Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Mr Bob

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a question. How good is the meteorologist at wxsouth? I'm thinking about getting a subscription to the site, but I'm not sure what the person's track record is.

Robert is an excellent met....puts a lot of effort and time into forecasts for the south and you can't find that anywhere. 

A really great view in CC from Sunday morning, taken by my friend Dwane from his back yard. I'll put up East Tennessee and it's views with any place in the country.

Agreed.  East Tennessee is one of the most varied geographical areas in the east with the plateau, then the ridge/valley area eastward from there, and of course the mountains.  It's one of the big reasons I moved here.  So much to see, and all within a day's drive. 

I got a question. How good is the meteorologist at wxsouth? I'm thinking about getting a subscription to the site, but I'm not sure what the person's track record is.

Agree with Mr. Bob and he is not that Robert, lol. Anyway WxSouth Robert is a solid met and explains things in great detail. Robert makes it understandable without sacrificing the science. Subscription page gets into even more detail than his posts anywhere. Make it a Small Business Day and try a subscription!

Agree with Mr. Bob and he is not that Robert, lol. Anyway WxSouth Robert is a solid met and explains things in great detail. Robert makes it understandable without sacrificing the science. Subscription page gets into even more detail than his posts anywhere. Make it a Small Business Day and try a subscription!

I'll try it out. Thanks.

Even thought the 18z GFS didn't show as much for us with the snow showers, it dropped the fantasy bomb all over the south later on. Of course it was gone on the 00z, but models are always all over the place and with the major arctic invasion likely coming, you never know when a storm will catch the arctic air in place and dump on you. Unlikely to happen but pretty to imagine.

acckucherasnowrv.png

This is the anniversary of one of the great snow events ever for me. In 1998 a dynamically driven monster snow event hit the Plateau and crushed Campbell, Scott and Fentress County. 8-24 inches fell. Not sure why, but in their official blurb MRX says 6-12 fell in the higher elevations of the Plateau. I had 16 inches myself and that was on the lower end in my area. It was one of 3 15+ inch snows that fell here in a 5 year period between 1993-1998. Not sure why MRX down plays the amounts so greatly. The power outages and snow totals were widely reported and recorded by news outlets. This like this are why the snow averages have fallen so greatly in the last 20 years. Not, imo, that it magically snows a whole lot less over the course of a decade or two.

This is the anniversary of one of the great snow events ever for me. In 1998 a dynamically driven monster snow event hit the Plateau and crushed Campbell, Scott and Fentress County. 8-24 inches fell. Not sure why, but in their official blurb MRX says 6-12 fell in the higher elevations of the Plateau. I had 16 inches myself and that was on the lower end in my area. It was one of 3 15+ inch snows that fell here in a 5 year period between 1993-1998. Not sure why MRX down plays the amounts so greatly. The power outages and snow totals were widely reported and recorded by news outlets. This like this are why the snow averages have fallen so greatly in the last 20 years. Not, imo, that it magically snows a whole lot less over the course of a decade or two.

I believe a week before that one, a bowling ball struck the southern apps providing a VERY heavy snowfall.  We had 24-36 inches in Johnson City, though I think there was a considerable amount less in Kingsport and other parts of the Tricities.  It was sunny and 54 in Nashville at the time of this one.  I remember having a conversation with my mother and her laughing at me thinking I was kidding that it had been snowing 3-4 inches an hour for several hours and her telling me it got to the mid 50's in Nashville and was sunny. Crazy storm and the heaviest snow I have ever witnessed.

I believe a week before that one, a bowling ball struck the southern apps providing a VERY heavy snowfall.  We had 24-36 inches in Johnson City, though I think there was a considerable amount less in Kingsport and other parts of the Tricities.  It was sunny and 54 in Nashville at the time of this one.  I remember having a conversation with my mother and her laughing at me thinking I was kidding that it had been snowing 3-4 inches an hour for several hours and her telling me it got to the mid 50's in Nashville and was sunny. Crazy storm and the heaviest snow I have ever witnessed.

I remember that quite well. I was very jealous at the time, not knowing my own crusher was coming a week later.

Even thought the 18z GFS didn't show as much for us with the snow showers, it dropped the fantasy bomb all over the south later on. Of course it was gone on the 00z, but models are always all over the place and with the major arctic invasion likely coming, you never know when a storm will catch the arctic air in place and dump on you. Unlikely to happen but pretty to imagine.

acckucherasnowrv.png

Ha ha, we can only hope! My heart skipped a beat or three at this map.

Jeff, I got another question. Do you see an active Severe weather pattern this spring, or is it too early to tell?

