was the heaviest rates of the winter, when 2.5in fell in just over an hour! Next day, we had freezing rain and rain that washed away a perfectly nice snow-uggh.

As far as temp goes, lowest was 9 degrees, and sadly I lost track of the sub freezing high temps. I know it was surprisingly quite a few.

I know this winter, every minute and even second of latitude made the difference. I hate it for snow lovers south of I81/40, as that was really the cuttoff for double digit snowfall it seems. Maybe next year will see more of us get into the action.

Now, bring on Spring!

As far as the bolded, North Knoxville (North of I40) saw nowhere close to double digit snow amounts. I think I saw about 4 inches total (and 3 inches of that was in one system). Very frustrating winter.

No complaints here about this winter.I didn't expect much of anything.Like ,Jeff talked about before the winter the only thing we should have expected this way was clippers if we got lucky,i agree.The folks out west of us towards the Memphis and that area didn't see much of anything.But as far as us here.It's been around 5 years since we've seen anything worth anything.

• 2 weeks later...

12Z model suite is not inspiring. Thank goodness it is NCAA March Madness time! Kansas Jayhawks and Wichita State are both in now. Maybe Chattanooga can upset Indiana. Let the games begin!

Have Kansas in one bracket and UNC in the other. I think Izzo's team will make a big run and that haunts my picks a bit. Been a great year of KC sports if the Jayhawks win. Would be unbelievabel really.

12Z model suite is not inspiring. Thank goodness it is NCAA March Madness time! Kansas Jayhawks and Wichita State are both in now. Maybe Chattanooga can upset Indiana. Let the games begin!

Disappointed that Chatt beat my alma mater to make it to the dance, but would love to see that upset. Pulling really hard for UNC Wilmington today as well. Grayson Allen deserves a first-round embarrassment.

I'm a few days late, but I really think the committee dropped the ball this year.

Have Kansas in one bracket and UNC in the other. I think Izzo's team will make a big run and that haunts my picks a bit. Been a great year of KC sports if the Jayhawks win. Would be unbelievable really.

Yup Izzo could be the fly in the ointment for UNC. Again MSU has experience with the coach. Kansas title would make it an extraordinary time for KC sports. Wichita State is also representing the Sunflower State topping Arizona with authority. 

Chattanooga stayed with Indiana for a while, but Indiana figured out the pressure D. Then IU got red hot shooting the ball. Weekend weather points to more time indoors watching basketball...

Yup Izzo could be the fly in the ointment for UNC. Again MSU has experience with the coach. Kansas title would make it an extraordinary time for KC sports. Wichita State is also representing the Sunflower State topping Arizona with authority. 

Chattanooga stayed with Indiana for a while, but Indiana figured out the pressure D. Then IU got red hot shooting the ball. Weekend weather points to more time indoors watching basketball...

Welp. Beautiful day for weather and fifteen seed upsets! Whew!!!

Kansas is a lot better than we were when we played Michigan State in the November Champions Classic. Apparently we will not find out though since MSU is gone. Middle Tennessee State decided to make some noise for our state. Was that avenging Chattanooga? I am still not sure how Wichita State can dominate Arizona and then get shell shocked first half by Miami. Devil is in the details; play angry Shockers got beat by their own game. West Virginia got a really bad taste of their own medicine in a particularly harsh role reversal. I like Kansas in the title game with either UNC or Virginia. Kansas wins the National Championship!

Nrgjeff, can Kansas get over the tournament hump this year or will they choke like always in the tourney?

I have Kansas and UNC in the final game with UNC winning. MSU was in the final 4.

UNI and SFA should have won yesterday. The Northern Iowa game was the most epic meltdown in sports I have ever witnessed. Heck I would of chucked the ball backwards over my head before I gave them numerous free baskets under the goal. Just an unexplainable occurrence.

This has been a very entertaining tournament this year. I think that the first 4 days of the tournament is the most exhilarating in all of sports.

SFA should have won their game too. UNI was the worst meltdown in NCAA tournament history. Not just our imagination, sports writers looked up the historical games. Also with a 12 point lead and 44 seconds virtually any sports numerical model predicts 100% chance of winning. UNI decision making was hideous!

Kansas had a statistically more moderate debacle vs Michigan in the 2013 Elite Eight, but for Jayhawks that is the worst blown lead in recent memory. But does Kansas always choke? We met Kentucky in the 2012 championship, and won it all in 2008. Sure Kansas had some early exits, happens to other power houses too, but since 2003 KU is in the championship game every 4-5 years. The return time to the title game is on par with other top perennials. This year I hope is a return to cutting down the nets!

Thursday we are under a slight risk, but all I see is marginal wind/hail. Frankly I'm a lot more interested in my game.

Archived