It may be too early but of course I'm going to try. Southern stream has been active and mostly warm when active. Even when it was snow, the systems were enhanced by baroclinicity or temperature contrasts. We do have the occasional north to south exception, one coming up next week, but it is not sustained like February 2014 or 2015. The west to east moving baroclinic systems are favored, which would favor some severe. Warm late February could bring March madness. Can't promise East Tennessee; it could be farther west. I call them Mid South Maulers, just like on Wednesday.

For those that are new to the board(tnweathernut and I rehash this quite often because it is a great story) I had like two inches of snow... :lmao: for that event.  No kidding!  I only live  twenty miles from JC.  A  guy at work called-in from JC, and said he wouldn't be able to make it.  Said he couldn't get out of his driveway.  We all laughed, figuring he was just taking a discretionary day.  Our snow was gone by mid-day.  He didn't come in for like an entire week.  Turns out, he was without power and had significant damage to his neighborhood w/ trees down.  He couldn't even get out of his driveway.  Johnson City got absolutely hammered, just plastered.  Finally, being in the snow goose that I am...I drive over there after hearing of the mayhem.  It was shocking.  Within two interstate exits, went from no snow to 2-3'.  Crazy.  Was like I would imagine lake effect snow bands.

It may be too early but of course I'm going to try. Southern stream has been active and mostly warm when active. Even when it was snow, the systems were enhanced by baroclinicity or temperature contrasts. We do have the occasional north to south exception, one coming up next week, but it is not sustained like February 2014 or 2015. The west to east moving baroclinic systems are favored, which would favor some severe. Warm late February could bring March madness. Can't promise East Tennessee; it could be farther west. I call them Mid South Maulers, just like on Wednesday.

Severe thunderstorm outbreaks in East Tennessee occur just as often as a blue moon. We can never get the favorable instability AND the wind shear at the same time it seems to me. 95% of the time, it's one or the other.

It was absolute madness and completely missed by forecasters MORE THAN ONCE throughout the day.  Original forecast was for light rain/snow mix and a high of 37, no accumulation.  

Mid to late morning we started seeing half dollar size flakes.  After an inch was on the ground, the NWS issued a WWA for our area for 1-3 inches.  It changed to rain and the inch+ melted pretty quickly, causing them to cancel the WWA. Around mid afternoon, a heavier burst of precipitation changed us back to half dollar heavy snow.  Within 30 minutes we had almost 2 inches.  

I was in a business class at ETSU that began at 3:50.  A winter weather advisory for 1-3 was reissued (yes after 2 inches) and surprisingly ETSU cancelled night classes.  Unfortunately, 3:50 wasn't a night class and our teacher refused to let us go for another hour.  After another hour of moderate to heavy snow as we all watched this unfold from our classroom, the teacher FINALLY let us go. (there was around 3.5 inches at this time).  It took me 45 minutes to get across town to my townhouse.  By the time I got there, we had over 4.5 inches and snowing so heavily I could hardly see across my street. Over the next hour another 2-3 inches fell.  

The 6PM news came on and Mark Reynolds was on.  He opened the segment by saying he wouldn't be surprised if we got 4 inches from the storm (we already had 6-7 on the ground in north JC). When he gave his normal weather report at 6:15 we had 7+ inches on the ground and he mentioned some lucky ones MIGHT get up to 6 or 7 inches.  Right after he said that, the power went out.

It snowed 3-4 inches an hour for 5-6 hours and there were transformers popping all over town.  We had around 26 inches at my townhouse (after settling) the next morning, but the south end of town saw 34-36 in spots.  Out of 55,000+ in town, 50,000 lost power. Just a crazy storm to witness!

Oh yeah, the teacher that wouldn't let us go wrecked her Camero in the snow and after sliding off the road had to walk the remaining 1.2 miles to her home...  :-)

That storm was amazing. At Bulls Gap near Exit 23 on I-81, nothing on the ground, 5 miles west of that in Mosheim...a foot of snow. Was incredible

c9aW8KU.jpg

Seriously though, that storm sounds incredible!  I would have been a senior in college on UT campus at the time and don't remember jack squat from that one.  Pretty sure we didn't get anything significant but to be fair those were hazy times in Fort Sanders. 

:guitar:

I lived in Southeast KY at the time.  We, also, were crushed by this one.  The pine forests around the area were as damaged by any ice storm I had ever seen in that area, since the snow fell at a temperature of 32-33 the whole time.  It was the heaviest snow--as far as actual weight--I remember seeing up to that point.  It stuck to everything, including the power lines.  12-15" fell, and that much heavy, wet snow is more than the average Virginia or Shortleaf Pine can handle.  I remember driving around Laurel Lake two days after, and it looked as if a hurricane had come through.  There were hundreds of pine trees laying near or across the road.  Most had been cut so traffic could pass, but the damage was widespread and many areas were impassable.  I won't soon forget the level of destruction that was caused by this powerful winter storm. 

Archived